Cable madness entangles Pattaya

Rimmer

Cable madness entangles Pattaya

n7wires.jpg

PATTAYA:--In Pattaya, cables go up, but they never come down.

The gravity defying cables are the ones hanging high, and sometimes low, from the city’s utility poles. There are electric wires, phone lines, lots of Internet lines and, of course, cables for cable TV.

When customers sign up, technicians put one up. But the work is done hurriedly, often shoddily, and almost never is the old customer’s dead line removed. The result is a spiraling string of spaghetti that hangs down, shorts out and, occasionally, bursts into flames.

The area currently getting the most complaints is around Soi Paniadchang in central Pattaya, home to the Redemptorist School for Persons with Disabilities. In the 800 meters from the school to Central Road, eight jumbles of wires were found, some posing obstacles for wheelchair users.

Some cables have simply been tied and left on traffic barriers for ages, despite the fact each line transmits a small amount of heat and even electric current.

On Naklua Soi 16 near Phothisamphan School, a food vendor was waiting for a reporter who said wire shorts caused a connected transformer to explode a week ago.

The Provincial Electrical Authority got the lights back on, but the cables were left behind.

The unprofessional and non-standard work of “technicians” is prevalent in Pattaya and residents want the mess cleaned up.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/cable-madness-entangles-pattaya-48326#sthash.hTO2tdWK.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-06-26 footer_n.gif

Everywhere I've lived there's been something like this outside my house but the thing that gets me is when a maintenance crew arrives and balances their ladder against the ' bird's nest ' before getting to work.

The Health and Safety mob in many countries would freak out if they saw such things that are common practice here.

Everywhere I've lived there's been something like this outside my house but the thing that gets me is when a maintenance crew arrives and balances their ladder against the ' bird's nest ' before getting to work.

The Health and Safety mob in many countries would freak out if they saw such things that are common practice here.

It's the same all over Thailand. In the communications industry this is called a swarm.

You think Pattaya is bad...

Remember Pattaya a few years ago, people with long poles with a cross bar at the top lifting the cable so a carnival float possession could pass under.

But this is not just a Pattaya problem..

post-20091-0-75275700-1435302043_thumb.j

taken in Samui a few weeks ago.

Danger Danger, high voltage, who sang that?

These are fibre optic data transmissing cables slung under (primarily) 220 VAC Single phase (385 3 Phase + N) insulated cables. No hazard other than the "crush" effect.

6.6 Kv primary distribution are slung above this lot out of harms way (hopefully). Still very much a danger when the minivan hits the pole!

a graphic representation of everything that is wrong with Thailand and the way almost all things are built and maintained. a perverse pride in poor workmanship. always a shortcut. no idea how something should be done. and they keep adding to the mess. even with a billion dollar telcom company. a deep look into the mind of a Thai. I think they enjoy the chaos. as it is with so many other the things they do.

Edited by NCC1701A

that pedestrian bridge video says it all. i am sure they thought this was a clever solution. you can even see the pvc pipe in the concrete. it is 2015. very sad for Thailand as they just keep digging a bigger hole.

the crew who rebuilt the road and underground water flood pipes in my upscale neighborhood in Hua Hin really did not understand that water runs downhill and seeks the lowest level. a total waste of tax dollars.

Danger Danger, high voltage, who sang that?

These are fibre optic data transmissing cables slung under (primarily) 220 VAC Single phase (385 3 Phase + N) insulated cables. No hazard other than the "crush" effect.

6.6 Kv primary distribution are slung above this lot out of harms way (hopefully). Still very much a danger when the minivan hits the pole!

Thankyou for the very helpfull info, perhaps you should inform the correct authorities

oh what a tangled web we weave ,what a mess and its getting worse by the day all you have to do is walk along soi buakhao and you will see the mess but its not just this soi its most sois and its something which should be sorted asap .

There was / is a whole thread running here at TV about the mess of cables in Pattaya and unfortunately it all comes down to the owners of the poles (the electric company) not enforcing any rules

In most of the world you have to pay to use the poles and if you are paying to put a cable on a pole you damn well make sure that it is a functioning cable since you are being charged for it

But the electric company can't be bothered to collect the money (rent) so this is the result, a mess

Thais love money yet it is unbelievable all the opportunities to make money they just piss away, from collecting property tax (the tax is so low it is not worth trying to collect it), to the cops who would rather collect 100 THB from 10 helmetless motorcycle drivers than to collect 1,000 THB from one bus or truck that makes an illegal U-turn

What has happened, if anything, regarding that power pole in Pattaya that collapsed a few weeks ago due to all the wires strung up, plus probably crap job of installing pole in the first place? Amazing Thailand.

There was / is a whole thread running here at TV about the mess of cables in Pattaya and unfortunately it all comes down to the owners of the poles (the electric company) not enforcing any rules

In most of the world you have to pay to use the poles and if you are paying to put a cable on a pole you damn well make sure that it is a functioning cable since you are being charged for it

But the electric company can't be bothered to collect the money (rent) so this is the result, a mess

Thais love money yet it is unbelievable all the opportunities to make money they just piss away, from collecting property tax (the tax is so low it is not worth trying to collect it), to the cops who would rather collect 100 THB from 10 helmetless motorcycle drivers than to collect 1,000 THB from one bus or truck that makes an illegal U-turn

Where are the copper thieves when you really need them?

In my country all this would be gone and sold within a week, and the electric companies would be forced to put them in a conduit.

In Bangkok I have seen these wires crossing and actually tied to the metal handrails on the pavement side overbridges--sick.gif

Yep and with metal ties which cut into the insulation... don't you just love the way they fizz during heavy rain.....

I have seen these rat's nests spontaneously combust. This was after we heard what we thought was a shotgun blast - took out all the power on my soi for a few hours. The repair job was pathetic.

post-30837-0-89853900-1435565107_thumb.j

Edited by smccolley