Tunisia weighs new security approach as tourists flee

Lite Beer

Tunisia weighs new security approach as tourists flee
BOUAZZA BEN BOUAZZA, Associated Press
PAUL SCHEMM, Associated Press

TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — Thousands of tourists fled from Tunisia on Saturday after the country's worst terrorist attack killed 38 people — including 15 Britons — as the government struggles to prevent future jihadi attacks against the all-important tourism sector.

New measures to increase the numbers of troops on the streets and crack down on organizations with radical links, however, won't bring the tourists back in the short-term, further threatening the fragile economy.

When a 24-year-old Master's student at Kairouan University strolled on to the Sousse beach and pulled out a Kalashnikov assault rifle and grenades hidden inside his beach umbrella, he was sounding the death knell for Tunisia's 2015 tourist season.

Tunisian authorities identified the attacker as Seifeddine Rezgui, saying he killed 38 people, 15 of them British, as well as German, Irish, Belgian and Portuguese victims, and sent thousands of tourists fleeing to airports. The wounded included 24 Britons, seven Tunisians, three Belgians, and a German, Russian and Ukrainian.

"It's the first time I've ever been on holiday and feared for my life," said British tourist Matthew Preece, adding it was his third time visiting Tunisia and likely his last. "So obviously you can't come back somewhere it's not safe."

Tourists and employees are returning home with tales of horror cowering in rooms or offices as the killer stalked through the hotel wearing shorts.

European countries and tour operators sent planes to evacuate their citizens. By midday Saturday, nine flights had whisked away 1,400 people, according to Mohammed Walid Ben Ghachem, manager of the Enfidha-Hammamet Airport near Sousse.

At the Imperial Marhaba Hotel itself, the guests had left, according to manager Mohammed Becheur.

"We may have zero clients today, but we will keep our staff," he said, lamenting the 75-percent occupancy rate the day before. "This summer will be hard, but we are very confident for the long term."

On the beach, there were still a few tourists from neighboring hotels. Some laid flowers at the site of the attack while police patrolling on horseback moved down the beach and security boats patrolled the waters.

Armed men on the beach may well become a more common sight in Tunisia, as Prime Minister Habib Essid announced a raft of new security measures that many have questioned why they weren't implemented after the last horrific attack against tourists in March at the National Bardo Museum that killed 22.

"It's clear that the government's security policy requires a massive revision, in the sense that most of the tourist sites weren't well-protected," Tunisian security analyst Alaya Allani said. "If the measures announced are well implemented, we could reduce but not eradicate terrorism."

Essid called up the army reserves and said there would now be armed men in the hotels and at tourists sites and he also promised to crack down on unregulated mosques that preached extremist ideas and close down organizations with shadowy funding and extremist links.

North Africa analyst Geoff Porter noted that in the short term, these measures will only drive the extremists underground and create a militarized feel to the country that might well discourage tourism.

"Tunisia's in a difficult position, you can harden a tourist site and make it more difficult to attack but the same measures would deter tourists," he said. "Tourists don't want to come and lie on a beach with guys with AK-47s."

And Tunisia needs these tourists, especially in the coastal resort areas like Sousse where it is the dominant industry. Tourist made up nearly 15 percent of gross domestic product in 2014 and it has been struggling to recover after the shocks of the Arab Spring revolution.

The attack was claimed by the radical Islamic State group, which thousands of Tunisians, disaffected with the lack of opportunity in the wake of the 2011 overthrow of secular President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, have joined.

The attack came the same day that a suicide bomber killed 27 people in a Shiite mosque in Kuwait and a man in France ran his truck into a warehouse and hung his employer's severed head on the gate.

The attack in Kuwait was also claimed by the Islamic State and on Saturday thousands of people took part in a mass funeral procession. Police said they are interrogating a number of suspects with possible links to the bombing, which was claimed by an affiliate of the Islamic State group.

Extremists have increasingly attacked soldiers and politicians in Tunisia over the past few years, but it was only with the March museum attack that it began targeting the tourism life blood of the country that will only deepen its economic crisis.

The presence of a few people still on the beaches a day after the attack does give some glimmers of hope, especially if world memory is short and people return attracted by the low prices and white sands of the beach.

"We want to see our holiday out," said Peter Phillips of Wales as he stood on the beach not far from where the attack happened.

It all may hinge, however, on whether the government can put an end to these attacks, which senior security official Rafik Chelli called an "isolated incident" that is difficult to guard against and could happen anywhere.

"If this attack doesn't do it, any subsequent attack will," Porter said. "It is hard to envision Tunisian tourism recovering from this attack and impossible to envision it recovering from a third one."

___

Paul Schemm reported from Rabat. Associated Press reporters Elaine Ganley and Benjamin Wiacek in Sousse, Tunisia, and Shawn Pogatchnik in Dublin contributed to this report.

___

This story has been corrected to show the surname of the British tourist is Preece, not Price. A previous version of this story was corrected to show that the gunman killed 38 people, not 39.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-28

The European martyrs tourists will be back to Tunisia. Same thing happened in Bali. Hundreds blown to pieces and then 6 months later the clubs were full again.

I have no idea how to rationalize their death wish behavior except to say people are stupid. Happy holidays!

Where can you travel nowadays...

Even Spain...

There is a high threat from terrorism. See [below]

There is a high threat from terrorism. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners. The Spanish authorities take measures to protect visitors, but you should be vigilant and follow the instructions of the local authorities.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

At least Thailand the risk from terrorism at present is assessed to be the South.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla on the Thai-Malaysia border. On 10 April 2014 the Australian authorities indicated that extremists might be planning to target westerners in the southern border provinces.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Though IMHO such an attack could just as easily happen Walking St Pattaya, Sio Cowboy or Nana Bangkok, Pattong Phuket, Green Mango or the Ark Samui, there has already been a car bombing on Samui only a few months ago...

