Chinese tourists boost Thai economy but stir outrage

Lite Beer

Chinese tourists boost Thai economy but stir outrage

CHIANG RAI:-- Accused of urinating in public, spitting on the street, or kicking a sacred temple bell -- free-spending Chinese tourists are receiving a mixed welcome as their soaring numbers help the kingdom's creaking economy.

Growing outrage over the perceived disrespect of visitors from the Asian giant saw authorities print thousands of Chinese-language etiquette manuals earlier this year in a bid to keep their tourists in check.

Last month it was a photo of a young girl peeing in the grounds of Bangkok’s Grand Palace that triggered the latest round of enraged, and sometimes racist, comments as Thai social media users claimed she was Chinese.

In March a Thai model’s video of tourists from China jumping the queue at an airport was viewed more than two million times and saw a similarly angry rant against Thailand’s largest group of foreign holidaymakers.

At the gleaming Wat Rong Khun, also known as the White Temple, in northern Chiang Rai province, owner Chalermchai Kositpipat complained about the state of the toilets after a recent visit by a Chinese group.

"We had problems with some Chinese who defecated anywhere, so I asked the guides to explain to them that rules must be respected in Thailand," Chalermchai told AFP, having earlier threatened to refuse the nationals entry.

But he stopped short of issuing a ban, and like Thai authorities is loath to cut out the Chinese at a time when they are bucking the trend of dipping visitor figures in the kingdom, where tourism accounts for 8.5 per cent of gross domestic product.

Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day -- more than the average European visitor.

Their collective contribution, expected to reach $5.6 billion this year, is not one the ruling junta can afford to lose as it struggles to revive a sclerotic economy -- one of its key promises after seizing power from an elected government in May 2014 that was paralysed by months of protests in Bangkok.

- ’Cultural misunderstandings’ -

================================

At the White Temple, Thai tour guide Pin Su says her job has become an art in diplomacy due to the growing number of Chinese visitors.

"They do not always pay attention, they spit, talk loudly, sometimes they leave the toilet in a catastrophic state," she said in between ferrying tourists around the building.

"But I cannot remind them every day that we must be careful to be clean. I do not want to offend them. And all these tourists, it is for Thailand!"

Bangkok’s ruling generals have been busy courting Beijing as they build new diplomatic allies after last year’s coup was widely condemned by Western nations, including longtime friend the United States.

Late last year the two Asian nations forged new agricultural ties, and Beijing was also granted a major railway contract to construct two new lines criss-crossing Thailand.

With the recent easing of visa rules between the kingdom and China, where the growing ranks of the middle-classes are increasingly holidaying abroad, even more Chinese tourists are expected to arrive in Thailand this year.

Unsurprisingly, Thai authorities appear keen to downplay any incidents of strife.

"Chinese tourists do not create problems for us. They are nice tourists," said Srisuda Wanapinyosak, an executive director at the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

"But sometimes there might be cultural misunderstandings as we have different cultures," she admitted before running through the tips laid out for the Chinese in the new manuals.

Back at the White Temple, Cai Zheng Hua and his wife from Fujian, a province in southeast China, are enjoying their long-awaited honeymoon.

He says that while some of his compatriots may "not have enough education to know how to behave", they are very much in a "small minority".

For most visitors Thailand is a "dream" and "very fashionable", said the holidaymaker, raving about the architecture at the site.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Chinese-tourists-boost-Thai-economy-but-stir-outra-30263782.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-05

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure TAT will happily turn a Nelsonian blind eye to the complaints as long as the Chinese keep arriving and they can quote all those lovely arrival stats to prove tourists are indeed flocking here.

"In March a Thai models video of tourists from China jumping the queue at an airport was viewed more than two million times and saw a similarly angry rant against Thailands largest group of foreign holidaymakers"

I don't know why Thai's would be complaining about queue jumping as I have had many Thai's try to push in front of me on the roads in Tescos and many other places some were successful most were not.

While I do agree that it seems the Chinese can be impolite it is there way of doing things and perhaps Thai's should learn to accept other countries culture as everyone is expected to respect theirs.

Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day -- more than the average European visitor.

If you keep repeating the same dross over and over, maybe you will believe it, but you are fooling nobody.

Without exception, every Thai business I have spoken with, tells the same story.... The chinese are everywhere, but they don't spend any money.

According to the above figure, a family of three would be spending USD $480 a day. Complete fiction.

