Thai govt threatens to punish those who defame PM in social media

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

As opposed to talking tough behind thousands of huge big tanks.

What happens if there is an attack of frogmen? Tanks no good in water are they?cheesy.gif

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

So you have been able to speak to what? 47,000,000 Thai's and come to the conclusion that Prayuth is the ONLY hope for Thailand?

What made you arrive at this bizarre conclusion?

I think you need to switch your glasses and stay off the Kool Aid.

There's plenty of well respected and intellectual Thais, with far more experience and respect that an Army General, who stage a coup.

You're trolling you don't get that the general has NO opposition, as he's banned everyone from participating in any form of opposition, we all know the words that describes him, and his regime, but unfortunately, TVF doesn't allow it, which is understandable

Yeah!!! Yawn!!! Heard it all before from you, F.H. So if Yingluck was still running the circus do you reckon that things would be just peachy now? I don't think so, F.H.!!!

There you go with your assumptions again deer hunter, why would Yingluck still be running the country? Were you not part of the PDRC cheerleader crowd who proclaimed day after day after day after week after week, yeah I was yawning too with the final final final, absolute final pushes too, that the PTP supporters were now a minority? ;)

So you'll forgive me for extending the same "I've heard it all before too " with not a single shred of evidence to back up these claims, as well you know it, the two chances to prove it beyond all reasonable doubt were taken from the electorate by a baying mob of whistle blowers and then a military that does coups better than they do insurgencies ;)

Would they be better ? oh I dunno, had she have won the election, I think the chances of a coup removing her soon after would have still been the talking point, and the country would still be as divided then, as it is now.

Do you honestly believe that ANY former Military Leader, who hails from a non democratic organisation as the military is the right person to preach and practice any sort of democracy?

Do you believe he's the only person suitable to ru(i)n Thailand? He's a petulent teddy throwing, dummy spitting bully, and is displaying the exact mentality of a former leader of the Army, his people skills are non existent, his willingness to listen to any sort of opposition went out the window with Nelson's eye.

He is no better than Thaksin when it comes down to being an ego maniac, power has gone to his head, he had lots of potential and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt initially, he had a golden opportunity to bring the country together, instead all I can see is a division as broad as it was back then, with very little in the way of reconciliation.

All I can see, is a systematic process of stacking all the cards in the favour of the dinosaurs, by using force, and outlandish articles to suppress those who don't agree with him, or his methods. He's become the very man he hates with a passion, when he should have brought the country together and be unified.

You can keep believing he's the only man for the job, that's your prerogative, I chose to believe he's a mere instrument in a much bigger picture, where the prize is the biggest of them all.

He continues to make threats and posture, his temper has got worse, his body language has changed, he cannot stand nor tolerate being questioned, because he's not used to it, when he was the Big Cheese of the Army, when he said "jump" all around him said "how high" now many are asking "why? what do we need to jump for?"

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that things are not what they seem, and the rosy garden is full of thorns. The Thai electorate are not stupid, and to treat them as such, is asking for trouble, and I can honestly see more and more dissent coming his way, and it's all going to end in tears.

I keep reading posters here claim they feel safer now than ever and the country is much more stable, and yet it's still actually under Martial Law to a degree, and article 44 has been action ed, citing unrest and national security, so either the country IS safer, and Martial law and article 44 isn't needed any longer, or it's still unsfafe, it cannot be both, and to maintain control, the Junta still need bogeymen.

He looks drained and tired, perhaps it's actually time for him to step back, and let someone with more diplomacy skills take the reigns, he will still end up a senator at some point anyway, along with most of the NCPO. ;)

I guess the Mod will be busy for awhile deleting all posts referring to Prayut. Actually, it's easier to just get one of the Thai Visa IT folk to write a script that mass deletes all posts that contain either Prayut or The General.

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

So you have been able to speak to what? 47,000,000 Thai's and come to the conclusion that Prayuth is the ONLY hope for Thailand?

What made you arrive at this bizarre conclusion?

I think you need to switch your glasses and stay off the Kool Aid.

