SCB apologises for controversial ad

webfact

SCB apologises for controversial ad
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) executive Yon Phokhasap yesterday apologised for the controversial online advertisement, which allegedly suggested that only applicants from 14 listed universities would be considered, saying it had been pulled from all media channels.

The bank has also set up a committee to launch a disciplinary investigation and instruced all related personnel to be careful and avoid such mistakes from recurring, he said.

SCB confirmed that its 22,000 staff members were graduates from different universities nationwide and that its 4,348 recruits over last year until May this year were also alumni from various institutions. Hence, it said, this reflects the fact that the bank gives importance to and sees the value of graduates from all universities without discrimination.

Rajabhat Universities' rectors will be meeting today to discuss the option of cancelling financial transactions with SCB in response to its alleged selective recruitment policy.

The Surat Thani Rajabhat University's Student Council president Piyawat Aksornsom said yesterday that the council will issue a statement slamming SCB for its alleged selective recruitment policy and urge university personnel, students and their parents, as well as alumni to ban transactions with the bank.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/SCB-apologises-for-controversial-ad-30263663.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-03

This is going to hurt SCB. People take matters such as this very seriously. If someone feels they are being excluded or looked down on because their degree is not from the 'right' university, they will go elsewhere to be sure.

Unofficially, I understand there are other companies who have similar policies. I know of 2 off the top of my head.

This is going to hurt SCB. People take matters such as this very seriously. If someone feels they are being excluded or looked down on because their degree is not from the 'right' university, they will go elsewhere to be sure.

Unofficially, I understand there are other companies who have similar policies. I know of 2 off the top of my head.

Unofficially polices such as this are common in many companies worldwide, the only mistake SCB has made was to "advertise" the fact

I think that's exactly what SCB intended......this is normal in Thailand, with something 200 universities....there are never going to be enough quality academic staff to go around.

And of course, there's the system whereby proxy students complete the courses for a fee.........

Edited by ChrisY1

I heard that Rajaphat Songklah has lost it's university accreditation and is now just a college...but don't quote me.

I think SCB was right to advertise that they want only the best from the best. The more big companies do this, the more serious the lower echelon universities will be in trying to offer proper education. The damage is now done and next semester's enrollment for Rajaphat will be down...that's the way the market works and that's the way it should be.

Apart from any other considerations, the applicant's ability to communicate in basic English would be an asset when dealing with expats and tourists alike. Many Thai grads can speak Chinese and Japanese.

Being cute is also an asset.

Apart from any other considerations, the applicant's ability to communicate in basic English would be an asset when dealing with expats and tourists alike. Many Thai grads can speak Chinese and Japanese.

Being cute is also an asset.

Agreed and some have very cute ass.... ets indeed thumbsup.gif

1. SCB says it will investigate and tell staff to be more careful about what they say.

2. "SCB confirmed that its 22,000 staff members were graduates from different universities nationwide and that its 4,348 recruits over last year until May this year were also alumni from various institutions. Hence, it said, this reflects the fact that the bank gives importance to and sees the value of graduates from all universities without discrimination."

Analysis:

- "SCB confirms that it's 22,000 staff were graduates from different universities" ......

Then the statement goes on to say ... "Hence this means the bank sees value of graduates from all universities without discrimination."

One would assume this comes from a senior executive of the bank who has been tasked with trying to reduce the heat this has caused. But in reality makes it all worse.

Edited by scorecard

An ex-gf of mine had a BBA from a rural uni and was very mater of fact about what it meant saying if she was in competition with applicants from a ' named ' uni she would stand no chance even if her grades were better since her uni didn't have a name and was automatically held to be inferior.

She wasn't angry or bitter just, in Thai fashion, accepted that's the way it is.

SCB obviously feels the standard of education across Thai colleges and institutions is not even (they are correct) and they want only the best educated graduates. It's called an active recruitment policy.