CM's best French restaurant

peter point

This is one for the gastronomes out there. I am seeking confident and informed feedback on authentic French restaurants in central CM. I believe that La Terrasse has relocated (where?). How does this restaurant compare with Chez Marco (which I don't know)? Are there any other candidates for the title of good, authentic French restaurants in CM? Merci mille fois.

Try DK David's Kitchen

I ate there a while back and the food was indeed good.

The location is not easy to get to if you don't have wheels. I found the ambiance a bit stiff however, not relaxed. Grounds are beautiful.

What I did NOT like (after they asked for my business card) was an email the very next morning asking me to post a favourable review on trip Advisor.

For me, that is a No-No.

I have not been back.

Any budget in mind? Of the ones I have tried I would suggest:

5 star: Le Crystal and Le Coq Dor. Excellent food with extensive wine listing.

4 star: DK. Excellent food without the frills.

3 star: Chez Marco. Excellent value at modest price.

There is a French restaurant at Dhara Dhevi hotel that is likely excellent but need that lottery ticket to hit before trying.

DK is moving September/October to a location opposite the British Consulate.

Any budget in mind? Of the ones I have tried I would suggest:

5 star: Le Crystal and Le Coq Dor. Excellent food with extensive wine listing.

4 star: DK. Excellent food without the frills.

3 star: Chez Marco. Excellent value at modest price.

There is a French restaurant at Dhara Dhevi hotel that is likely excellent but need that lottery ticket to hit before trying.

I don't think Marco considers his restaurant French. He described it to me as European or Mediterranean. Whatever he calls it I like it very much. Nice feel, good food.

La Terrasse is located between the B&b Sugar Bar and Restaurant and the 7-11 just to the south of it. Its up the alley that is on the side of B&B. This is on Kotchasarn Road just up from DK book store. These are the only photos I have, sorry. Looking down into the court yard, the restaurant is in the back. The owners has put some serious money into this and I wish him will.

post-157194-0-56662200-1435651222_thumb.

Edited by khwaibah

I've dined at Chez Daniel Le Normand (Mahidol Road x Chiangmailand Rd)

My French must be atrocious as I ordered chicken cordon bleu yet received a chicken schnitzel sausage, not what I had in mind for dinner out. Though, everyone else's dish came out wonderful.

Think I read somewhere that the restaurant is run by one of the Thai sons now.

"French" is flexible anyway. I think Chez Marco qualifies, and calling it French may imply some pretentiousness that doesn't suit the place.

Where is the British Consulate? Is that on Bamrungrat Road, near Sayuri?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Dunno if it still running, or its quality, Paris on that enclave meungmoon road soi 1 and 2, also same place further along CM gate direction same street french run place wee retired french woman, zero English. right benind some club and just around the corner from Yai's kitchen.

"French" is flexible anyway. I think Chez Marco qualifies, and calling it French may imply some pretentiousness that doesn't suit the place.

Where is the British Consulate? Is that on Bamrungrat Road, near Sayuri?

Yes on Bumrungrat about 100mts from the Kaeo Nawarat junction. DK is moving to what used to be Da Laa Ba which is 10mts closer to the junction on the opposite side of the road.

Dunno if it still running, or its quality, Paris on that enclave meungmoon road soi 1 and 2, also same place further along CM gate direction same street french run place wee retired french woman, zero English. right benind some club and just around the corner from Yai's kitchen.

Paris is in Soi 2 Moonmuang, nearly opposite Top North Guest house. While it is quite pleasant it hardly qualifies as haute cuisine.

The best French restaurant in CM is probably Farang Ses, at the Dhara Dhevi. I have eaten there a few times. Very good, but expensive. Others which I rate highly are Le Crystal, DK, l'Elephant and La Fourchette. La F is in the same price range as Chez Marco, but to my mind there is no comparison in terms of the quality of the food and the care taken in preparation---La F is much better. l'Elephant is new and currently closed for a holiday, but is an extraordinary addition to CM restaurants. More expensive than La F, but still good value and well worth trying.

Not very fresh update but ate "Chez Daniel" many years ago and would classify the place as authentic french food without pretentiousness and quite cheap. Making his own cheese and french "charcuteries" (saucisson and else). Never quite got the opportunity to return recently but I think about it each time I drive on Mahidol. Also tried l'Auberge in Palm Spring once (classy setup, good food, higher end prices), again many years ago so not sure if the place is still running.

Lately, La Terrasse was a sure bet, never been disappointed, classic menu, friendly owner. Have not been to the new location though.

Not very fresh update but ate "Chez Daniel" many years ago and would classify the place as authentic french food without pretentiousness and quite cheap. Making his own cheese and french "charcuteries" (saucisson and else). Never quite got the opportunity to return recently but I think about it each time I drive on Mahidol. Also tried l'Auberge in Palm Spring once (classy setup, good food, higher end prices), again many years ago so not sure if the place is still running.

Lately, La Terrasse was a sure bet, never been disappointed, classic menu, friendly owner. Have not been to the new location though.

Not very fresh indeed, if you went to Chez Daniel many years ago, since Daniel, the chef and patron, died two years ago. I think the restaurant is still running, but I have not been back since his death.