Deformed mutt is crowned World's Ugliest Dog

Jonathan Fairfield

Deformed mutt is crowned World's Ugliest Dog

nklfGo.png

PETALUMA, California (AP) — A 10-year-old mutt named Quasi Modo, whose spinal birth defects left him a bit hunchbacked, is the winner of this year's World's Ugliest Dog contest.

The pit bull-Dutch shepherd mix and his owner took the $1,500 prize Friday night, besting 25 other dogs competing in the contest that applauds imperfection, organizers said.

Quasi Modo was abandoned at an animal shelter before being adopted by a veterinarian in Loxahatchee, Florida, according to his biography posted on the contest's website.

"My appearance can be a little unsettling to some (I have had grown men jump on top of their cars to get away from me because they thought I was a hyena or Tasmanian devil) but once they get to know me I win them over with my bubbly personality," his biography said.

Two Chinese crested and Chihuahua mixes named Sweepee Rambo and Frodo took the second- and third-place prizes, respectively.

An 8-year-old Chihuahua named Precious received the "spirit award," honoring a dog and owner who have overcome obstacles and/or are providing service to the community. Precious, who is blind in one eye, is trained to monitor smells related to low blood sugar levels and alert her owner, a disabled veteran, of the problem, her biography said.

The contest, held at the Sonoma-Marin Fairgrounds in Petaluma, California, is in its 27th year.

The dogs are scored by a three-judge panel in several categories, including special or unusual attributes, personality and natural ugliness.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-27

Try visiting the home for Bangkok's discarded dogs and cats. Its a literal house of horrors. The ugliest dog in the world wouldn't even rate a space in that particular haven for unfortunates.

Despite the excellent work the the staff do at that shelter, there are a number of animals who have a very poor quality of life.

A friend took me along on my birthday, as a way to make merit and give a donation, I fed every animal there. It was truly heart breaking.