Chinese tourists boost Thai economy but stir outrage

Lite Beer

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that the Thai government or the Thai people would want to go too far berating

the Chinese people and risking irritating the big Chinese bear, surly the politburo will not

see too kindly to people or nation rubbishing it's people, and if there is one thing Thailand

don't want to do it to rub China the wrong way....

<deleted> B.S. So, in other words, let them do as they please and we won't say anything because we're too scared to do so. You would make a nice N.W.O citizen. Chinese bear? Beyond anything to say any further.

Do as they please? They have been allowing 10s of millions of sexpatriates into the country to have their way with their young women for decades. I am sure Thailand can survive a little kid taking a pee in a temple.....

One last try. Hmm yes, it is not reciprocal I gather? I guess they're all being raped. In addition, it must be going on in public view, in the streets or park benches? If the chinese are involved they probably would anyway. Going-off topic is not a sound defense. We are talking about public offense here, Thai/expat businesses and respect for the culture and icons that are in public view. Since the bureaucrats and others like yourself will not lift a finger to putting an end to this..these chinese better not carry on with their behavior in front or near me at the very least. In addition, if I see them causing issues with Thais, they will wish they'd never of left the polluted-over populated-disease-ridden country called china.

Edited by freedom4life

"In March a Thai models video of tourists from China jumping the queue at an airport was viewed more than two million times and saw a similarly angry rant against Thailands largest group of foreign holidaymakers"

I don't know why Thai's would be complaining about queue jumping as I have had many Thai's try to push in front of me on the roads in Tescos and many other places some were successful most were not.

While I do agree that it seems the Chinese can be impolite it is there way of doing things and perhaps Thai's should learn to accept other countries culture as everyone is expected to respect theirs.

Well, I would respectfully disagree, as a frequent traveller and worker in China, I have to frequently bite my tongue as it is their country. On the other hand when they come to OZ and they push and shove and queue jump, I put them in their place as I tell them, " you are not at home now and we do not do that here so get to the back of the queue".

Yes, I have noticed some Thai who will push and queue jump but very few.

The rules are "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and I believe it should be pointed out to them that their behaviour is offensive when it is.

On the other hand, may I say that most young Chinese are a little more tuned in and polite.

The loud voices ?? Cannot be helped, it is their culture, annoying and all as it is.

I have many very very nice polite Chinese friends.

Well they certainly test the patience of Chiang Mai motorists when they nonchalantly walk out into the oncoming traffic and then STAY THERE !! gigglem.gif It's absolutely incredible to watch.

Last night in the complete darkness about six of them decided to cross the road which they did very unhurriedly forcing three lanes of cars to slow down!

And a few days ago I was coming out of Chiang Mai University gates and a group of them decided simultaneously to stand right in the middle of the exit blocking the entire exit blink.png

As I approached I thought surely they will start to move aside but NO. I was right in front of them when they slowly decided they should move to one side.

Exactly the same phenomenon on Pattaya Beach walkway when they all stand in groups taking up 100% of the walkway and you have to do literally tap on people's shoulders to move aside.

Well they certainly test the patience of Chiang Mai motorists when they nonchalantly walk out into the oncoming traffic and then STAY THERE !! gigglem.gif It's absolutely incredible to watch.

Last night in the complete darkness about six of them decided to cross the road which they did very unhurriedly forcing three lanes of cars to slow down!

And a few days ago I was coming out of Chiang Mai University gates and a group of them decided simultaneously to stand right in the middle of the exit blocking the entire exit blink.png

As I approached I thought surely they will start to move aside but NO. I was right in front of them when they slowly decided they should move to one side.

Exactly the same phenomenon on Pattaya Beach walkway when they all stand in groups taking up 100% of the walkway and you have to do literally tap on people's shoulders to move aside.

Some may say that is a lack of awareness - I think it is just plain pig ignorance, bad manners and downright "who cares" attitudes coffee1.gif Just saying these things nicely.

