Panther tank, flak cannon seized in raid on German collector's home

webfact

Panther tank, flak cannon seized in raid on German collector's home

BERLIN, Germany — A 45-ton Panther tank, a flak cannon and multiple other World War II-era military weapons were seized in a raid on a 78-year-old collector's home in northern Germany, Kiel authorities said Friday.

Kiel prosecutor Birgit Hess said the collector, whose name she would not release for privacy reasons, is being investigated for possibly violating German weapons laws but remains free while the probe is ongoing.

In the search Wednesday and Thursday investigators also seized a torpedo and multiple other military items in addition to the Panzer V "Panther" tank and the 88mm flak gun, Hess said. German military engineers were called in to haul the tank out of the underground garage of the house in Kitzeberg, near Kiel.

The collector's attorney, Peter Gramsch, told the dpa news agency all the items were properly demilitarized and registered.

Hess said that she did not know whether the main gun on the tank could fire, but it didn't appear to be properly registered and an independent expert said it wasn't properly demilitarized.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/61086/panther-tank-flak-cannon-seized-raid-german-collectors-home

-- eTN 2015-07-06

it must have been in moth balls for 50+ years, the owner may git a good wipe down yearly and remember the good old days of real action , glory, disablement and death. or he might keep them as a remember of how bad things and people can be when turned against each other for the wrong reason,

whatever he does not seem to present a threat to the community or country so let him have his memories in peace and dont hassel the old fellow. he might have a cou[le sten guns tucked away for rabbit hunting.

around that age memories and wishfulful thinking are the best part for many of us, a few times i have wished for a good air powered nail gun mounted to my vehicle just to pay back the inconciderant drivers who think they own road, countryside and country.

it must have been in moth balls for 50+ years, the owner may git a good wipe down yearly and remember the good old days of real action , glory, disablement and death. or he might keep them as a remember of how bad things and people can be when turned against each other for the wrong reason,

whatever he does not seem to present a threat to the community or country so let him have his memories in peace and dont hassel the old fellow. he might have a cou[le sten guns tucked away for rabbit hunting.

around that age memories and wishfulful thinking are the best part for many of us, a few times i have wished for a good air powered nail gun mounted to my vehicle just to pay back the inconciderant drivers who think they own road, countryside and country.

Nice attitude, but wrong, I'm sorry....but only because the weapons have not been properly demilitarised. Imagine some neo-nazi or other extremist group buying them from the guy's estate in years to come.

A tank and a flak cannon could cause a lot of chaos and be both offensive and defensive.

Golly, there must be a lot of jolly large rabbits around Kiel if he needs to have a couple of Sten guns to hunt them!

The Panther tank used 75mm shells, doubt if you could easily get such ammo in 2015. It had 2 mg42 machine guns, 9mm, plenty ammo available for them. The Flax gun was the infamous 88mm, again not easy to get in 2015. The real value of such items is renting them out to movies. I believe the collectors that rented out their Tiger tank and other WW2 German and USA military vehicles for the movie SAVING PRIVATE RYAN made a fortune.

It seems that there is an expert opinion claiming that the weapons were not properly demilitarized. Now the prosecutor has no choice. She is obliged to investigate, otherwise she would commit a crime herself. If the old man actually gets convicted (we are not talking about petty theft, this is a serious violation), he will certainly not go to jail due to his age and because he seems to be a first time offender (I am assuming that he did not fire that bloody thing when he made his little excursions).