certified translation

tefljames

^^

What Loaded said. You can get it done at City Hall for a modest fee. But what we also found out recently is that the "translation" can actually be done yourself (blank forms can be found online) and does not need to be done by a certified translation service (whose translation the office didn't accept as accurate enough).

British embassy does not require Ministry of Foreign Affairs stamp, just the stamp of the translator. We used Chiang Mai University Language Institute for the translation of birth certificate then a small shop on the west bank of the river just north of the Holiday Inn bridge, close to the "ghost house".

Having said that, the OP asked for birth registration at the embassy. In the case of the UK, there really seemed no benefit to spending all that money on registering the birth with the UK authorities, we went straight to passport application. Don't know what nationality the OP is.

When I got married in Bangkok over 30 years ago to a Thai lady, I decided to register the marriage in the UK. Recently, when we both applied for our UK pensions, it was no hassle to send them copies of the UK registered certificates.

Edited by delboy

British embassy does not require Ministry of Foreign Affairs stamp, just the stamp of the translator. We used Chiang Mai University Language Institute for the translation of birth certificate then a small shop on the west bank of the river just north of the Holiday Inn bridge, close to the "ghost house".

Having said that, the OP asked for birth registration at the embassy. In the case of the UK, there really seemed no benefit to spending all that money on registering the birth with the UK authorities, we went straight to passport application. Don't know what nationality the OP is.

Hi Naboo,

Thanks for the info.

I am Brit and wifey and baby Thai, as my baby is not likely to need a passport for many years I thought it better to have her registered in UK and can then apply for a passport any time also I am very old and it could be more difficult for the wife to apply when I have left this world, plus I understand there may be other beneficial reasons to register as opposed to just a passport?

Any more advice is welcome.

James

Hi Naboo,

Thanks for the info.

I am Brit and wifey and baby Thai, as my baby is not likely to need a passport for many years I thought it better to have her registered in UK and can then apply for a passport any time also I am very old and it could be more difficult for the wife to apply when I have left this world, plus I understand there may be other beneficial reasons to register as opposed to just a passport?

Any more advice is welcome.

James

Applying for first passport is not straightforward. You will need to submit your full original birth certificate to confirm you are British by birth and entitled to pass on British citizenship. If you aren't British by birth I would hate to think of what the hurdles would be. If you have lost your original full birth certificate, you can order another though the procedure is not one I would expect anyone to find easy. I had to do this and it involves reading through hundreds of pages of birth records to find your entry.

When I looked into registering the birth with the embassy, the ladies at the consulate here in Chiang Mai basically told me that the only benefit is that the birth is listed somewhere in London and maybe that may make something easier in the future. But they said the Thai birth certificate and translation are what is always asked for, not a name on a list.

I would honestly recommend just getting the passport, then citizenship is confirmed. If you weren't to be around, this would be a nightmare.