Thai govt threatens to punish those who defame PM in social media

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

So you spend way too much time on Youtube then? laugh.png

There were problems (street battles) in the UK in the sixties and seventies. The history, or perhaps better to say "the evolution" of democracy in the UK took hundreds of years, from the signing of the Magna Carta, through a bloody civil war, with universal suffrage only being achieved after the horrors of WW1.

It was this long history of struggle that made Spitting Image, Private Eye and many others able to be tolerated in the UK, as anything else would be a backward step after so much struggle at the cost of so many lives. Thailand's a lot to go through before such programmes and publications will be allowed in this Kingdom.

You forgot to include Boudicca battling the Romans. We've already had 7/7 and NI Troubles, and the Civil War too, thrown into a discussion about modern social media and leadership portrayal *today*. We might as well bring the Vikings into it too. Remember Lindisfarne 793.

I was responding to the photos of Private Eye, which in turn was a very selective response to my comments about social media and societal stability. I replied to that by saying that Private Eye (today) was publishing in a climate of political peace and stability (today) which has existed for generations. I specifically used the fictional comparison of Tory and Labour supporters slaying each other in the streets outside the Private Eye offices, and how that loss of life would affect what PE would publish during the tense political climate. They would not want to incite Labour or Tory followers into further acts of violence. And that the lack of serious political violence between the two main parties in the UK, has existed for generations. And how this is different to the nation in the OP, where the violence occurred just a few years ago. I can understand why people are still sensitive to the recent tragedies, and are keen to move on. In that context, Private Eye sarcastic public-schoolboy humour would certainly hurt somebody's feelings and re-open old wounds. My point is that in the UK there are no such Tory-Labour wounds to re-open.

Nobody is saying that there haven't been small fights in the UK over politics, or riots over Poll Tax, or historical battles from a long time ago. But that in the two main political parties today, there is no recent history of red versus blue mass-demonstrations and political violence. And that is the peaceful climate that allows Private Eye etc. to make any jokes they want, without it leading to loss of life. The same can not be said of some other countries around the world.

I stand by my original statements, I think it is wrong to defame people, I respect all members of the armed forces, and I think the current government here are doing a good job. That is my sincere opinion. I will avoid future replying to the posters who can not argue with facts, just insulting me in personal ways, and only because I have this particular opinion.

Edited by Yunla

Did you respect the Armed Forces around Greenham Common in the 1980's ? ;) I was also there, on the other end of the abuse serving my country :D

Nothing wrong with your opinions, but how exactly do you hold the General in such high respect, when he's about as transparent as a lead blanket in an x-ray machine? Have you personally witnessed his strategic brilliance (worked well down in the South under his Command too eh? ).

I know guys who served their country for their 22 years, and they were bell ends in the Army then, and they're still bell ends now. Like I said before, respect is earned, not demanded, and should not be expected either, I know of Officers who were outstanding during their Battalion careers, but once they got to Staff level, also turned into bell ends.

But based on all I have read on the eastern Tigers, and what they have done in the past (coups), respect is pretty much the last thing I would offer up.

Insecure man in power. Wonder why.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

Yes, but in "our" countries, libel is a civil instead of criminal offense, and even more importantly TRUTH IS A UNIVERSAL DEFENSE. In Thailand (perhaps your country is Thailand, Rubi, I'm not certain) if you say something true about someone and they don't like it, you go to jail for a long time. This is even more true if you say something true of someone high status, then you are completely screwed. Thailand represses truth as a foundation of its legal and political culture. (see David Streckfuss "Truth on Trial in Thailand" if you can find it because it is, of course, banned here).

Thais and Falang alike need to gain a greater appreciation for how deeply embedded status, power, and manipulation are in this country. The PM doesn't "just need to learn to take the heat" because in Thailand he can simply throw everybody that pisses him off in jail. He could invoke Article 44 and arrest all the editorial writers and academics if he wanted. He knows he risks political suicide doing that though, not so much by angering the people (they don't matter) but by embarrassing his boss General Prawit, who would have him removed by car or casket.

So, no insecure man in the topic?

As for 'civil' or 'criminal', it's in the importance one gives to defamation, libel and slander. No data, but I wouldn't be surprised id countries in the region here are a bit more strict and even if only 'civil offence' still have higher penalties. singapore comes to mind.

'Truth may be a defence', but it would seem telling political influenced rumours or making insinuations on social media to make some look bad is also becoming 'universal'.

PS I'm a real Dutch uncle.

Edited by rubl

Elvis Costello had a song called Clowntime Is Over - not in Thailand. The self-anointed one's feelings have been hurt ...

