Busted Teaching

richard10365

Talk on the street is that teachers in Bangkok are getting busted teaching English without work permits.

Just so he or she knows the risk they are taking, can someone who knows, or think they know, post the auctual penalties that have been imposed on the English teachers working without a work permit?

Edited by richard10365

Easy

get legal.

The penaltys can be harsh kicked out etc.

The director of the company/school knowingly employing you can go to prision or get a hefty fine.

So Stiggy, these are the penalities that you think or you know have already been imposed on the busted English teachers in BKK or is this what you think might happen?

The ministries of labor and education don't have the manpower to go around busting every school in the country (or even in BKK) for hiring illegals. Unless you're working at an international school, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the lack of teachers created by all this raiding becomes a bigger problem for schools than it already is, the ministries will either turn a blind eye (as they've done in the past) or most teachers will have to go underground.

Considering that the potential official penalties are quite severe (involving possible jail time both for the worker and the employer) people are getting off pretty lightly- better than time in a Thai jail followed by deportation, after all- on the other hand, to do so would lead to major domestic and international PR problems, since Thailand has hardly been a strict enforcer of its own laws up to this point. I think the smaller penalty plus the warning and time limit are fairly appropriate steps up to "serious" penalties as time goes on.

I think they'll still be surprised by the economic sting in the tail, though of course as usual it won't hurt the people it really should.

Recently, I was talking to a parent who said they insist on their children's school hiring farang who are 100% legal. The parent characterized the newer farang teachers as illegals, party-ers, and immature. I told him that he made a lot of good points, and it's great to see a parent who is so concerned about his child's education.

However, who flaunts the law more: the new teacher in Thailand, who may be the oldest person on the faculty, or the Thai owners and Thai teachers who know Thai law far better?

I told him that I hoped all concerned parents will make it crystal clear to the school, that they will only pay tuition if all the teachers are legal, and that they'll immediately take all their kids out of the school as soon as they discover that one teacher is 1% illegal.

But then again, not all Thais understand Thai law in the same ways that Westerners understand Western law. Or should I say, the Western concept of scrupulously obeying the law.

And I don't think the "illegal young new teacher" is synonymous with partying. I was 62 when I was still teaching, and partying if I wanted to, and still arriving for class sober and rested. That was full-time as an ajarn, at prestigious government schools that adamantly refused to make me legal, or couldn't be bothered to do it, despite my requests.

Maybe I'd love to see the Thai parents doing the same thing: reporting the schools to the pertinent authorities, after advising the farang teacher to quit. No, not really; I'd prefer to see all parents clearly demanding to the school Director to stop driving his Mercedes and start directing legal schools.

Once again, ladies and gentlemen, statements such as "most/all English teachers are..." followed by negative slurs will generally be deleted from this forum as inflammatory and defamatory (try saying those together quickly).

"Steven"

Agreed. You're not allowed on the Ladies Forum to say, "all farang or Thai women are bad ladies of the evening" or to say on the Phuket forum "nobody there but sex tourists and drunks." At least, not repeatedly and obviously.

If you have a specific example of Farang Ajarn Rupert who came drunk every morning to school, and comment that he was the only such ajarn at that school, fine. Or that he was the only farang ajarn alcoholic there. But this constant stereotyping of newcomers as young and immature (I started at age 60), or as incompetent 9th grade dropout hillbillies or Cockneys, has no place here.

My first farang fellow schoolteacher was about to get his Ph.D. and was over 40. The next guy was over 55, and then a 30-something with a BS and an MS, then a guy about 57...the list goes on. Even the former Peace Corps workers sooner or later had titles like "Professor of Education" and "Ambassador to...."