Thai govt threatens to punish those who defame PM in social media

webfact

Ever heard of this mag?

Yes, I took Communication Studies as an A-level back when it was entirely print-media era. So I have read many of these things in my life. But the point is that the UK did not have years of bloody factional street battles relating to political loyalty, right before PE and other mags printed inflammatory articles. Maybe if armed groups of Tory and Labour supporters were fighting in the streets outside Ian Hislop's office, he would think very carefully about the language and images he published the next day. Those magazine editors are publishing with the luxury of having known nothing but peace and stability in their lifetimes.

Being as you are a tree hugging pacifist,I will forgive you for over looking ' The Troubles " in Northern Ireland.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just have to laugh.

I was completely unaware of these rumors before but now this announcement has brought them to my attention. This is probably the same for sooooo many people. Well done mr pm for drawing more attention to it. Of you'd Of kept your paranoid mouth shut this would of just blown over.

Oh and to posters saying he made Thailand safe. I was living here during apphasit's and yingluck's civilian rule. It was safe then too. It's was only ever slightly dangerous in concentrated areas of bkk during protests that this army government helped stage. Also barring the first coup, 19 coups before this one fixed nothing. Why do you think this one will be any different?

They are not thinking Of the good of the country. They are thinking of the good of the elite.

Being as you are a tree hugging pacifist,I will forgive you for over looking ' The Troubles " in Northern Ireland.

I do love trees and I would see an end to war, so you are correct. Thankyou for the compliment.

I did not overlook the Troubles, I am from the 1970s~1980s era and really the Troubles were dominant in our cultural narrative back then.

I was actually making the comparison with internal left-right politics in two very different nations, and how in one nation they can make fun of their political opposition knowing that their readers won't be involved in potentially violent political demonstrations the next day. The UK political culture is of course very vocal and active, but also blessed by a sense of inevitability, the knowledge that they are just voting for a bunch of random suits in the exact same way that their grandparents voted for a bunch of random suits. This is a pacifying social meme, those voters (and magazine readers) have realised that there is no reason to engage in bloody battles in the name of their political leader, because previous generations have taught them that nothing much changes anyway, and certainly not overnight.

This is reflected in the security of the UK media to use fiery rhetoric, this is based on the generational knowledge that most people already learned to see politics as a great big joke and not worth dying or killing over.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Ever heard of this mag?

Yes, I took Communication Studies as an A-level back when it was entirely print-media era. So I have read many of these things in my life. But the point is that the UK did not have years of bloody factional street battles relating to political loyalty, right before PE and other mags printed inflammatory articles. Maybe if armed groups of Tory and Labour supporters were fighting in the streets outside Ian Hislop's office, he would think very carefully about the language and images he published the next day. Those magazine editors are publishing with the luxury of having known nothing but peace and stability in their lifetimes.

I do love trees and I would see an end to war, so you are correct. Thankyou for the compliment.

I did not overlook the Troubles, I am from the 1970s~1980s era and really the Troubles were dominant in our cultural narrative back then.

I was actually making the comparison with internal left-right politics in two very different nations, and how in one nation they can make fun of their political opposition knowing that their readers won't be involved in potentially violent political demonstrations the next day. The UK political culture is of course very vocal and active, but also blessed by a sense of inevitability, the knowledge that they are just voting for a bunch of random suits in the exact same way that their grandparents voted for a bunch of random suits. This is a pacifying social meme, those voters (and magazine readers) have realised that there is no reason to engage in bloody battles in the name of their political leader, because previous generations have taught them that nothing much changes anyway, and certainly not overnight.

This is reflected in the security of the UK media to to use fiery rhetoric, this is based on the generational knowledge that most people already learned to see politics as a great big joke and not worth dying or killing over.

Today is the 10th aniversary of the London bombings,are you able to follow the news from the UK,or are you there now and see the threats the government is worried about.Hate to burst your bubble.

This is reflected in the security of the UK media to to use fiery rhetoric, this is based on the generational knowledge that most people already learned to see politics as a great big joke and not worth dying or killing over.

Today is the 10th aniversary of the London bombings,are you able to follow the news from the UK,or are you there now and see the threats the government is worried about.Hate to burst your bubble.

I submit to you my spectacularly unburst bubble.

Those bombings were not related to left-right politics, or freedom of speech, or the relative rights of people to comment on their leaders in media during times of social unrest, issues that the OP relates to. And no I haven't been back to the UK in years and have no wish to.

I submit to you my spectacularly unburst bubble.

Those bombings were not related to left-right politics, or freedom of speech, or the relative rights of people to comment on their leaders in media during times of social unrest, issues that the OP relates to. And no I haven't been back to the UK in years and have no wish to.

Just curious,you called youself a tourist,so you have given up your UK citizenship and found a new cause defending Thailand.

I'm only liking this post for all your references that don't point to the General, he nor any of the other Eastern Tigers, past and present don't get any respect, as they're acting and have acted outwith the law, regardless of the reasons, the divide within this country is every bit as great, if not greater than it ever was, you cannot reconcile a country, when it blatantly appears to be persecuting one side.

There are severe abuses of power going on as well, the number of LM/112 cases has trebled under this Regime, this isn't about the good of the country Yunla, this is about making damn sure the right people are in charge of the country when the inevitable happens. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

We disagree on this fundamentally, and it would be offtopic of me to write an essay here about why I don't see this as a societal "us versus them" at all, rather an attempt to prevent factional bloodshed and to preserve values that are cherished as sacred and traditional. I do believe that the current government are acting in the best interests of the country, if I personally would do so in a different way is not relevant as I am just a tourist and it is truly none of my business. What I do know is that as a tourist I am safer now than I was when there was social upheaval going on all the time, and my Thai friends and their children are safer too. When I speak with my blue-collar Thai friends the mood is more optimistic than it has been in decades. And even though there are specific points that they are not happy about, this is actually a universal constant in even the most progressive democracies, people always have issues with one thing or another. But being able to go to work, run their businesses, see their children to school, without a backdrop of factional violence and constant street-protests is something that my friends roundly applaud.