Assuming you're on topic you're spreading lies and defame the PM. PM Prayut has not been anointed nor did he 'self-anoit' nor did he ever state to be anoited, or 'the (self) anoited one'.

Of course if you're not referring to the PM in the topic I wonder why you posted your stuff at all.

But he walks on water,if it walks like a duck,talks like a duck it's a duck.attachicon.gifMiracle Man.jpg

Who walks on water?

Their Country, Their Rules like it or not - the sooner we accept that, the better.coffee1.gif

Great... you can now take your opinion that everyone else should have no opinion and discuss the virtues of a spicy som-tam in another thread.... leaving the rest of us to continue this interesting discussion...

Insecure man in power. Wonder why.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

Are you the self-appointed internet police now?

...or did "he who we must not speak off- especially not badly" appoint you?

Do you mean to imply that I'm not allowed to ask a question, ask for an explanation when I do not understand what another poster is trying to say?

BTW as no reply from phoenixdoglover has been forthcoming till now I assume he's just to busy to answer my simple question.

mr general Sansern, you have to admit that internet has many negatives.

The whole world has to live with this untill these problems are solved.

You are wrong and ignorant to start threatening with arrest and or incarceration.

Better you ask people to show restraint and point out responsibility.

Did you respect the Armed Forces around Greenham Common in the 1980's ? wink.png I was also there, on the other end of the abuse serving my country biggrin.png

Nothing wrong with your opinions, but how exactly do you hold the General in such high respect, when he's about as transparent as a lead blanket in an x-ray machine? Have you personally witnessed his strategic brilliance (worked well down in the South under his Command too eh? ).

I know guys who served their country for their 22 years, and they were bell ends in the Army then, and they're still bell ends now. Like I said before, respect is earned, not demanded, and should not be expected either, I know of Officers who were outstanding during their Battalion careers, but once they got to Staff level, also turned into bell ends.

But based on all I have read on the eastern Tigers, and what they have done in the past (coups), respect is pretty much the last thing I would offer up.

I was only thirteen years old at Greenham 83. I actually saw the camp address in a newspaper scrap in the Wakefield gutter where I was sleeping rough, and hitch-hiked down there to see if I could stay with them. The Greenham ladies gave me food and warm clothes, and one of them gave me a small tin crucifix and prayed with me, which changed the rest of my life. She later sent me to Mission Work for the next eleven years, even though I often joke about being an ex-Nun, I was just a Mission Worker. I wasn't suitable to be fully wimpled, for various reasons. I wrote a book about all this in the 1990s (including the Greenham stuff) which was quite well received. At Greenham there were some angry radicals, but there were also many very nice ladies, and some of them were married to soldiers too. It was an anti-nuke camp, not an anti-soldier camp, although there were a few radical crazies who were opposed to *everything* it seemed to me.

I agree with you about there being good and bad people in all groups including soldiers, and indeed doctors teachers etc. But in the interests of brevity I will always say "I support all the troops" instead of saying "I support all the troops except those who are criminal deviants etc." as that is a given.

I respect the PM because I believe he is working hard for peace and stability, and battling corruption. I also respect him for forty-two years of service, as I said at the start. Also as I said before, I can respect and admire a person while still thinking that some decisions are flawed, and I note those flawed decisions but I still believe that things are better overall with that person in charge. I feel more hopeful than I've felt in quite some years, and I hear this generally optimistic feeling echoed by my Thai friends quite often, even though they politely disagree with some policies.

In any case I think it is wrong to insult anyone on the web, if I have never met the person before, and if I met them I might really like them, so it would be just plain foolish to insult somebody that I don't know at all. This applies to leaders too, I would judge them on their actions, and comment on it within the law, and not resort to insults.

There were problems (street battles) in the UK in the sixties and seventies. The history, or perhaps better to say "the evolution" of democracy in the UK took hundreds of years, from the signing of the Magna Carta, through a bloody civil war, with universal suffrage only being achieved after the horrors of WW1.

It was this long history of struggle that made Spitting Image, Private Eye and many others able to be tolerated in the UK, as anything else would be a backward step after so much struggle at the cost of so many lives. Thailand's a lot to go through before such programmes and publications will be allowed in this Kingdom.

You forgot to include Boudicca battling the Romans. We've already had 7/7 and NI Troubles, and the Civil War too, thrown into a discussion about modern social media and leadership portrayal *today*. We might as well bring the Vikings into it too. Remember Lindisfarne 793.