There's plenty of well respected and intellectual Thais, with far more experience and respect that an Army General, who stage a coup.

You're trolling you don't get that the general has NO opposition, as he's banned everyone from participating in any form of opposition, we all know the words that describes him, and his regime, but unfortunately, TVF doesn't allow it, which is understandable

Yeah!!! Yawn!!! Heard it all before from you, F.H. So if Yingluck was still running the circus do you reckon that things would be just peachy now? I don't think so, F.H.!!!

There you go with your assumptions again deer hunter, why would Yingluck still be running the country? Were you not part of the PDRC cheerleader crowd who proclaimed day after day after day after week after week, yeah I was yawning too with the final final final, absolute final pushes too, that the PTP supporters were now a minority? ;)

So you'll forgive me for extending the same "I've heard it all before too " with not a single shred of evidence to back up these claims, as well you know it, the two chances to prove it beyond all reasonable doubt were taken from the electorate by a baying mob of whistle blowers and then a military that does coups better than they do insurgencies ;)

Would they be better ? oh I dunno, had she have won the election, I think the chances of a coup removing her soon after would have still been the talking point, and the country would still be as divided then, as it is now.

Do you honestly believe that ANY former Military Leader, who hails from a non democratic organisation as the military is the right person to preach and practice any sort of democracy?

Do you believe he's the only person suitable to ru(i)n Thailand? He's a petulent teddy throwing, dummy spitting bully, and is displaying the exact mentality of a former leader of the Army, his people skills are non existent, his willingness to listen to any sort of opposition went out the window with Nelson's eye.

He is no better than Thaksin when it comes down to being an ego maniac, power has gone to his head, he had lots of potential and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt initially, he had a golden opportunity to bring the country together, instead all I can see is a division as broad as it was back then, with very little in the way of reconciliation.

All I can see, is a systematic process of stacking all the cards in the favour of the dinosaurs, by using force, and outlandish articles to suppress those who don't agree with him, or his methods. He's become the very man he hates with a passion, when he should have brought the country together and be unified.

You can keep believing he's the only man for the job, that's your prerogative, I chose to believe he's a mere instrument in a much bigger picture, where the prize is the biggest of them all.

He continues to make threats and posture, his temper has got worse, his body language has changed, he cannot stand nor tolerate being questioned, because he's not used to it, when he was the Big Cheese of the Army, when he said "jump" all around him said "how high" now many are asking "why? what do we need to jump for?"

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that things are not what they seem, and the rosy garden is full of thorns. The Thai electorate are not stupid, and to treat them as such, is asking for trouble, and I can honestly see more and more dissent coming his way, and it's all going to end in tears.

I keep reading posters here claim they feel safer now than ever and the country is much more stable, and yet it's still actually under Martial Law to a degree, and article 44 has been action ed, citing unrest and national security, so either the country IS safer, and Martial law and article 44 isn't needed any longer, or it's still unsfafe, it cannot be both, and to maintain control, the Junta still need bogeymen.

He looks drained and tired, perhaps it's actually time for him to step back, and let someone with more diplomacy skills take the reigns, he will still end up a senator at some point anyway, along with most of the NCPO. ;)

Actually, Prayuth is worse than Thaksin.

Thaksin had to fight a free media and get through an election. At the moment the Thai people are reliant on this dinosaur's whim and fancy with no accountability at all.

It will end with an election or tears. I go with tears.

Foreigners who throw their support behind Prayuth are endorsing things they would never countenance in their home countries. Of course, for 90% of the foreigners here issues, neither, red, yellow or army ever really touched them.

Could you imagine having your children locked up for supporting democracy? Imagine it.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Freedom of speech also has to be tempered to fit the circumstances in society, if there has been a lot of incendiary rhetoric in recent years, resulting in bloody street battles, then it is prudent to tell people to keep the incendiary rhetoric to themselves until the situation has calmed down.

That's what Hitler and Pol Pot said! Well done!

The fact is that the worse things are, the more you many actually need a revolution, much less contrary opinion.