Was waiting at the airport link loading area at airport the other day for a ride to the city. There were perhaps 50 or more people waiting, mostly Thai and farang. It was very quiet and people were speaking in a soft tone. In comes 4 Chinese and all 4 were trying to see who could speak over who... Sad part is they got directly behind me in line. Soon as the doors opened and the other people got off the Chinese wanted to jump line and head in the car only to be stopped by security. Got inside car and sure enough everyone quiet except the 4 Chinese. They just don't have a clue and even getting dirty looks from everyone they just continue as if everything is normal. I welcome the Russians back :(

"Last year around 4.6 million Chinese nationals visited Thailand, with the average tourist spending 5,500 baht ($160) per day -- more than the average European visitor."

I would like to see this figure broken down. I think this is mostly the cost of the tour package plus the obligatory bussed shopping trip to King Power. I suspect that very little of this spending finds it way to the small shops etc. Again, I do not believe the figures. How long does an average group stay? They seem to be in such a chattering pushy rush all the time I can only conclude that its a 2-3 day packed itinerary.

- ’Cultural misunderstandings’ ???

A university professor from Beijing claimed during the climax of the SARS epidemic, "Chinese have a 3000 year old culture of spitting!"

So, who has a problem to understand the other ones "culture"?

""They do not always pay attention, they spit, talk loudly, sometimes they leave the toilet in a catastrophic state," she said in between ferrying tourists around the building."

"With the recent easing of visa rules between the kingdom and China, where the growing ranks of the middle-classes are increasingly holidaying abroad, even more Chinese tourists are expected to arrive in Thailand this year."

Must be some bad reporting here as these are surely the quality tourist that TAT are after.

If you keep repeating the same dross over and over, maybe you will believe it, but you are fooling nobody.

Without exception, every Thai business I have spoken with, tells the same story.... The chinese are everywhere, but they don't spend any money.

According to the above figure, a family of three would be spending USD $480 a day. Complete fiction.

Chinese are renown for preferring to spend their money with Chinese businesses. They also include most of their trips/excursions in the package deal they pay for in China; which is predominantly with Chinese companies based in Thailand.

The idea and belief that the Chinese tourists are going to bring prosperity and be a major boost to the Thai economy is a fallacy. Many of the Chinese visitors to Thailand are of little wealth holidaying on budgets and as described in the OP, bringing with them a whole new set of problems. The wealthy Chinese go more upmarket, holidaying in Europe, the UK, America and other more prominent south East Asian countries including Singapore.

For example in Chiang Mai the powers that be have deliberately failed to put resources into the western tourist industry, including placing restrictions on most of it`s adult entertainments venues and western style night-life, but instead are concentrating efforts into what is believed to be the more affluent Chinese tourist markets, that I am sure over the next few years will prove to be a great error in judgement or in other words, they are backing the wrong horse.

The Chinese were supposed to replace the declining farang tourist numbers. They were the Answer. Unfortunately the government(S) policy of using tourists as a convenient scapegoat, to distract, to look down on, because, horror, they disrespected Thailand has carried over to the Chinese.

I don't think it was supposed to work this way. biggrin.png ooops

Who on earth came up with this!! OK go and visit the floating market in Pattaya. Go and park at the rear where all the coaches are. The Chinese come out in the coach loads, swathes of them and you will see that not one of them has a plastic bag with something purchased inside. None of them eat the food on sale. They spend NOTHING in there. For the tour company, the hotel and the airport tax yes. The small Thai businesses catering for the tourists are at breaking point. European visitors spend good money on the street, in the markets and enjoy souvenirs.

Well all i can say is one day you will see thousands of Chinese tourist walking around empty markets and shops complaining the place has nothing to offer.

I see the "wannabee-cool-Thais" spitting, as I see Thais "queue-jumping", as I see Thais "urinating" in certain roads, so why the big fuss about Chinese visitors doing same same ??

It's the "pot calling the kettle black". Usual hypocritical stuff here.

Only difference is the Chinese spend much money here, unlike these locals. So maybe the authorities should turn the usual "blind-eye".

I don't think that the Thai government or the Thai people would want to go too far berating

the Chinese people and risking irritating the big Chinese bear, surly the politburo will not

see too kindly to people or nation rubbishing it's people, and if there is one thing Thailand

don't want to do it to rub China the wrong way....

It was a TATT, Tourist Authority of Thailand Typo. The actual figure is ฿5.5/day.