Peeling eggs

Anthony5

It's also important to buy eggs that have been kept refrigerated in the store, not left out on shelves at room temperature. At my supermarket only the CP eggs are refrigerated, so I buy those. These are notably fresher than the unrefrigerated ones in the same store.

Increased gas in an older egg is due to decomposition of the egg itself. The shell is impermeable.

Not so. Eggshells are definitely permeable to gases including Oxygen, CO2, and water vapor. If that weren't the case, where would the developing chick get its oxygen from? And where would the toxic carbon dioxide go?

While older eggs peel easier, fresher ones fry better in that they retain their shape. Older eggs are a bit runny and the fried egg will be a bit flat. I scramble or hard boil older eggs. I try not to use eggs for hard boiling until they are at least two weeks old so they will fall out of the shell. I fry, scramble and soft boil newer eggs.

Or, if I'm overrun with eggs as we used to be sometimes (chickens lay in cycles, not steadily) I do what my mother and the ranch help used to do. Make custard, an egg based casserole and eggnog.

Because chickens lay in cycles, I would expect some eggs to be older to even out supply. I don't know that though. Once again, they will last for 90 days in a refrigerator, losing only their firmness when cracked raw and fried.

If you've hard boiled some eggs and they are sticking hopelessly to the shell when peeling, you can put the egg on a cutting board and whack it in half with a knife. The knife can be dull like a butter knife. The knife can be run around the inside of each half and they will drop right out. Sometimes that's faster than peeling anyway. It's really fast.

• 1 month later...

This peeling method might help. I use it every time I make Taiwanese tea eggs. I crack the eggs all over when they're almost ready (required for Taiwan style) then I grab the top or bottom 45% and squeeze and pull like you're shelling a prawn tail. The half comes off everytimw.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been avoiding CP eggs for the last 6 months. Twice in a period of 2 weeks, I got what amounted to chicken "Balot"...half developed chicks long dead inside the egg. Now there is a truly revolting morning surprise. Both times the eggs were CP.

I actually took the trouble to inform the manager of the MaxValue where I had purchased them ("Did you keep your register tape?? Can not do anything without tape!")..Could not convince him I was just trying to inform him...not trying to extort money back....totally useless endeavor.

Kind of took me a while to even want to eat an egg after that.

Edited by dddave

I've been avoiding CP eggs for the last 6 months. Twice in a period of 2 weeks, I got what amounted to chicken "Balot"...half developed chicks long dead inside the egg. Now there is a truly revolting morning surprise. Both times the eggs were CP.

I actually took the trouble to inform the manager of the MaxValue where I had purchased them ("Did you keep your register tape?? Can not do anything without tape!")..Could not convince him I was just trying to inform him...not trying to extort money back....totally useless endeavor.

Kind of took me a while to even want to eat an egg after that.

Eggs is Eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Organic Eggs Are....Hormone Free. Pesticide Free. Antibiotics Free. Chemical & Synthetic Additive Free

Chemical free? Hardly: post-140919-14403500998689_thumb.jpg

And pesticide free? Who sprays pesticides on eggs?

Antibiotic free? At least in the USA, all eggs must be free of antibiotic residue before going to market. The term "antibiotic free" only means that a farmer chose not to use antibiotics on chickens that were in need of them. I guess that means they'd rather let the chickens stay sick or die.

Organic is a marketing gimmick in any country.

Edited by attrayant

• 5 weeks later...

I made a nice egg mayonnaise the other day using Best Foods mayo and French's spicy brown mustard...the eggs musta been fresh because they were hard to peel...if I woulda had my spectrometer handy I woulda checked for CO2/O2 composition to pursue further inquiry...

but I didn't have any pepper; while I was away the past 6 months the peppercorns in the grinder got all mouldy and the grinding mechanism rusted up...