What Makes the Expat Lifestyle So Addictive?

The best part about being an expat is you donot need a single thing other than money. You can live out of a suitcase,eat in restaurants,never cook,clean or launder, have women as whim and be mobile go where you want when you want. Thailand today,Phillipines tommorrow. Do what ever you want just keep the wallet full. A gypsy with no home. It is total freedom.

Sounds good in theory, but lack of discipline is a recipe for disaster.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest majority of men probably from most countries are addicted to alcohol. they meet other expats and cannot go a day without alcohol.

They have all day to themselves most times with good pensions, and a wife who only married them for their money. There are exceptions to this.

The expats I have known over here for years who are still alive like a drink, there is nothing wrong with that, and I have never seen any of them drunk, and

I'm proud to have them as mates, but I keep hearing from this one and that one about someone being drunk.

Without alcohol the expat lifestyle would not be addictive, and as I said, most of them need to be near beer all the time.

What a sad point of view. Enjoying being an expat has absolutely nothing to do with alcohol.

The quote at the start of the thread is a good start" “It’s like becoming a Switzerland, neutral – politically and emotionally – and experiencing a culture without having to be involved with the internal affairs.”"

I have lived outside my home country since 1978 and would hate to go back and live where "I belong". Living inside another culture is endlessly fascinating. You can never fully understand what is going on, and there are daily opportunities for amusement and bemusement. You gain a more balanced and rounded world view; and hopefully a great deal more tolerance.

I am referring to the expats who have retired here, they rely on alcohol to get through their day. I emphasis again, not them all, but most of them.

It is not a sad point of view. Just imagine what would happen if somehow alcohol gets banned in Thailand, and you can't get it. What percentage of

expats would be making arrangements to return to their home country? IMO, I would say about 80% of them.

I am not against responsible drinkers, I am with them regularly. I just hate drunks, and can find no excuse for it. As an ex professional musician, I have been amongst

alcohol all my life, and all my family were/are drinkers. Drink responsibly and I have no problem with it.

I am an expat who has retired here, don't rely on alcohol to get through my day; and neither do any of the many other retired people that I know who live here. Because we all have lives, hobbies, sports, families.

I know who you mean. The sad men who are propping up a bar stool at 1000 and don't move from there for the rest of the day. They are prominent because they are visible; but I suspect that the vast majority of retired expats here live interesting and fulfilling lives.

Hmmmmm.......if you are asking the question relative to expats living in Thailand then the many reasons, both personally or publically would be more or less relevant to Thailand in particular ...but of course having many of same base reasons regardless of where you set up shop and decide to stay.

If you are talking corporate expats then that is but a small percent really as compared to the people ( probably 95% men ) who decide to make Thailand their home base and made of their own decisions and their own making.

Many came here for business reasons and end up involved in some sort of business enterprise that keeps them here permanently or certainly coming back all the time.

Many are people who have traveled to Thailand many times and then try to live here and make a living some how and stay as long as the money affords them to stay.

Many are retirees who stay here because they have enough money to stay in near any place.......but they choose Thailand as their base.

As to why they stay to the point of being categorized as an expat???

Warm weather: "The Tropics...... and all that it envisioned and imagined and turns out to be true to life...hot.... sweaty and sultry...and never bone chilling cold...... rather like an "Endless Summer" atmosphere when you were a teenager enjoying the glory of your youth.

The Adventures and the Possibilities: If you are not here then there is no chance of experiencing the adventures to be experienced and or the possibilities to be had if you are not here....so you have to stay around to build up a portfolio of interesting experiences not to be had back in your home town area ...or certainly not like the sort of experiences you would have if you stayed at home.

The travel aspect and the exploration aspect of living in a country or region that has an abundance of interesting and stimulating history and makes for the thought of living in THAT part of the world far more stimulating than living in your home town.

Many people claim they feel alive and or reborn when living as an expat in countries such as Thailand claiming their soul was dying while living in their home town and home country.

