4 dead, 30 injured in tram accident at Khon Kaen zoo

Lite Beer

4 dead, 30 injured in tram accident at Khon Kaen zoo

Bangkok- A two-car tram overturned in Thailand's Khon Kaen Zoo killing four tourists on board and injuring more than 30, local media reported Sunday.

Failed brakes are said to be cause of the accident, according to director Tawin Ratanawongsawat of Khon Kaen Zoo, which is 500 kilometres north-east of Bangkok.

The zoo could not immediately confirm the number of casualties.

The injured were transferred to several nearby hospitals.

Due to the zoo’s hilly terrain and large area of about 3,000 acres, visitors usually take the tram or rent a private golf cart to travel around.

The zoo houses many exotic animals such as white lions and white tigers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/4-dead-30-injured-in-tram-accident-at-Thai-zoo-30263798.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-05

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The injured were transferred to several nearby hospitals.

Yep it's truly scary that such things can happen. Let's hope that the injured ones will have a fully and speedy recovery.

And let's hope that the others live in peace now. Can't even imagine how their relatives and friends must feel now.

It's not the death. that scares me. It's the not seeing them anymore, that hurts most...blink.png .

Failed brakes are said to be cause of the accident,

Nothing to do with excessive speed then?

They really can't take responsibility for anything, can they.

coffee1.gif

Disgusting cultural trait.

Not when it's easier to place the blame on an inanimate object, such as breaks.

coffee1.gif

Brakes can indeed fail. Not just in this country. Tires blow and many other technical problems are causing accidents worldwide.

It seems that the driver had some issues with the brakes and crashed into another tram.I don't think that such an accident is wanted.

He stated among the tram’s motorists lost control because of an issue with the vehicle’s brakes and crashed in to the tram in-front, leading to both to overturn.

Source:

http://archynews.com/zoo-tram-accident-in-northeastern-thailand-kills-4-people/

"Failed brakes are said to be cause of the accident. The zoo could not immediately confirm the number of casualties."

Amazing they have worked out what caused the accident before they have even counted the number of causilties.

"Failed brakes are said to be cause of the accident. The zoo could not immediately confirm the number of casualties."

Amazing they have worked out what caused the accident before they have even counted the number of causilties.

A simple point, lost on many.

coffee1.gif

5 dead apparently

Ive seen that "Brakes Failed" nonsense on many an accident report

The Brakes wont work and stop you in time is you are travelling faster that you should be. I hate the carnage these people cause through sheer ignorance and 3rd world mentality

coffee1.gif

Brakes can indeed fail. Not just in this country. Tires blow and many other technical problems are causing accidents worldwide.

It seems that the driver had some issues with the brakes and crashed into another tram.I don't think that such an accident is wanted.

He stated among the trams motorists lost control because of an issue with the vehicles brakes and crashed in to the tram in-front, leading to both to overturn.

Source:

Brake failure on modern large vehicles is very rare. The two main reasons for brake failure are exsecive use of the brakes instead of engaging a lower gear which is driver error or lack of maintenance.

A failure of the components of the braking system is not the likely cause.

5 dead apparently

The Brakes wont work and stop you in time is you are travelling faster that you should be. I hate the carnage these people cause through sheer ignorance and 3rd world mentality

Coming to a Minivan or school-van within the next day or two.

Yeah, it's the brakes.

coffee1.gif

5 dead apparently

Coming to a Minivan or school-van within the next day or two.

Yeah, it's the brakes.

coffee1.gif

My kids get the school bus to their school in ayutthaya , dual carriage way with about 20 U turn "Lanes" on the trip. Of all the crap on the roads the U turns frighten the life out of me the most

coffee1.gif

He stated among the trams motorists lost control because of an issue with the vehicles brakes and crashed in to the tram in-front, leading to both to overturn.

Source:

Brake failure on modern large vehicles is very rare. The two main reasons for brake failure are exsecive use of the brakes instead of engaging a lower gear which is driver error or lack of maintenance.

Right before I graduated, I had a Benz, a so called /8 and I encountered a problem with the left front brake cylinders.

Knowing that I couldn't afford to buy two new cylinders, ( because you have to change both) I was asking a friend and we "fixed the brakes", by taking the pads out, some WD 40, an iron, a of of power and it worked again.

But only for three weeks. I was doing 140 km/ h when coming back from a party. I had two friends with me and when I was close to the city, I only stepped "smoothly" on the brake pedal....

What then happened was the worst nightmare somebody can imagine.We overturned three times right opposite the cemetery and a wall finally brought the completely destroyed car to a stop, sitting on its roof.

It took a while that we could crawl out of the wreck and both of my friends suddenly stood next to me and we all in a sudden started laughing when we looked at the wreck.

I could have killed my two friends by being so stupid, but when you're short of money,you might try things out that aren't appropriate.

Van, bus and other drivers in this country usually don't know who's doing the service, so I assume that it could happen that parts won't get replaced and many accidents do happen through a non functioning master cylinder, a broken tube, a blasting tire, etc...

I've learned my lesson though, still got my first rear brake shoes on my Mitsu L 200 and 270,00 km on the clock, because I always use my clutch to slow down.

I apologize for my long post, but thought it's necessary to mention that I almost killed two friends of mine, because I had not enough money to buy new parts.

And we all know how things in this country work, regarding mechanics who know nothing and safety. Drive safe.

Once more, I feel very sorry for the victims, the injured ones and their relatives and friends. wai2.gif

coffee1.gif

I know such "park trams" from Europe.

The will not go much faster than an average bicycle rider,

5 killed and 30 injured.

