UK visit query

Firstly I am married to a Thai woman ( for 3 years but been together 10 ) and live with her at our home. She has a tabien ban and I have a yellow one for the same address. I currently stay here on a multiple entry Non O based on marriage and do 90 day visa runs. ( not having 450,000 baht in a Thai bank although have that amount in the UK.)

I was planning to return to the UK for a month to visit my mother this coming September and to clear out my belongings as she is moving home.

Now my Thai wife wants to tag along . She came to England with me before for a months holiday about 6 years ago....no problems , got visa on first asking.

However, it seems that things have tightened up a bit since then so wanted to check a few things before applying.

1) Firstly , we plan to travel in September but by that time her passport will only have 4 months validity remaining. Is this enough or should we play safe and get her a new one.

2) I am currently using the last 3 months of my non immigrant visa ( actually expired but was valid when entered ). Should I renew this visa first before applying for wifes visa to the UK since it seems I will need to in order to prove we will return to Thailand and continue living here.

3) I do not work in Thailand and do not have an official income , living on my savings. Will this be a problem when applying for her visa

I have scanned all the forums here and believe I know the answers but sometimes there is contradictory information and I just wanted to clarify as many things as possible before making out application.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1) Her passport needs to be valid for the duration of the visit.

2) You don't need to renew your visa to prove anything. Your letter and evidence of life in Thailand does that already. You can explain your visa situation in the letter if you want to.

3) No problem, as long as you can demonstrate that you have the money (statements, etc.)

1) Her passport needs to be valid for the duration of the visit.

2) You don't need to renew your visa to prove anything. Your letter and evidence of life in Thailand does that already. You can explain your visa situation in the letter if you want to.

3) No problem, as long as you can demonstrate that you have the money (statements, etc.)

Thanks for the quick reply. Pretty much what I thought but some people say 6 months validity is needed even to leave Thailand which sounded wrong to me.

I would certainly renew the passport before. You are going to have to do it when you get back so better before in my opinion. As stated not working doesn't matter as long as you can prove that you have the money to fund the trip. i actually think renewing the visa might be a good idea as it just adds to the evidence supporting a return to Thailand but as said above should not be essential.

I would renew the passport now, it's quick and not expensive here in Thailand, it would save any problems with airline check in staff.

However, there's no requirement to have six months remaining to leave Thailand and the UKVI could well still issue a six month visa, and your wife could still enter the UK on that passport, though she would have to leave the UK before it expired, but may well need to demonstrate her intention to do so to the UK Border Force Officer at the UK Border. She could use the unexpired portion of any visa for any future travel in her new passport.

You don't need to renew your visa early, my partner successfully applied for a longer term UK Visa a couple of months before my extension expired, but you would need to satisfy, as did I, that it's your intention to do so. Evidence of the marital home here could well satisfy the ECO of the relationship and thus a reason to return.

You will need to satisfy the ECO that the trip is genuine and affordable.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the useful answers. Pretty well confirm my own thoughts but nice to have second opinions . Will get the new passport to be on the safe side and renew my visa before leaving. Two less things to worry about despite the obvious inconvenience. Still , better now than later.

Once again....thanks all.