I was responding to the photos of Private Eye, which in turn was a very selective response to my comments about social media and societal stability. I replied to that by saying that Private Eye (today) was publishing in a climate of political peace and stability (today) which has existed for generations. I specifically used the fictional comparison of Tory and Labour supporters slaying each other in the streets outside the Private Eye offices, and how that loss of life would affect what PE would publish during the tense political climate. They would not want to incite Labour or Tory followers into further acts of violence. And that the lack of serious political violence between the two main parties in the UK, has existed for generations. And how this is different to the nation in the OP, where the violence occurred just a few years ago. I can understand why people are still sensitive to the recent tragedies, and are keen to move on. In that context, Private Eye sarcastic public-schoolboy humour would certainly hurt somebody's feelings and re-open old wounds. My point is that in the UK there are no such Tory-Labour wounds to re-open.

Nobody is saying that there haven't been small fights in the UK over politics, or riots over Poll Tax, or historical battles from a long time ago. But that in the two main political parties today, there is no recent history of red versus blue mass-demonstrations and political violence. And that is the peaceful climate that allows Private Eye etc. to make any jokes they want, without it leading to loss of life. The same can not be said of some other countries around the world.

I stand by my original statements, I think it is wrong to defame people, I respect all members of the armed forces, and I think the current government here are doing a good job. That is my sincere opinion. I will avoid future replying to the posters who can not argue with facts, just insulting me in personal ways, and only because I have this particular opinion.

Yeah, I thought you were losing the argument too.

Their Country, Their Rules like it or not - the sooner we accept that, the better.coffee1.gif

that is austridge policy or sergeant Schulz phenomena.

You are right when you talk about North Korea.

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

As opposed to talking tough behind thousands of huge big tanks.

Barring the dislike of non democracy I must admit he does

seem to be doing a decent job , However thai media effectively having their wings clipped probably nutures things well a good thing or a bad thing hard to tell, but theres no blood on the streets and the thais i know be it ones in bangkok are hapi just to get on with their lifes. Anyways, anyway whats this gossip bout the pm, been a naughty boy, playing away from home?

rijit

Edited by rijit

I honestly didn't realise I had entered a contest. I thought I was just defending my point of view. Since you have judged me as the loser, is there a runner-up prize for me, or is it winner takes all?

Elvis Costello had a song called Clowntime Is Over - not in Thailand. The self-anointed one's feelings have been hurt ...

Assuming you're on topic you're spreading lies and defame the PM. PM Prayut has not been anointed nor did he 'self-anoit' nor did he ever state to be anoited, or 'the (self) anoited one'.

Of course if you're not referring to the PM in the topic I wonder why you posted your stuff at all.

But he walks on water,if it walks like a duck,talks like a duck it's a duck.attachicon.gifMiracle Man.jpg

Who walks on water?

Remo, unarmed and dangerous did ;)

Just got a VPN as I read this - Everyone should get one since its so much more secure, esp here ...

Reading Daily Mail now 5555

You got a VPN ... to read the Daily Mail?? blink.png

Never read the peice of shit but its blocked isnt it.?

rijit

I honestly didn't realise I had entered a contest. I thought I was just defending my point of view. Since you have judged me as the loser, is there a runner-up prize for me, or is it winner takes all?

No, no losers here - just interesting dialog, out of my league a lot of it. Reading my comment back it seems a bit harsh, wasn't meant to be.

@uty6543. You probably made that same statement the first year Thaksin was in office and then again when Yingluck was in office.

I do not know uty6543 but I agree with him and suspect that you are very wrong. I believe Eric (who has "liked" your comment) was probably saying such nice things about TS & YS. Amazing what Stockholm Syndrome does to people. Thai democracy baby-steps are finally proceeding, warts & all, but I just wish they were moving a lot faster.

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

So you have been able to speak to what? 47,000,000 Thai's and come to the conclusion that Prayuth is the ONLY hope for Thailand?

What made you arrive at this bizarre conclusion?

I think you need to switch your glasses and stay off the Kool Aid.

There's plenty of well respected and intellectual Thais, with far more experience and respect that an Army General, who stage a coup.

You're trolling you don't get that the general has NO opposition, as he's banned everyone from participating in any form of opposition, we all know the words that describes him, and his regime, but unfortunately, TVF doesn't allow it, which is understandable

Yeah!!! Yawn!!! Heard it all before from you, F.H. So if Yingluck was still running the circus do you reckon that things would be just peachy now? I don't think so, F.H.!!!

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

Nice of you to join up to repeat a lie. Please provide some examples of the elimination of corruption. How many government officials have been charged and convicted of corruption? Aside from the usual PTP vendetta, can you name any? Why is it if corruption is on the run, it is worse than ever in Phuket, a region with strong support for the coup and current administration?

The fact of the matter is that the current administration is enabling and facilitating more extensive corruption because it hasn't done anything to stop it.