To be someone that you can not be back in your home town or home country and do things that you could not or would not do back in your home town or home country.....claiming a sense of freedom they could not experience in their home town environment

If you are a man, then women and sex and romance is a big factor and even if you do not have women and sex and romance on your mind as a significant part of your expat agenda it does not change the fact that it is very stimulating and always pleasant to be surrounded by femininity...... in abundance.

Some are here ( maybe a lot ) because they are trying to escape a life of mundane existence and feel the need to travel as they have "wanderlust" in their blood and soul.

I could list more reason or possible reasons......but there are too many ...... while the reasons listed are somewhat universal amongst expats.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

If you exclude the few corporate types, and Christians, the majority of expats in Thailand came here for sex with locals.

Feel free to object if you have NEVER had sex with a Thai.

Yeah, OK, there are a few western single women living here, I have no idea why, it ain't that great a place.

The drunks, nah, plenty of other countries where booze is better and cheaper.

If you exclude the few corporate types, and Christians, the majority of expats in Thailand came here for sex with locals.

Feel free to object if you have NEVER had sex with a Thai.

Yeah, OK, there are a few western single women living here, I have no idea why, it ain't that great a place.

The drunks, nah, plenty of other countries where booze is better and cheaper.

Where else do they still play Hotel California and tie your shoes afterwards.

24 years ago I came here, because Thailand rocked! It was Wild West, Hades, Eden, and Avalon, all in one! It was like drug back then and - yes - addictive.

14 years ago I was still here, because - even though Thailand had lost a lot of its previous luster - it still was much better and gave me more freedom than other countries. Wild West was gone, Hades remained, Eden became a kind of "nice garden", Avalon was gone, no mysteries anymore, just hard cash business.

4 years ago I was still here, because it was still more convenient and cheaper to live here than in my home country. The realization that I am a second class citizen here forever fully settled in, but could not shock me anymore as I would be a second class citizen in my own home country, where immigrants get everything including university degrees stuck up their butts free of charge while the hard working country people have to eat S__t... Hades (in form of a "parental guidance strictly advised" label kinda hell) was still there, Eden turned into a home for the elderly, and hard cash ruled. Idiots in red and/or yellow shirts ruined what was left.

Today, I still am here, just because of better weather and a few remaining liberties I can enjoy here, which my home country would not grant me, and because I believe that there will be war in Europe soon. So I am still here because I think Thailand is safer in the future years of turmoil to come, but I am certainly not here anymore because I am addicted to it or because I believe it is the coolest place to live in. Addictive it might still be for single guys, but for a family man it definitely is not...

I came for almost the same reasons a you....but still enjoy it the full.....as life in my European country has become dull and heavily taxed....

I don't drink, I don't hang around cafes I'm not addicted to sex......but I would be proud to be called "addicted to adventure". I have no fear of been classed as "homeless" because in the end I have no doubt that the process of dying is one trip I will be taking alone......no matter what soil I'm on.

Quote Stan42: “The carefree lifestyle and the chance to do what you want, whenever you want. I am unproductive but happy..........."

I like that and quite a few of the other posts regarding the expat life here.

My last few jobs in high-powered, high pressured executive type roles suited me because I was a "type A" personality, so the fact that I eventually hit a brick wall and burnt out meant that I had to re-evaluate my life. This was made easier by the fact that the constant stress had given me a medical condition that could easily turn nasty if I continued in this mode.

Basically my doctor told me to change my lifestyle or die and early death, so I took a chance on Thailand, selling everything in my home country and moving here, not without some trepidation I may add.

Now, after living here for nine years, I have a completely different outlook on life and more importantly, and I am under no stress whatsoever.

I often forget what day it is and the weeks just fly by, however I try to fit in something out of the ordinary a few times a week (helping friends with moving, electrical stuff, repairs etc) just to make life interesting.

I read the online newspaper from my home country and like to keep up-to-date with things, but as there is nothing that affects me, I really don't bother taking too much on board. The same goes with this country because I'm merely a guest here and sure I moan about the place, however I try to let it go over my head because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

The mindset is completely different and I try not to let anything bother me any more, just get on with my life and spend time relaxing and on the computer, because relaxing was something that was totally alien to me, now I'm an expert at it!

