Chumpuang

Ollie

This seems to be a bit of a black hole as far as farangs are concerned?

A forum regular has liaised with me in the past and has been very helpful about this area - and other things - and I guess he will read this? But I know he's not based there.

Are there any (many) farangs in the vicinity - Phimai or the like?

Not there yet, but thinking of doing something in the area - it interest me - just wondered if anyone else had already done so?

My wife comes from a village a few K's away and I've been there a few times - got the village wedding formalised in the local Amphur, so would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks

Ollie

Black hole or not - I'd really appreiate any answer!!!

Even if someone says, "sorry pal, know nothing about the area you are talking about!"

Its where my future could be! Any assistance/comment appreciated!

I haven't seen farangs in town although my wife says there are - thats certainly the case for phimai, excluding tourists.

Thanks.

Edited by Ollie

Black hole or not - I'd really appreiate any answer!!!

Even if someone says, "sorry pal, know nothing about the area you are talking about!"

Its where my future could be! Any assistance/comment appreciated!

I haven't seen farangs in town although my wife says there are - thats certainly the case for phimai, excluding tourists.

Thanks.

I understand your frustration Ollie, sometimes you post and you get zip in reply.

I haven't been to Chumpuang but I am building a house in Phimai and hope to settle there soon.

My wife tells me that there are many farangs in the Chumpuang area.

During my frequent trips to Phimai I have come across about 4 Farangs who stay in the area and who seem to be quite helpful and friendly.

If you decide to stay there I hope you grow to like the place and I'm sure you will find Farang company when you need it.

Cheers.

:o

Thanks Chechoie!

Yes, I like Phimai as well, stayed there for a few days when I first visited the area (Phimai hotel - nice bed bugs!) and found a couple of nice places to eat and get a beer. As you know the places aren't far apart. Theres a new development being planned in Chumpuang which is interesting me, but I've also thought about buying land and building.

I guess it was a bit of a hit and miss question and begged the question, "why am I asking?" There can't be too many TV users amongst those that are there, or else they're keeping quiet!

Appreciate your response.

Ollie.

I think you are not all that far from Korat City where there are plenty of Farang "hangouts". Just to mention a couple being "Pasinee Restaurant" and the newly re-opened "George and Dragon". I know of two Farang who have built houses in villages not all that far from Chumpuang. Yes there are more Farang in your area, but I personally know two. :o

I think you are not all that far from Korat City where there are plenty of Farang "hangouts". Just to mention a couple being "Pasinee Restaurant" and the newly re-opened "George and Dragon". I know of two Farang who have built houses in villages not all that far from Chumpuang. Yes there are more Farang in your area, but I personally know two. :D

Hi Ollie, well I am one of the people Ken is on about. Well I think so anyways !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a house about 15km from Phi Mai town, I also know of at least 4 more bods in and around the area. When I am about if we go to Phi Mai it's normally after 3pm to the market that lines the soi by the Bangkok Bank.

I see you stay at the Phi Mai hotel, if I were you I would swop to the Phi Mai INN just on the edge of town. Much better and has swimming pool were me and the family go sometimes just to swim. May I also recommend a resturant in Phi Mai town, it's a very very small place but it is were the "Local Farangs" go to eat in decent setting. If you go into town, opposite the car park for the Ruins there is a 7-11 walk down the alley way beside 7-11 and you will see a Thai house that offers food. Ita a great place and the owners are really friendly, and the food is GREAT.

I have yet to meet "chechoie" but we are on target to meet soon, I am also aware he will be very close to town. I also know a cow/beef farmer that lives in Chumpuang, but I think he is away until xmas due to work commitments elsewhere.

As Ken says, most of us when we get to town is the Passinee or the G&D both of these are great place to meet like minded bods for a :D:D or few. ( just joking, we are not that bad really :o )

Us of those that live out in the boondocks/banoork tend to be a socialble lot and the odd get together is not that uncommon, in fact the last meet we had in July was excellent thanks to our friend Dereklev here in Korat.

Ollie, let me know when u are about, if I am in TH we can arrange to meet, and if the timing is right maybe we can get the local "out of townys" out for a beer.

Cheers

CF

Hey Ken , r u back now ? if so see you by month end.

Well, thats all more encouraging - thanks for the responses. Think I know the place in Phimai mentioned but ate at a place on the corner just to the left if looking from the ruins?

Heard about the Phimai Inn after my stay! It looks good and has some good reports. Have a feeling next time I'm in the area I'll stay at the wifes family home? But if not thats another option. First, however, trying to get the wife and step-son to the UK until I can head in the other direction permanently - this evenings coup permitting!!!

Good to know that there are others around who might want to meet up from time to time.

Know Korat a little and liked it and its interesting thats where you tend to meet up. I didn't think there would be anywhere in Chumpuang, but thought Phinai would be an option? We stayed at the Sima Thani(?) in May and there was a bar right next door - well there was two - one also seemed to be a shop in a parade and on the corner near the main road there was a bar, went in there, there was quite a few off -duty US servicemen there. Didn't catch the name of it.

Thanks again for the replies.