When in the Airport, at BKK I mimmick the sound of Airline Trams, driving people to Gates, I do it on people movers at airport, and they step aside promptly, I always say Thank You, no understand English, it works Great, Try It, it works Internationally, not just airports, if u think Rude, Fire with Fire.

The only good part about the Chinese coming is that the Thais might start looking at Farang in a better light.... Maybe !!!

I think it is great for farang. The Thais will quickly learn that the Chinese are nowhere near as naive or gullible as the farang, ergo are not as easily conned or stolen from.

"In March a Thai models video of tourists from China jumping the queue at an airport was viewed more than two million times and saw a similarly angry rant against Thailands largest group of foreign holidaymakers"

I don't know why Thai's would be complaining about queue jumping as I have had many Thai's try to push in front of me on the roads in Tescos and many other places some were successful most were not.

While I do agree that it seems the Chinese can be impolite it is there way of doing things and perhaps Thai's should learn to accept other countries culture as everyone is expected to respect theirs.

Well, I would respectfully disagree, as a frequent traveller and worker in China, I have to frequently bite my tongue as it is their country. On the other hand when they come to OZ and they push and shove and queue jump, I put them in their place as I tell them, " you are not at home now and we do not do that here so get to the back of the queue".

Yes, I have noticed some Thai who will push and queue jump but very few.

The rules are "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and I believe it should be pointed out to them that their behaviour is offensive when it is.

On the other hand, may I say that most young Chinese are a little more tuned in and polite.

The loud voices ?? Cannot be helped, it is their culture, annoying and all as it is.

I have many very very nice polite Chinese friends.

Me too. The only one of my wives that was ever any good is Chinese.

In China no one dares to speak out about anti-social behaviour.

In a country where men carry their girl friends handbag -
they are only taught that they are all sons and daughters of Emperors...

that makes a lot of Bastards

They have no modern culture - Its up to the rest of the world to put them in their place

NO better than anyone else.

It's NOTHING to do with "New money" - just civilisation and natural courtesy...

(From all corners of the world)

5,000 baht a day, Secret Shoppers, I've never seen a shopping bag.

Have a look in the planes going back, everybody heavily loaded with shoppings.

They definitely spend much more then many farang

Edited by georgy

Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day -- more than the average European visitor.

That would also mean 12,602 people per day which means 34 boeing 777's arrived at Swampy everyday from mainland China. Crazy stuff..

You're forgetting about Don Mueang. If you have been there for an early morning flight recently you will have seen the majority of departing passengers are Chinese.

The Chinese are like everyone has described here. A firend of mine worked in China and he sid they are the same there. Also it has been said that they dont spend anything and that is true. They spend in Chinese shops if they go to any but wont otherwise. Most of the Chiese that come to Thailand are on package tours, just like the Kazakhs are.

If you take the low end of the tourist market, yes you will get a lot of numbers if that is what you want but spending and respecting other peoples culture? Not a chance.

THey probably are not the best passengers on the flights over either

Edited by gandalf12

Probably nothing wrong with Chinese people !! But.....last year my family Went to Koh Nangyuan just off Koh Tao. We were gonna have a nice day snorkelig and relaxing. When we arrived there we noticed hords of Chinese Tours coming in ...and my god ! The Chinese took over the restaurants, toilets and all other facilitiies in no time !! The walked in packs with big stickers on their shirts...so they wouldnt get lost....because they looked very ...very lost !! They cleaned out every dish on the buffet served so we farangs had to fight for a chicken leg....and the state of the restaurant after lunch looked like a war-zone !! We left in a hurry back to Koh Samui.....an experience We will never forget !!!

SO, a solution?

No great secret that the biz is all tied up with inbound tourism companies focused on achieving the greatest retention of funds in the PRC.

They have the Thai tour operators both large and small by the short and curleys

Other than the Thai's "guiding" the shopping and cultural experience to places where there is connections and commissions, very little money is made in Thailand for the Thai's due to the slim profit margins.