It is never up to a government to tell the people what's good for them. A free people tell the government what's good for them. Elections, campaigning, contrarian editorials, insulting editorial cartoons, mass rallies, public speeches and, horrors, DEMOCRACY.

This mess, and some people's beliefs are exactly 180 degrees out of sync with the truth.

Cheers

Hear hear. Just look at locking up these students and then calling their parents in !!!!!

If this was North Korea people would be up in arms about it. But no, apparently this is all good for many foreigners on here.

Insecure man in power. Wonder why.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

Rubi, why give them oxygen to continue with their hateful diatribe.. They have no knowledge of the man or his accomplishments, yet criticise and defame under the cloak of anonymity. Even attack his family. Not even Thai citizens, just hateful non intellectual farangs, who have never accomplished anything in their life.

They have no backbone, no life, just wake up each day with the goal of initiating hateful posts in their attempts to seek gratification amongst the others who follow them. Just look and you will see it is the same usual suspects, bitter uneducated and ignorant people who post on most subjects. They wouldn't publicly decry the PM, as they know the rules but like all cowards, they do not play by them and get their jollies by denigrating others.

If the PM takes on a few of these degenerates and they get what they deserve then good on him. I am really sick and tired of these know all/know nothing whiners and their casting of aspersions on others who they do not and will never know. I don't know him either but nothing he or the Junta have instigated has affected me or my family in anyway. Has it affected the haters, I doubt it? But you can bet they will make up something to suggest they have. It must be a sad life for some, holding so much hate within and only able to express themselves, anonymously and many poorly, on forums or social media sites. No intestinal fortitude to do it publicly.

Edited by Si Thea01

Makes me laugh when I read the anal references to North Korea. But getting a bit tired and worn out.

One of our regular posters likes to refer to Godwin's Law, every time someone brings up the subject of Nazi Germany.

Perhaps there is a law similar to Godwin's, which goes like this -

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving North Korea approaches".

I think I will quote it every time I see the inevitable reference to NK. clap2.gif

Thai at heart stated:-

Quote> Actually, Prayuth is worse than Thaksin.

Thaksin had to fight a free media and get through an election. At the moment the Thai people are reliant on this dinosaur's whim and fancy with no accountability at all.

Foreigners who throw their support behind Prayuth are endorsing things they would never countenance in their home countries. Of course, for 90% of the foreigners here issues, neither, red, yellow or army ever really touched them.

Could you imagine having your children locked up for supporting democracy? Imagine it. < end quote

Weren't they locked up for contravening the rule of law. The law, like it or not, is no public rallies of more than 5 people for political purposes? Like all laws we don't like them but adhere by them, without them, anarchy. Imagine that? They knew the risks and elected to go with them, so if they want to be stirrers, then cop the consequences.

And you are right, there are things that I would never countenance in my home country. It relates to many things actioned by the previous government but we are blind to that aren't we? Or were they just so good, that all the criticism levelled at then them was unjustified. Of course there are issues that have never touched me, and nothing foreigners will say or do will ever change anything. Who are the 10% that it affects, are you in that group or the former, if the latter, lets us know how it affected you? I must be in the 90%, as nothing brought in by the Junta has affected me in anyway.

Could you imagine having your children locked up for supporting democracy? Imagine it. < end quote

Weren't they locked up for contravening the rule of law. The law, like it or not, is no public rallies of more than 5 people for political purposes? Like all laws we don't like them but adhere by them, without them, anarchy. Imagine that? They knew the risks and elected to go with them, so if they want to be stirrers, then cop the consequences.

And you are right, there are things that I would never countenance in my home country. It relates to many things actioned by the previous government but we are blind to that aren't we? Or were they just so good, that all the criticism levelled at then them was unjustified. Of course there are issues that have never touched me, and nothing foreigners will say or do will ever change anything. Who are the 10% that it affects, are you in that group or the former, if the latter, lets us know how it affected you? I must be in the 90%, as nothing brought in by the Junta has affected me in anyway.

We have been through this "the law is..." BS many times!

The law obviously only applies to students, opposing the current government.

It does not apply to certain monks, it does not apply to rallies for or against a minimum wage...as was stated here over and over!

