1941 photos of Thailand..Mostly Chiangmai

mania

re

Some 40 cool old photos (1941) mostly Chiangmai actually all Chiangmai I believe

great post mania .. thank you .... i recognise quite a few of the places

but the democracy monument is in bangkok not chiang mai

and heres a pic of wat chidi luang taken in jan15

dave2

ps ... the girls obviously had bigger #### then

im being done with the fried eggs they have now :)

post-42592-0-84238800-1435407820_thumb.j

post-42592-0-72699500-1435407942_thumb.j

Would be interesting to know what happened to the

2 VW s in that picture.

regards Worgeordie

For sure..but that pic must be late 40's as i believe VW Kombi wasn't made until '47 or later...great pics tho...bring back the ladies of shape as they were then please...wai2.gif

Right.. it can't be 1941 as those VW Type 2 Transporters were only produced from 1950 onwards.

And then presumably it would take some time for them to make it to Thailand and Chiang Mai.

I'm familiar with some of the pictures, many are from the 1950s and 1960s.

Still, very good shots. :)

Right.. it can't be 1941 as those VW Type 2 Transporters were only produced from 1950 onwards.

And then presumably it would take some time for them to make it to Thailand and Chiang Mai.

I'm familiar with some of the pictures, many are from the 1950s and 1960s.

Still, very good shots. smile.png

The second picture ( beauty contest ) was taken in 1965

Yes as some have mentioned it looks like maybe they meant pictures as old as or starting with 1941?

The one of Narawat Bridge (16th photo) has a caption that reads 1953 Nawarat Bridge

The one with the Chiangmai sign (23rd photo) is captioned 2503 which would be 1960

re

it can't be 1941 as those VW Type 2 Transporters were only produced from 1950 onwards.

is this a type 2 ?

i knew there was someting different with my pic of the stupa at wat chedi luang

in 05 when i got here there was a row of big half elephant figures all round it !

now theyve gone :(

dave2

post-42592-0-40381700-1435450727_thumb.j

post-42592-0-72521600-1435450750_thumb.j

post-42592-0-11988400-1435450779_thumb.j

Yes as some have mentioned it looks like maybe they meant pictures as old as or starting with 1941?

Yes, I think ( almost sure ) that the pictures with topless women are taken in 1941 ( as I understand, it was the last year it was permitted ), after there was the "thai dress mandate ", issued 15 january 1941 by Plaek Pibulsongkram

here is what is permited and not permited ( 1941 )

thai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png?

My Thai partner informs me that according to the style of dress none of those ladies are Chiang Mai locals... Mostly Bali :-(

True ! after reading your post, I made some research and found two ( n° 15 ( school girls ) and 25 ) which are from Bali ( N° 15 october 1941 , n°25 I don't know the date but taken by Dutch people )

other pictures, I didn't find anything

for those interested ( sorry, it's about Indonesia ) fantastic pictures here when Indonesia was Dutch

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=/COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bXGPVerkBM3guQS5loCIDw&ved=0CDYQ7Ak&biw=1137&bih=634#tbm=isch&q=/COLLECTIE+TROPENMUSEUM

Yes, I think ( almost sure ) that the pictures with topless women are taken in 1941 ( as I understand, it was the last year it was permitted ), after there was the "thai dress mandate ", issued 15 january 1941 by Plaek Pibulsongkram

here is what is permited and not permited ( 1941 )

thai_dress_mandate_by_pibunsongkram.png?

I can remember in the nineteen eighties when a lot of the village matrons would wear a sarong with a bra (usually white) over the top of the sarong.

re

Some 40 cool old photos (1941) mostly Chiangmai actually all Chiangmai I believe

great post mania .. thank you .... i recognise quite a few of the places

but the democracy monument is in bangkok not chiang mai

and heres a pic of wat chidi luang taken in jan15

dave2

ps ... the girls obviously had bigger #### then

im being done with the fried eggs they have now smile.png

Here is an image I took of Chedi Luang before the 1993 (?) renovation. As you can see, it looked much more atmospheric and compelling before they slapped on all the concrete and cut the surrounding vegetation. I was horrified to see what they had done to it. Ah well.

post-91025-0-82266100-1435473077_thumb.j

OK. I am completely confused now. I have yet to see a Thai woman with breasts that size. (natural anyway) Either these pictures are not correct or something has caused the Thai breast to shrink dramatically over the past 60 years or so.

Archived