Franchising opportunities in Thailand?

Can anyone give me some advice of to what paperwork is required to open up an English language school franchise?

As a former teacher in Thailand looking to invest in a language school as a business, in the near future. I'm very interested to know what is required to do this. The right way as well without cutting any corners. Any details would be great. From the type of visa to working documents and police checks. I have just recently been offered to run a franchise for an English language school called Speak Up (see their site here http://speak-up.pl/en) and as a person with next to no experience with self-employment (I just worked at the position of an English teacher in for over 7 years) I'd like to ask some questions.

The main issues would be that - I don't know how to tell if a franchise market in a particular region is friendly or not - how do You guys tell? Are there any ratings? - and what are the realistic education franchise opportunities in Thailand? has anyone had any experience with this region? - also, what should I focus on as a starter? where to invest? how to run a successful low cost franchise? I'd be really more than grateful for a quick answer.

Having experienced the thai system before I don't want to make any mistakes.

Cheers

Edited by pejsata

I think this topic is better suited for the business forum, where I am moving it now.

Ask visa and work permit questions separately in the visa forum where the time comes for it.

No one can answer questions about the viability of your own ideas. The answers come from doing due diligence which you can read about from this link.

As for the more generic questions about legalities people can help you with that. As I have no interest in it I'll leave that for others. Just for me you sound like someone who's really inexperienced and who shouldn't be opening any business until after running such a business for someone else. You really don't want to learn from experience while using your own baht.

Cheers.

Do you plan on franchising Speak Up language schools to other folks in Thailand? or do you plan on opening your own?

I would think it would be best to open your own if you want to keep the standards up.

I think these language schools fall under the tutor category, and hence there are supposedly no business taxes involved if I remember correctly. These are news popping up a few times per year talking about introducing taxes for these tutor / language schools.

I don't think police will bother you other than for working visa issues.

It would be best to start at the suburbs of bangkok where there are good schools, middle income, and somewhat developed. Or an area with large dense population such as srinakarin, lat phrao. Bangkok city center rent is probably too high. Most folks start language schools either renting a space in a community mall, or renovating townhouses.

You will probably not want to advertise Speak Up as being originated from Poland. Even though it may be good, there is a stigma attached to English lanugage schools that are not related to a country where English is not a mother tongue. Thais like to hear that is is UK / US related system or company.