Renewal of 5 year Drivers Licence on 90 day visa

weka

I've got a 5 year Drivers license about to expire.

In the previous 5 years I've stopped working for Thai companies and have offshore employers. Hence no work permit.

I travel in and out of Thailand on an APEC Card (90days each time).I can get a residency cert I'm sure

Anyone had similar circumstances?

Can I get the 5 year renewal?

As I see it it all comes down to the 90 day visa vs longer "non immigrant" type ones

Perhaps they'll go back to giving me a 1 year licence (though I've already had that, of course)

Thanks for any info, I've searched for answers but haven't found any in the same circumstances

Edited by weka

Hi Weka

I am about to visit our home in Thailand for a few weeks and hope to renew my 5-year Thai licence during that time so I'll be interested in replies to your query. Work has taken me elsewhere for the last couple of years but also feel confident that I can provide the local address details as I did on the last 2 renewals.

It may be of interest to you that I was in Thailand on 'visa exempt' entries on these occasions with my work being quick flights away in KL and Singapore. That visa status was not queried for license purposes. Good luck.

Officially you can not get a 5 year license, only temporary (2 year).

How your local DLT will react ??

My last experience was 5 years ago but at that time I was able to have a 5-year license issued. The proviso was that I had to have previously had the initial 1-year.

Seems to me that the only question would be whether or not your local Immigration office would give you a Residency Certificate, and if they would not, what is to prevent you from getting one from your Embassy to submit to your local LTO

I don't remember the US Embassy asking to see my visa when they sold me one !

Officially you can not get a 5 year license, only temporary (2 year).

How your local DLT will react ??

My last experience was 5 years ago but at that time I was able to have a 5-year license issued. The proviso was that I had to have previously had the initial 1-year.

Seems to me that the only question would be whether or not your local Immigration office would give you a Residency Certificate, and if they would not, what is to prevent you from getting one from your Embassy to submit to your local LTO

Andrew55 you were fortunate. LM there is no issue to get a Res cert at Jomtien Immigration to apply for licences but Pattaya DLT still wanted a long term visa for a 5 year - I ended up having 3/4 one year licences because of it. The 2 year you get now would have saved me a couple of visits.

Edit - possibly it may be different if you already have a 5 year.....

Edited by topt

Sorry, not correct.

Officially DLT will only give 5 year license if on extension of stay or year visa.

This is from The Thai DLT website:

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER
RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [bY YOURSELF] FROM ONE-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. ORIGINAL ONE-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE

2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

3. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

This is from The Thai DLT website:

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER

RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [bY YOURSELF] FROM ONE-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. ORIGINAL ONE-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE

2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

3. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

OP already has a 5 year license. The requirements don't differ very much, only medical certificate is not required for renewal of 5 year license, it is required for 1 (2) to 5 year.

You need an "O" visa or extension of...............sad.png

Just renewed my 5 year and they had a good look at my PP.

Any non-immigrant year visa will do. So not only 'O', also 'O-A', 'B' or anything else that is one year non-immigrant.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Which form do I use to re-new my 5 year licences? The websites I have looked at are all in Thai and I forgot to ask my agent when taking out an extension of stay based on retirement. :-(

Jjust go to the DLT, the form was filled out for me.