British nationals make over 900,000 visits to Thailand every year. Most visits are trouble-free, but there have been attacks (sometimes violent), particularly on the islands of Samui archipelago. Two British nationals were killed on 15 September 2014 on the island of Koh Tao in the Gulf of Thailand. See Crime

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

Obviously the Samui archipelago the UK FO see this as crime related rather than terrorism.

Edited by Basil B

You couldn't pay me to visit there now.

They should just give up this season entirely and rebuild their security for the future.

Attacks in Tunisia, Kuwait and France so far. More no doubt planned for the month of Ramadan.

IS are taking their terror worldwide - but it is the same terror other similar organizations have spewed on Israel since its foundation. Now we learn what happens when a cancer cell is allowed to grow, and grow and grow.

First Israel, then the US, now Europe and the med coast.

Time we realized this is a war that is not going away - and defense is not the only or best tactic in a war.

This should provoke a severe crackdown. Begin with martial law. Make the promotion of radical jihad teachings, advocating violence, associating with radicals a crime etc. Root out the terrorists with a public campaign identifying them as subversives bent on destroying the stability, freedom and livelihoods of the people of Tunisia. Maybe even have a reward system for turning them in. Create a prison camp for jihadists, not jails or prisons where they can recruit. I think that Tunisia has only one shot at this now.....

Through their indiscriminate violence and treason, they have forfeited their rights as ordinary citizens....

Edited by arend

I am sure that 99% of Tunisians are wonderful people, and an attack like this loony with an AK

could happen anywhere, but the fact is this is the 3rd such attack in the past year in Tunisia.

That with the rise of ISIS spells doom for European vacation travel across North Africa.

From Morocco to Tunisia to Egypt, tourism will fall of the cliff. Not sure about Gulf States. coffee1.gif

"We may have zero clients today, but we will keep our staff," he said, lamenting the 75-percent occupancy rate the day before. "This summer will be hard, but we are very confident for the long term."

Did he learn from TAT and Ms. Minister Wristband Popcorn ... ?

This should provoke a severe crackdown. Begin with martial law. Make the promotion of radical jihad teachings, advocating violence, associating with radicals a crime etc. Root out the terrorists with a public campaign identifying them as subversives bent on destroying the stability, freedom and livelihoods of the people of Tunisia. Maybe even have a reward system for turning them in. Create a prison camp for jihadists, not jails or prisons where they can recruit. I think that Tunisia has only one shot at this now.....

Through their indiscriminate violence and treason, they have forfeited their rights as ordinary citizens....

I know this is harsh but a harsh response is needed. Terrorists have no respect for compassion or what they perceive as weakness. I know 'prison camp' evokes images of inhumane treatment which I do not advocate. A path to return to normal society and a long probationary period needs to be built in as well as basic humane treatment. The point is to isolate them from society and their nefarious activities....until they are prepared to re-enter and respect humanity....if possible...

Don't know if anyone remembers a gun attack on a tour bus in Luxor, Egypt many years ago.

I went there for a holiday a few weeks later and the place was like a ghost town.

It was great for visiting the monuments and tombs, no shoving and pushing as would be normal holiday crowds.

The hotel management said I could have any room as I was the only guest in the hotel and staff were falling over each other trying to be of service.

The saddest thing was the horse/carriage operators that normally take you for romantic trips round the sights would offer to take you for almost next to noting just to get some money feed their horses sad.png

I am sure that 99% of Tunisians are wonderful people, and an attack like this loony with an AK

could happen anywhere, but the fact is this is the 3rd such attack in the past year in Tunisia.

That with the rise of ISIS spells doom for European vacation travel across North Africa.

From Morocco to Tunisia to Egypt, tourism will fall of the cliff. Not sure about Gulf States. coffee1.gif

"I am sure that 99% of Tunisians are wonderful people"

Me too.

The problem is 1% of 10.000.000 people is 100.000, so probably/maybe more than 99% are good people.

On the other end one should not forget its Tunisia that provides the highest number of foreign fighter to ISIS, round 3.000.

During this Ramadan, many police officers were busy looking after Tunisians people eating in restaurants in daytime, its strictly forbidden and reserved for tourists.

After the fall of Ben Ali the country voted for the Muslim Brothers, so the problem will not be solved easily, because many/some Tunisians have a lot in common with the Salafis.

I did not say with terrorists, but where the terrorists come from?

"I am sure that 99% of Tunisians are wonderful people"

Me too.

The problem is 1% of 10.000.000 people is 100.000, so probably/maybe more than 99% are good people.

On the other end one should not forget its Tunisia that provides the highest number of foreign fighter to ISIS, round 3.000.

During this Ramadan, many police officers were busy looking after Tunisians people eating in restaurants in daytime, its strictly forbidden and reserved for tourists.

After the fall of Ben Ali the country voted for the Muslim Brothers, so the problem will not be solved easily, because many/some Tunisians have a lot in common with the Salafis.

I did not say with terrorists, but where the terrorists come from?

Here a link of a picture where the gun man is walking calmly on the beach with his weapon after the beginning of the killing, unbelievable.

He told some local Tunisians don't be afraid i did not come for you, by the way no one try to intervene for it last round 40 minutes, congratulation to the Tunisian security forces...A absolute shame.

http://news.sky.com/story/1509487/tunisia-exclusive-pictures-of-gunman-on-beach

Did he learn from TAT and Ms. Minister Wristband Popcorn ... ?