Thai needs foreign police clearance in Paraguay

My thai and I are trying to get her a fiance visa to the US. She lives in TH and I reside in US. She had an apt. at US Embassy in Bangkok, and since she was a foreign exchange student for 10 mths in Paraguay, they want a foreign police clearance before they proceed any further. This makes us nervous because there is only 30 days left on the fiance petition.

The odd thing is she was there for only 10 months, as shown by the entry/exit passport stamps, and from what I read it should be 1 year before foreign police clearance is required. Anyways, trying to get this foreign police clearance, all she has is the host family she stayed with that can possibly get this document for her. This page states we can fax the request to a FRIEND in Paraguay. If so, what hassles will the friend have to go through? Does the friend have to go in person to Cuartel Central de Policia, Chile y El Paraguayo Independiente? Is there more than one in Paraguay, and do they have do go to this place in person?

What do we do if we dont get this document before the petition expires? Can I apply for an extension?

Thank you for any insight.

Good idea, a polite email to the Immigrant Visa Section at the Embassy.

And, yes, 12 months for a foreign (non-Thai) police clearance:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

An applicant must obtain a police certificate from the local police authority:
lived in a different country for more than 12 months
you were 16 years or older at that time
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Perhaps just ask for clarification on this point, stating that she was on a student exchange program for just 10 months, and the rules stay 12 months for a police certificate.
Mac