I have friends who own bars and I may go out to visit them a couple of times a week, but that's about it. I'm not a big beer drinker although I do like my red wine and drink at least half a bottle with dinner every evening. Never touch a drink during the day and you won't see me in a bar before about 9:30 p.m. on the two days I do go out.

I can live here much more cheaply than I can back in NZ and when people asked me when I am coming back, I just tell them, "never" and explain that here I can rent a nice apartment for peanuts compared to Auckland, can afford to eat out whenever I want to because eating here in European type restaurants is still much cheaper than back home, can chat away to everyday Thai girls working in shops such as Boots, as well as girls working at the bars and am never told to "<deleted> off grandad" or treated with disdain, AND as I have managed my money pretty well, I will never have to worry about working again and will have enough money to last me for my lifetime, with hopefully enough left over to provide a future for my ex-girlfriend and her daughter.

I may add that I have made friends with many Thai people and I respect them and they respect me, and that has put the icing on the cake for me.

The place isn't perfect, but then again nowhere it is, but the lifestyle I lead suits me down to the ground, and to quote Stan42 again, "the carefree lifestyle and the chance to do what you want whenever you want..........".

Well interesting, I have a base in my home country but I travel often. My second home is Thailand and i make sure not to drink much and keep a healthy life with lots of activities , have good friends to travel together and do many things here not to get bored. And I make sure to see one or two different country every year. And yes i enjoy the whole thing.

Your home is where you are happy.

Fractured Rabbit. I hope your post is true, and the best of luck to all the expats who have other interests, and don't drink every day of the week.

Yes, of course it's true; and indeed the secret is to have interests. Mine are photography and windsurfing, neither of which attract people who want to nurse a drink all day. This is a great place to do the things that interest you with good weather, reasonable prices and a wide range of activities to pursue.

Laza

Your right I have lived and worked in the same <deleted> ry's and still in shit house Perth Australia on and off, and sick to death of paying and paying and tax's and BAS and Gst land rate's water rates,the list go's on ,i don't rent house but they average around $ 580 real basic, food only $360 a week I don't drink ,diesel $ 1.80 LT, the shit list go's on, quite Easley spend $ 1400 per week. Baht say 37000 + -

Phuket we own our house, I pay water 200 bht per month, I pay120 bht for 3 months to collect rubbish everyday , I pay electric 1400 bht per month my whole house is aircon , I pay internet fiber optic 1100 bht per month , I pay house landline 620 bht per month , food shoping house average 5000 bht per week. So do ya sums

And I have a loverly women of 8 years to root she's free

What more do's a man or women want, im no expat and I don't want to be, but boy can you guy's talk some good shit.

I love Thailand and always will, this is my home.

OLDMANHARRY

I dont think they are addicted at all. I think theres a lot of presuming and not verifying facts. From a newcomer may look like lust and beers and paradise. Retired on pensions probably bored out of their brains and the pub and a beer over dinner is more like a ritual than a need. Others mostly family men and i dont expect their lives are glamourous at all. Way off the mark imo

My life had become a bloody routine, and actually all I wanted was a community when I'm old.

I got something far better: a loving intelligent woman, a family, and lots of friends in Thailand. And it's never boring.

My favourite hobby is music (from Blues to Ragas), and, of course, I like Thai women very much. Hopefully they like me, too.

Edited by micmichd

^^^^, I dont trust any man who doesnt take a drink.

There's some truth in there. I always say, "If you want to see the true face of any man, make him drunk!"

Most friends I partied with, when drunk, were like me; just more talkative and funnier than usual, but I also met some guys who turned into aggressive morons once they reached a certain level with some of them using abusive language and insults trying to pick fights with whomever would give them the eye, some turned into helpless crybabies and one (the most remarkable one) turned from a daytime pain in the a_se whoknowitall into the kindest guy on earth whom you just wanna hug and cuddle... This said, a person who does not touch a drink might do this just trying to hide his true colors...