Try to keep up!

I agree with you. I find myself greatly divided over the protests / detained students issue. Because on one level they are basically typical idealistic youngsters. But on the other side of it, this is in the context of a law that was passed to prevent small protests, which in turn was in response to the potential for three-month mass-protests as we saw before.

I read the international press about the freedom of speech / detained students topic, and those journalists in the UK etc. never approach the subject of a mass-demonstration that lasts for over three months in the capital city, bringing chaos and losses for local business. In the UK and most democracies, protests in major cities would be arranged to last from morning to evening, after which the protesters would have had their chance to make their statements and are escorted from the area if necessary.

But here we had 2010 protests that went on for more than three months in the capital, and with no plans to leave the area. That would never happen in the home nations of the journalists worldwide who are writing clever pieces about these arrested students. I don't know any governments worldwide that would tolerate those marathon protests in the capital, and in the aftermath they might well create harsh laws to prevent it happening again. That is the context, and the students did know this, although as I said I think they're typical idealistic youngsters and I would very humbly urge leniency in their case.

One post referring to the Thai government as a dictatorship and a couple of off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.

From the pinned topic in the News Forum:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules, and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

We have been through this "the law is..." BS many times!

The law obviously only applies to students, opposing the current government.

It does not apply to certain monks, it does not apply to rallies for or against a minimum wage...as was stated here over and over!

Try to keep up!

I have seen your responses on here, and there is no way I can keep up with such an intellectual but tell me why is it that if someone says something that is not to your liking it becomes BS? Weren't the students charged with sedition, a totally different scenario of those protesting for an increase in the minimum wage. A very poor comparison.

The monks, which monks? Sorry, but I just can't keep up with the knowledge you expound, so are you able to explain this aspect to me? Thank you.

Edited by Si Thea01

Si Thea01, pretty sure you know full well which monks are being referenced to ;)

Trying to play the "don't have a clue what you're saying" card doesn't quite wash unfortunately.

You then go on about people having no knowledge of the man or his accomplishments...more to the point do you?

What were his military accomplishments for all those who question him? Apart from CIC of the Army during the Insurgency, which never ended under his mandate, what military accomplishments did he achieve?

Do you think that being an Eastern Tiger has absolute no bearing on his rise to the top?

Seeing as you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the RTA, what was the act of valour in combat that General Udomjet received his award for, as I cannot find anything about it, and considering it's such a prestigious award, I'd ave thought there would have been more information available.

Who put him forwards for the honour?

If the man, is a bona fide war hero, then he deserves the respect to go along with it.

I agree with you. I find myself greatly divided over the protests / detained students issue. Because on one level they are basically typical idealistic youngsters. But on the other side of it, this is in the context of a law that was passed to prevent small protests, which in turn was in response to the potential for three-month mass-protests as we saw before.

I read the international press about the freedom of speech / detained students topic, and those journalists in the UK etc. never approach the subject of a mass-demonstration that lasts for over three months in the capital city, bringing chaos and losses for local business. In the UK and most democracies, protests in major cities would be arranged to last from morning to evening, after which the protesters would have had their chance to make their statements and are escorted from the area if necessary.

But here we had 2010 protests that went on for more than three months in the capital, and with no plans to leave the area. That would never happen in the home nations of the journalists worldwide who are writing clever pieces about these arrested students. I don't know any governments worldwide that would tolerate those marathon protests in the capital, and in the aftermath they might well create harsh laws to prevent it happening again. That is the context, and the students did know this, although as I said I think they're typical idealistic youngsters and I would very humbly urge leniency in their case.

Well in the home countries of these journalists worldwide, protesters would not have been allowed to block elections because they were on the "right" political side. And people would not need to protest in order to have elections.....

Makes me laugh when I read the anal references to North Korea. But getting a bit tired and worn out.

One of our regular posters likes to refer to Godwin's Law, every time someone brings up the subject of Nazi Germany.

Perhaps there is a law similar to Godwin's, which goes like this -

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving North Korea approaches".