It's all based on the volume BUT once the volume decreases the whole deal turns very sour, very quick.

TAT needs to step in and make it abundantly clear to the tour companies (via their tour guide accompanying each group) that they will be held accountable for all unreasonable collateral and cultural damage caused by their lack of guidance, leadership and supervision of the group (be it Chinese or Chumps).

Perhaps, if such an accreditation was in place, they might have a Tour Licences that could be revoked if they do not perform??

After all, if we all rocked up to Tienanmen Square and spat or spoke loudly in Mao's mausoleum we'd probably get considerably more attention than damnation over social media

I recent spent time in Seim Reap and watched with interest the hoards of Chinese tour groups visiting the Wats.

While a few hours (on what might have been a a good day) is not really a fair judgement on the overall, it was quite noticeable that the Cambodian Tour guides had the Chinese in check.

Perhaps because the tour guides were better trained and connected to the "product" they were representing?????

I heard that the Chinese have lost their way a long time ago. The communists had destroyed any sort of religious or cultural future for them. The one child policy bred a whole system of spoiled brats. These kids have all grown up now, they are rude, arrogant, quick to insult and they travel in huge groups. Seeing a bunch of Chinese tourists hawk and spit on the floor of Asia Hotel lobby in bkk has made me a little more discerning when choosing a hotel.

Another Thais looking down their nose at their neighbours non-story.

You are a complete fool and there is a non-story between your ears.

China didn't issue etiquette books just because of some problems in Thailand, but because of the same story everywhere, including when tourists in their own country.

But don't let that get in the way of a racist all too common TV Thai basher

Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day -- more than the average European visitor.

If you keep repeating the same dross over and over, maybe you will believe it, but you are fooling nobody.

Without exception, every Thai business I have spoken with, tells the same story.... The chinese are everywhere, but they don't spend any money.

According to the above figure, a family of three would be spending USD $480 a day. Complete fiction.

Your correct but also wrong. The Chinese are big spenders but they don't spend on the same things the European or UK tourists spend on. For example they like to book tour packages so they pay for 4 or 5 star hotels, go around in tour busses, have tour guides and have inclusive meals at their hotels. So the only thing they spend on will be presents for the people back home. Compare this with a European that fly in stay in a 3 star hotel or guesthouse, buy street food, use tuk tuks, hang around at bars and take memories back home.

5,000 baht a day, Secret Shoppers, I've never seen a shopping bag.

Humans see what they want to see.”Rick Riordan

Wow so I guess Thai Visa is also in on the plot to make us think that Chinese spend more then any other tourists---but we know they don't----because ----we know they don't--because----we know they don't......So Just don't try to fool us with facts,

Gosh it looks like America is also in on the plot.............

Obama Opens Floodgates To Chinese Tourists

More Chinese tourists will be heading to California beaches and New York retailers this year than ever before, as Obama plans to open the flood gates to let in more big spenders from across the Pacific.

On Thursday, the President signed a memorandum giving secretaries at the Homeland Security and Commerce departments four months to come up with a plan to streamline the entry process for foreign visitors to reduce wait times.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2014/05/23/obama-opens-floodgates-to-chinese-tourists/

When all else fails-----just stand firm and deny the facts

It's not only farang business owners complaining, mostly it's the Thai shop owners/staff complaining, and Thai/farang restaurant owners/staff, and Thai/farang bar owners/staff, and supermall shop owners/staff, and car rental owners/staff, and motorbike rental owners/staff, and ..... +++ ++++++ ++++ and they all complain the Chinese don't spend much. Don't confuse yourself with mixing Koreans with Chinese, because the Koreans actually spend some money in Thailand, but not much in bars or with ladies of the night though.

About the US, they get the high end Chinese tourist, not the average tourist, but they are huge in numbers but won't find their way to Phuket, Pattaya, Hua hin or other tourists resorts. If coming here, they more likely to buy the tourist industry right from under Thais nose.

Edited by KamalaRider