Must have sped like mad.

5 dead apparently

I recall inspecting a couple dozen HMMWV (Humvee) trucks for the RTA about 4 years ago. I used to be a Field Rep for the manufacturer.

These trucks were about 20 years old & headed to Sudan for a UN mission.

I found many, MANY leaks, not least of which was brake calipers.

The master cylinders looked like they had peanut butter in them.

They didn't fix anything. Just said "OK. No hab budget now. Maybe next year", and shipped them off on an overseas mission.

The brakes won't work without clean brake fluid in the system.

you miserable racist Thai bashers should be ashamed of yourselves - accidents happen everywhere.

How often have your brakes failed?

They could at least call it "Operator Error", or "Poor Maintenance".

Brakes don't fail if maintained.

Properly trained operators don't often run into things.

My ex brother in laws wifes brother lost a child in this.....

Normally vehicles like this would need annual inspections and certification. No such thing in thailand. You can imagine the state of the thing, they dont have any idea of maintenance here. Completely avoidable tragedy if people would give a s**t....

My ex brother in laws wifes brother lost a child in this.....

Normally vehicles like this would need annual inspections and certification. No such thing in thailand. You can imagine the state of the thing, they dont have any idea of maintenance here. Completely avoidable tragedy if people would give a s**t....

Sorry to hear about the kid Bung.

Best wishes to the family in a time of senseless grief.

Source:

Right before I graduated, I had a Benz, a so called /8 and I encountered a problem with the left front brake cylinders.

Knowing that I couldn't afford to buy two new cylinders, ( because you have to change both) I was asking a friend and we "fixed the brakes", by taking the pads out, some WD 40, an iron, a of of power and it worked again.

But only for three weeks. I was doing 140 km/ h when coming back from a party. I had two friends with me and when I was close to the city, I only stepped "smoothly" on the brake pedal....

What then happened was the worst nightmare somebody can imagine.We overturned three times right opposite the cemetery and a wall finally brought the completely destroyed car to a stop, sitting on its roof.

It took a while that we could crawl out of the wreck and both of my friends suddenly stood next to me and we all in a sudden started laughing when we looked at the wreck.

I could have killed my two friends by being so stupid, but when you're short of money,you might try things out that aren't appropriate.

Van, bus and other drivers in this country usually don't know who's doing the service, so I assume that it could happen that parts won't get replaced and many accidents do happen through a non functioning master cylinder, a broken tube, a blasting tire, etc...

I've learned my lesson though, still got my first rear brake shoes on my Mitsu L 200 and 270,00 km on the clock, because I always use my clutch to slow down.

I apologize for my long post, but thought it's necessary to mention that I almost killed two friends of mine, because I had not enough money to buy new parts.

And we all know how things in this country work, regarding mechanics who know nothing and safety. Drive safe.

Once more, I feel very sorry for the victims, the injured ones and their relatives and friends. wai2.gif

Another important point is the quality of the actual brake pads.

I have read that some non original parts can give up to 40% reduction in breaking power.

They may look perfect but some even use saw dust, dry grass and other "fillers".

Commercial drivers have no control over the purchasing of replacement parts and if the procurement guy is cutting corners to save money for his company.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

Source:

I have read that some non original parts can give up to 40% reduction in breaking power.

They may look perfect but some even use saw dust, dry grass and other "fillers".

Commercial drivers have no control over the purchasing of replacement parts and if the procurement guy is cutting corners to save money for his company.....

Good point. To use my HMMWV experience again about RTA trucks, they'd always buy local tie-rod ends and ball-joints (stuff that helps one steer and keeps the tires from falling off).

They'd fall apart after 6 months or so, but "HEY! We saved money!" (which went into some 'official' pockets I'm sure).

Source:

Good point. To use my HMMWV experience again about RTA trucks, they'd always buy local tie-rod ends and ball-joints (stuff that helps one steer and keeps the tires from falling off).

They'd fall apart after 6 months or so, but "HEY! We saved money!" (which went into some 'official' pockets I'm sure).

So they would last as long as the road they ride on, I suppose!

BTW, I agree with you re above.

Five tourists killed and over 50 injured in tram accident at Khon Kaen zoo

7-5-2015-11-10-14-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- Five tourists were killed and over 50 others injured on Sunday when a tram carrying about 30 tourists on a sight-seeing tour at an open zoo in Khon Kean crashed into another tram as it was descending from a hill after developing a mechanical problem.

Pol Lt-Col Saksith Thanakitpairoj, investigative inspector of tourist police, said that the first tram which carried about 30 tourists arrived safely at the destination from the hilltrop station.

As tourists were disembarking from the first tram, the second two-carriage tram which also carried about 30 tourists was descending from the hilltop station and, for reason yet to be investigated, the accelerator got stuck causing the tram to pick up speed uncontrollably and finally crash into the first one.

The impact of the collision hurled the two trams about 300 metres from the destination. Four women and one boy were killed in the collision and 50 others were injured.

The zoo was later closed indefinitely by an order of Pol Col Supakorn Kamsingnok, the deputy provincial police commander pending an investigation into the actual cause of the accident.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/five-tourists-killed-and-over-50-injured-in-tram-accident-at-khon-kaen-zoo

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-06

If the accelerator was stuck, simply turning off the ignition would have shut down the engine. Something doesn't add up.

Turning off the ignition would have been what a Normal person would do. Thai only know one thing - Brakes!

I have advised family and friends who contemplate coming to the country in the 8 years I have been in Thailand to "stay away" . Find a better and safer alternative. Lack of Safety in so many areas is just one of the important factors !

Archived