Malaysia's PM Najib pondering legal action against WSJ in 'a few days'

webfact

Najib pondering legal action against WSJ in “a few days”

6-7-2558-10-13-02-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysia's Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said on Sunday he is consulting his lawyers to take legal action against allegedly defamatory articles concerning the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) furore, New Straits Times reported.

He said a decision would be made in a couple of days.

The Malaysian prime minister was referring to recent articles published by Wall Street Journal, which claimed a whopping US$700 million from the investment firm was channelled into his personal account.

He said he had consulted his lawyers, who would advise him on the next course of action.

“I will make a decision in a few days, on the action needed to be taken concerning these malicious accusations,” said Najib.

On Friday, the international business daily published an article quoting an “unnamed investigator”, claiming that almost US$700mil (RM2.6bil) of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) funds flowed into Najib’s personal accounts before the 13th General Election.

The 1MDB refuted the claim, while Najib denied taking any funds for his personal gains, and accused former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad for being responsible over the latest “lie”.

The WSJ had since stood by its report. The international business daily said it possessed “solid” documents to back its claim.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/najib-pondering-legal-action-against-wsj-in-a-few-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-06

So, Najib 'denied taking funds for his personal gains', rather than a clear denial that the funds were transferred into an account under his name.

If, as has been alleged, the funds were used to finance the last election campaign, his legal action against the WSJ will make interesting reading Between the devil and the.....!!

With all US$ transfers being routed via New York I would think that the US authorities will be taking a keen interest in this case. I would be surprised if Najib travels to the US any time soonwhistling.gif

I recall a few years back when the NYT published an in-depth report on the hidden wealth of Wen Jia Bao, the 2nd in command over in commieville China. The report itemized his very large financial holdings and included his family, etc. Ol' Wen was mighty perturbed and made a big hue and cry, even threatening to take the NYT to court for the 'defamation' he suffered. Wen took out big newspaper ad pages to make his case to the public.

He never followed up with the lawsuit. Of course Wen is totally guilty of grabbing public monies from the chinese coffers but it's no crime to grab anything in China, if you're a top dog.

Najib won't sue either. His lawyers will advise him thusly. The truth is far too risky.

WSJ to Najib...bring it on baby!

The best defense is to go on the offense with bluster and sabre rattling. I would not be surprised if this whole issue died down and disappeared in the days and weeks ahead. Position in this case has its priviledges. The WSJ as a credible newspaper would not risk a lawsuit unless it held all the aces. Looks like the PM is trying for an all in move but cannot get a good read on the cards WSJ is holding. Lets see who blinks first.