Cambodia to become next shopping paradise for Chinese tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

Cambodia to become next shopping paradise for Chinese tourists

CDF Mall, the world's largest duty free shopping center funded by Chinese investment, set up its first overseas outlet in Cambodia in February during the Chinese New Year holiday. The shop targets Chinese tourists visiting the temples of Angkor Wat, reports the Shanghai-based China Business News.

Despite the scorching summer heat in Cambodia since the beginning of June, international tourists have been flocking to Siem Reap, the gateway to Angkor Wat with its more than 100 ancient temples.

CDF opened its new outlet in the city in February, with signs at the front of the store targeting Chinese tourists.

A number of lesser-known brands of clothing, leather goods, watches and cosmetics have set up shop in CDF's new store, which covers 4,500 square meters, the report said.

Indeed the Chinese mainland hordes have entirely taken over the small and once laid-back and quiet town of Siem Reap.

Luckily there is a new haven now available: Vietnam, who per 1st of July waives the Visa requirements for many Western countries. And very very few Chinese tourists there (thanks to politics and strong anti-Chinese sentiment in Vietnam recently)

Indeed the Chinese mainland hordes have entirely taken over the small and once laid-back and quiet town of Siem Reap.

Luckily there is a new haven now available: Vietnam, who per 1st of July waives the Visa requirements for many Western countries. And very very few Chinese tourists there (thanks to politics and strong anti-Chinese sentiment in Vietnam recently)

Hard to relate to Vietnam as a haven. That visa policy is smart. But, I find alot of the local people to be dour, stand offish, lacking a light heart, unfriendly and just not much fun to be around. Worse in the north. Been there three times over several years in the North and the South, and that has been my take on the place. Don't feel much desire to return. Am I wrong about the local people?

Cambodian people on the other hand are much warmer and alot more fun.

Edited by spidermike007

Hard to relate to Vietnam as a haven. That visa policy is smart. But, I find alot of the local people to be dour, stand offish, lacking a light heart, unfriendly and just not much fun to be around. Worse in the north. Been there three times over several years in the North and the South, and that has been my take on the place. Don't feel much desire to return. Am I wrong about the local people?

Spidermike, yes I think you are wrong about the Vietnamese people. I currently work in Vietnam and generally have found the people to be very friendly and helpful, enjoy a good laugh and are very approachable. On the other hand, while I found the Cambodians friendly, it was only to try to scam and cheat you as much as they could. Admittedly that was about six years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Spidermike, yes I think you are wrong about the Vietnamese people. I currently work in Vietnam and generally have found the people to be very friendly and helpful, enjoy a good laugh and are very approachable. On the other hand, while I found the Cambodians friendly, it was only to try to scam and cheat you as much as they could. Admittedly that was about six years ago, so maybe things have changed.

The Vietnamese were a little bit friendlier when I was traveling solo. Last two times I visited with my Thai wife. She can pass for a local as she has that sort of Chinese look. The local people HATED seeing a farang with one of their own (so they thought). They threw us some nasty and weird looks and their attitudes were piss poor most of the time. I have no time for people like that. We came away very underwhelmed by the place.

Are you finding the same with the local people who you do not work with and do not patronize? The general population? We found most to be neutral and indifferent, at best.