I think I will quote it every time I see the inevitable reference to NK. clap2.gif

Not quite correct, it's about using comparisons to Hitler, and the Nazis, to present day situations. ;)

Why is there no news on this forum about the Koh Tao trials????

The trial started today. Apart from one article on the BP it looks quiet on that front.

Just the way the authorities want it, so they can rail road these lads to a wrongful conviction. Utter lunacy. This all happens on 'mr corrupt killer' Prayuth's watch too.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

Dear Rubl,

It is painfully obvious you know very little about how defamation laws are applied in my "country of birth".

The article is about people being punished for defaming the PM. I responded that the PM is insecure.

In my country of birth, a public figure rarely pursues defamation charges, yet many public figures are subject to severe criticism, much of it not founded in fact. All modern US Presidents have been defamed. It is part of the territory.

It is a historical attribute of many democracies, in which opponents routinely accuse each other of various forms of stupidity and malfeasance. It's an element of the high-spirited debate.

This Thai preference for suppressing debate, especially the acrimonious kind, is a tendency at odds with a parliamentary democracy. I would say, the PM and his minions do the country a disservice by raising this threat of punishment. Especially since the criticism is fairly mild; and much of the criticism is justified by an opposing ideology of government.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Rubi, why give them oxygen to continue with their hateful diatribe.. They have no knowledge of the man or his accomplishments, yet criticise and defame under the cloak of anonymity. Even attack his family. Not even Thai citizens, just hateful non intellectual farangs, who have never accomplished anything in their life.

They have no backbone, no life, just wake up each day with the goal of initiating hateful posts in their attempts to seek gratification amongst the others who follow them. Just look and you will see it is the same usual suspects, bitter uneducated and ignorant people who post on most subjects. They wouldn't publicly decry the PM, as they know the rules but like all cowards, they do not play by them and get their jollies by denigrating others.

If the PM takes on a few of these degenerates and they get what they deserve then good on him. I am really sick and tired of these know all/know nothing whiners and their casting of aspersions on others who they do not and will never know. I don't know him either but nothing he or the Junta have instigated has affected me or my family in anyway. Has it affected the haters, I doubt it? But you can bet they will make up something to suggest they have. It must be a sad life for some, holding so much hate within and only able to express themselves, anonymously and many poorly, on forums or social media sites. No intestinal fortitude to do it publicly.

Your post is a classical example of "the pot calling the kettle black."

You decry "hateful diatribes" by unleashing your own hate.

You decry people who just get online, by doing the exact same thing yourself.

However, to the point, since you responded to my post: Have you ever stood up to your own government, publicly criticizing them, and demonstrating your anger? Have you ever done this at a time when your government deployed the police and the military to control or stop your public actions? Have you done this when other people like you were getting beaten, arrested and in some cases, killed?

I have. In my own country. When I thought the government was very wrong.

Your sanctimonious drivel doesn't wash with me.

Dear Rubl,

It is painfully obvious you know very little about how defamation laws are applied in my "country of birth".

The article is about people being punished for defaming the PM. I responded that the PM is insecure.

In my country of birth, a public figure rarely pursues defamation charges, yet many public figures are subject to severe criticism, much of it not founded in fact. All modern US Presidents have been defamed. It is part of the territory.

It is a historical attribute of many democracies, in which opponents routinely accuse each other of various forms of stupidity and malfeasance. It's an element of the high-spirited debate.

This Thai preference for suppressing debate, especially the acrimonious kind, is a tendency at odds with a parliamentary democracy. I would say, the PM and his minions do the country a disservice by raising this threat of punishment. Especially since the criticism is fairly mild; and much of the criticism is justified by an opposing ideology of government.

Absolutely, I know very little about what goes for defamation in the States. Mind you, I've read a bit about NSA and Snowden and get the impression that the government found different way of 'limiting' defamation.

Anyway, in Thailand we have a strict defamation law which is not only used by politicians and other people you don't like, but by about any and everyone. The topic may be related to the PM but mentions 'rumours' and ''false news". If I were in the States and wrote "phoenixdoglover still beats his wife", you'd sue me.