Metered taxis

mike111

Hi,

Every taxi in pattaya/jomtien I've enquired with said they don't use a meter, although many had a "Taxi Meter" plastered on the doors.

Is this a scam or have I just been unlucky?

Anyone knows where I can find/book a metered taxi here?

Cheers

These "meter" taxis are a plague in Pattaya. They are all over the place double parking, camping out on sois.And I assume taking away baht bus business.

Most I see any where are empty.

Edited by morrobay

These "meter" taxis are a plague in Pattaya. They are all over the place double parking, camping out on sois.And I assume taking away baht bus business.

It is kind of curious. They are in competition with songthaews operating in taxi mode. Also, many motorcycle taxi stands will have an unmarked car or truck for hire if you need a seat inside.

Yes the taxi meters here are fake taxi meters.

The meters are for decoration.

Here is info about the grab taxi app:

http://grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/

Not the same value as a Bangkok taxi meter though.

Are they fake meters or just wont turn it on ?

I know getting taxi guys to turn on a meter is a bit hit and miss in Bangkok.

But an out an out fake meter is bang out of order ?

Have never used this so called service and never will in pattaya.

Just asking.

Yes the taxi meters here are fake taxi meters.

The meters are for decoration.

Here is info about the grab taxi app:

http://grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/

Not the same value as a Bangkok taxi meter though.

They have more use than just decoration. Perhaps members here are well aware that they don't use their meters, but they are used to fool tourists, and I'm sure it works very well.

They won't turn them on.

Don't even ask.

Sorry this is a shock to you.

That's really the way it is.

Your only options are to charter the fare by negotiation or use grabtaxi.

Man that's bad.

They are a plague around town now. Total con.

Amazing Thailand.

It is kind of curious. They are in competition with songthaews operating in taxi mode. Also, many motorcycle taxi stands will have an unmarked car or truck for hire if you need a seat inside.

Yes there are way too many local transportation services. Thats all Pattaya needs is more idle Thai males.

You walk a gauntlet of about 20 of these various transportation drivers on many sois.

By the way you can give the driver of an empty baht bus 100 baht and they will take you just about anywhere, Naklua - Pattaya - Jomtien

Edited by morrobay

Yes there are way too many local transportation services. Thats all Pattaya needs is more idle Thai males.

You walk a gauntlet of about 20 of these various transportation drivers on many sois.

By the way you can give the driver of an empty baht bus 100 baht and they will take you just about anywhere, Naklua - Pattaya - Jomtien

Ha Ha

Private hire a Baht Bus Naklua to Jomtien 100 baht

what a load of Bs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by onemorechang

I don't understand how all those taxi meter taxi drivers can make a living?

I see them parked typically 5-6 in a row, waiting for customers where many walk away when they hear the price.

Hope the army does a huge clamp down soon and demands meters to be used, but Pattaya, Phuket and other holiday resorts have long been ruled by taxi mafia on the taxi scene and will be very hard to change.

I have often wondered how they make a living.

You see them parked outside all the big shopping centres but rarely do you see any shoppers use them.

I think they do mainly longer jobs like airport and Bangkok etc

I just took a flight back from Japan and the plane was half empty. I have never seen this before at this time of year. The plane is always full. Signs of things to come.

Take a picture of the cab and number and send in a compaint.

I just took a flight back from Japan and the plane was half empty. I have never seen this before at this time of year. The plane is always full. Signs of things to come.

Take a picture of the whole fleet. No taxi in Pattaya will use the meter.

Won't change.

Not just Pattaya, got stung in Samui for 200b a 500m ride

Maybe on the good Generals Too Do list...

It is not just tourists who are being robbed, as there is no receipts or meters recording of the monies taken you can bet your bottom dollar they are fiddling their tax too...

Edited by Basil B

2 weeks ago.Jammed