U.S. marriage equality ruling will reverberate internationally

Jingthing

I was thinking about this today before I read this.

The USA while obviously very far from an early adopter with marriage equality is a very big, very powerful, very culturally influential nation.

It still has the world's largest economy and as a nation of immigrants it has personal connections to every nation on the planet. Not to mention Hollywood movies.

The recent landmark ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court mandating 50 state marriage equality is a very big deal called the most impactful civil rights change in this generation.

Now, nations that are hostile to the USA like Russia and the Isis caliphate will likely become even more hostile.

But many other nations that don't yet have marriage equality which are either USA neutral or pro-USA are likely to feel these winds of change from Yankee Land.

It seems I am not the only one thinking this.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2015/06/27/celebrations-marriage-equality-around-world

Australia:

One supporter in Australia's legislature said the landmark ruling in the U.S. is the loudest call yet for marriage equality in her country.

"We clearly have some catching up to do here," Senator Janet Rice said in a statement

Philippines:

About 500 people carrying signs and streamers saying "Fight for Love" and waving rainbow banners marched around Rizal Park. Some brought along pets dressed in rainbow costumes.
Jonas Bagas, executive director of the pro-LGBT rights group TLF Share, said the U.S. ruling "will reverberate in other corners of the world."

A now the billion baht question ... as Thailand enters its next democratic phase (hope springs eternal) will this influence Thailand as well?

Edited by Jingthing

As you say, JT, hope springs eternal.

Maybe it depends on what the Thai government wants to get from the US.

Well, I don't really think this has to do with what the Thai government would want to get from the U.S.

I think it's more about changing public opinion on legalizing gay relationships.

A lot of people do notice big social changes in the U.S.

The world beyond the U.S. was excited as well when the U.S. elected it's first black president, and made too much of his family connection to Islam.

Thailand before the coup anyway was already taking some pretty clear steps to move at least slowly towards legalizing same sex relationships via a civil union structure.

Maybe after things settle down here in the next phase, the news from the U.S. may help accelerate that process that was already happening, or even more.

That's all I'm saying.

I know that people in the U.S. certainly noticed all the other nations progress on this issue and I think that was one factor in the rapid change in public opinion in a small number of years. Those other countries that the U.S. could relate to didn't explode by legalizing same sex marriage ... people came to realize the U.S. wouldn't either.

But the U.S. is a really big fish and now they did it.

I think in non-marriage equality countries with a really close affinity to the U.S. (there aren't many) that this impact would be stronger. Particularly Australia.

To add some examples, long ago Canada did this but it didn't impact much on the U.S. because frankly most Americans don't take Canada very seriously, even though a neighbor.

My theory goes if the USA had done this long ago before Canada, Canada would have done it faster than the U.S. did it.

The USA influence on Canada would have been stronger than the Canadian influence on the USA.

Just a theory and I'm sticking with it.

No insult to Canada intended ... just describing the situation as I see it.

Edited by Jingthing

Some giants to keep an eye on:

Brazil: already has it

Germany: not yet

India: ?

China: ?

Sometimes religion is a big factor.

Good example about Germany.

I don't think the German people are going to be happy trailing the USA on this progress.

India ... that's not happening anytime soon. Haven't they been dealing with criminalizing homosexuality again recently?

China ... the USA relationship is very complicated. I don't see them being influenced by the USA ruling.

Edited by Jingthing

Germany doesn't have gay marriage? I know a couple who were married in Germany some years ago. Maybe it's a state thing, like Australia.... which incidentally is not far off legalising gay marriage for the whole country.

Nein.

There is no legal gay marriage in Germany.

There is registered partnership similar to marriage rights.

Adoption by gays possible by not jointly by the legally partnered couple.

The majority of Germans support full marriage equality.

What are they waiting for?

It is certainly good to see the U.S. lead (somewhat) in a positive direction without military action. Just as people not associated with Irealand were so excited to see equal marriage there - I see many posts on my FB Asian friends celebrating the Supreme Court decision - even though they aren't U.S. citizens nor dating U.S. citizens. I hope the momentum continues and reaches Asia (Taiwan? Vietnam? Thailand?).

Time to celebrate.

Germany doesn't have gay marriage? I know a couple who were married in Germany some years ago. Maybe it's a state thing, like Australia.... which incidentally is not far off legalising gay marriage for the whole country.

Nein.

There is no legal gay marriage in Germany.

There is registered partnership similar to marriage rights.

Adoption by gays possible by not jointly by the legally partnered couple.

The majority of Germans support full marriage equality.

What are they waiting for?

Angela Merkel is the roadblock.. she's against it.

Time to add Israel to the list of nations that might be influenced by the U.S. marriage ruling.

I had thought of Israel but that have a special problem with some theocratic aspects to their marriage laws.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/Yaalon-I-hope-Israel-follows-US-lead-and-permits-gay-marriage-407263

The United States Supreme Court’s ruling on Friday banning states from refusing to recognize same-sex marriages is making waves worldwide, and Israel is no exception.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon took to Twitter and hailed the decision.
“The Supreme Court of the United States made an important, just and historic decision today,” Ya’alon tweeted on Friday. “Every person has the right to marry and have children, regardless of their sexual orientation. I hope additional countries, including Israel, will follow in the footsteps of the United States and grant this basic right to all.”

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Gay-leader-optimistic-about-marriage-equality-in-Israel-407475

“We are very happy for our friends in the US,” Frid said. “I am optimistic about it happening in Israel, even though the situation here is different because we don’t have a constitution and we have a rabbinic court system. The ruling will echo throughout the world that there must be equality, that LGBTQ people are not different than heterosexuals and should not be treated differently than other people.”

Even though I was kind of expecting the recent U.S. supreme court ruling to go the way it did, it wasn't certain until it happened, and it didn't occur to me there might be a big INTERNATIONAL impact until after it happened.

I guess we'll see.