Shocking I find the quote, "Man, I was hammered yesterday beyond believe, total blackout, can't remember a thing!" spoken in a way like it was one of his greatest achievements ever... I really hate it when someone is drunk and then talks and acts like he is your greatest pal and understands you so well, blahbla, even perhaps is coming up with ideas of projects he could do with you some day, or you come up with an idea and he says, "Yeah, let's do that - great idea, partner!" whatever... And then next day you hear that "blackout" phrase... Also then you know what kind of person you have in front of you, a superficial, unreliable, lying loser drunk who is not worth a minute of your time.

Yupp, alcohol is a good selector tool when it comes to trust, friendship, etc. if you are able to use it in a controlled way. Just too many expats here who went down south and flew penniless (or in a coffin) back to their home country were alcohol addicts. Many of them were no drunks but became addicted here in LOS. I on the other hand had some of the best ideas when I was drunk here in Thailand, but (praising the lord on my knees) never became addicted. Thus, alcohol can be heaven or hell, revelation, curse or salvation just depending on the way you handle it and depending on your own mindset, emotional strength and self-discipline.

Expat., (expatriate) n, A generally used term for British people who like to complain about where they have come from and where they are now with no particular blending.

Dimwit/ (stupid idiot) n. Someone who has to have a pop at the Brits, for no apparent reason than to think they are being smart, but are really numbingly lame.(pathetic)

When my second wife and I split up I planned to travel around Australia in a camper, but before I bought one a friend offered me free accomadation in Thailand for a month.

In that month I fell in love with the place, met a lady and we are still together.

I look back on what I was going to do with no regrets, staying there would have meant me settling in a caravan park trying to live on a pension hoping someone would stop to talk to me and hoping for a vist from the kids

Instead I bought a 135sqmt 4th floor condo on the beach at Banchang Rayong my Thai lady and I have been together 3 years now and not once in that time has she every raised her voice to me, not spoken to me a couple of times but that's all. She is very frugal dislikes the big shops with the big prices and loves to shop at the markets.

So all in all yes I am addicted to Thailand and never want to leave and my kids visit often, even my ex wife want's to visit, but that is another story.

Expat., (expatriate) n, A generally used term for British people who like to complain about where they have come from and where they are now with no particular blending.

Dimwit/ (stupid idiot) n. Someone who has to have a pop at the Brits, for no apparent reason than to think they are being smart, but are really numbingly lame.(pathetic)

Hmmmm, I wonder where Optrex is from.......whistling.gif

Its not hard to guess really is it!!

The irony about Nigel's post is that most Brits are good for the banter and give as good as they get. His sulk puts a bit of truth into the jest here!

Edited by optad

The irony about Nigel's post is that most Brits are good for the banter and give as good as they get. His sulk puts a bit of truth into the jest here!

Sorry to dissapoint you, 'Optrex' (good one Trans) but I ain't sulking at all, I just think you are lame to 'tar everyone with the same brush', so to speak. If you get to know some Brits, maybe you will find they aren't so bad, as are most Americans, and most Aussies same. Toodle pip....

I can buy alcohol much more cheaply in the UK than I can in Thailand.

The main reason I like it in Thailand is that I feel free from the constant rules of nanny-state UK. I rely on my own common sense to survive instead of having a million and one 'Health and Safety' rules which are quite absurd, but everyone adheres to them 100% because their insurance is not valid if they don't - and with the ridiculous suing culture we received from the USA, they dare not risk it.

And I would say the Thai public are much happier and laid back than those in the UK (well, outside of Bangkok anyway). And if you keep yourself to yourself, everybody pretty much leaves you alone. In the UK the government never leave you alone : they are constantly trying to get money out of you so they can spend it on single parent families who have just had a 3rd child to a 3rd father and now qualify for a free house and car.

Yeah, but what about the availability of a lovely 20-something with whom to drink it ?

The problem with 'banter' - is that some have lost the meaning of it. For some it has become a series of constant put downs, sarcastic remarks, cutting criticisms (often out of place and/or over the top for the situation or just unneeded and not necessary). My comment here has nothing directly to do with Brits. But rather Expats in general ... there are some who just cannot see themselves as others see them ... that lack of being self-aware - know how your personality is received by others. TV Sit-Coms have a lot to do with creating this sarcastic creature as the content of sit-coms is just as I describe above.. I yearn for true banter...