I'm curious as to what makes you feel safer now, I was in Bangkok several times during the protests, and to be honest, never felt the "spidey senses tingling", I never felt any changes to the atmospherics of the country from 2012, all the way to present day.

I heeded the advice, stay away from "flashpoints", where you and I differ, is that working in a hostile environment, I seen and felt things differently, perhaps I would have been more situational aware, due to my background, but not once did I ever feel on edge, and mingling with tourists in areas in and around Koh San Road, judging by their own mannerisms, and behaviour, they also never felt anything other than safe and secure.

Truth be told, Glasgow felt more dangerous than anywhere in Thailand, but if you felt unsafe, then I'd also suspect that you took all the necessary steps and precautions to minimise any sort of risk that you feared. I also moved about the country as well, taking in the touristy places likes Phuket and Patts, and I never encountered anyone who said they felt "unsafe" and expressed a desire to leave the place.

All over the country, in my short time here, it was business as usual, apart from a few isolated and contained areas within Bangkok, which were broadly advertised as "hot spots/danger areas/flashpoints" and all Westerners were given ample and suitable warnings that violence could erupt at any time, and to avoid these places.

For the expats who worked there, it may well have been different, although most of my friends who live there cracked on with their daily lives, and didn't seem too "scared or unsafe". To be perfectly honest, statistically speaking, irrespective of the areas that were being attacked, you were more likely to be a victim of a random crime, than be killed in a terror attack. That statistic hasn't changed, so how safe and secure are you really? If you minimised your risk and exposure to these hotspots, there was no other reason to feel unsafe.

How many schools across Thailand stopped sending their children to school during 2014 Bangkok protests?

How many Government officials/Blue collarworker and Teachers were killed at their place of work during the Bangkok protests?

How many of the same groups above in the Deep South were attacked and killed?

Perspective is a wonderful thing.. If you had said you lived and worked in the Deep South, I would have agreed with a lot of what you're saying, but personally, I think you're over dramatising the situation in 2014, especially in Bangkok. Lots of posters here said that it wasn't the attacks that were impacting their lives and livelihoods, it was the protestors themselves...go figure?

I'm glad you feel safer, I'm just sad that the one and only opportunity for the Thai people themselves to have voted the PTP out, based on all the claims they were a spent force, was never allowed to happen, not once, but twice, by two groups of people who claim they have the countries best interest at heart..

and If you've been in the Kingdom a while, then you'd also know that a lot of what's going on is a show, and the reasons for delays and changes of the constitutions, are nothing more than stalling tactics, to maintain the current status quo, as it's extremely important as to which snouts are in the trough, when a date arrives.

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

Ever heard of this mag?

Can we still blame Thaksin for everything?

YES WE CAN

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

There is a difference between proudly serving and serving professionally. Some countries are noted for their militaries where officers take great pride in the medals and ribbons they award each other. A classic example is Russia where it is not unusual to see a general with both sides of his uniform covered in decorations. Quite a contrast to countries like Australia, Japan or Canada where medals and ribbons are handed out carefully.

The military in some countries is a respectable career and requires leaders who are highly educated, skilled, ethical and who have integrity. Other countries have militaries which are part of a kleptocracy and who have lazy, incompetent, corrupt officers. It Is unusual to have members of the first group of countries' officer corps repeatedly implicated in criminal activity such as human trafficking. It is also illegal for their military personnel to "freelance" as guns for hire/bodyguards for political parties. These militaries also understand that they are accountable to the people.

Your view is that if someone has been employed for a long time in a military and is elderly and distinguished they must be shown respect. I call that a foolish opinion. A corrupt dishonest thug who manages to play the system for years doesn't suddenly become pure and saint like when he hits 60 years of age. If that was the case, all those fiends who had served in Saddam Hussein's military for 20, 30 years and who were implicated in the gassing of Kurds and Iranians should be considered distinguished gentleman and not war criminals. Idi Amin had served proudly in the British colonial army. He even awarded himself the Victoria Cross amongst other awards. He also ate the organs of some of the people he murdered. General Idi Dada Amin died of syphilis in Saudi Arabia living out his life in luxury.

It's great that you remember the pre-internet days. Unfortunately, you seem to have forgotten what distinguished that era: A vibrant fifth estate. Even in countries where there was censorship, there were underground newspapers and journals which accomplished much of what the internet does today. All that the internet does is to provide a different method of communication. It still requires someone to input a story, just as the Sun, National Enquirer, News of the World etc. required a story, or was often the case, fabricate a story. Your good old days had newspapers fanning the flames of war. Remember the Suez crisis, or the Spanish American War?

Respect is earned. Crooked bullies who are 30 years old, sometimes live to the age of 65. Their advanced age doesn't make them better people.

Ever heard of this mag?

YES WE CAN

Move on. It is opinions like yours that are not only boring but halts progress and this country needs progress and fast. I didn't like the man either but those people who constantly harp on about him for everything little thing, need to grow up.

As for politicians and those in power, I believe they should take my old Grandmothers saying. "If someone says something and it is not true don't worry. If it is still don't worry". Wise words in my opinion. After two world wars she told me a few words don't hurt, hunger and pain do.

The world has changed and people do and will criticize. I really don't know or care what people have said or allegedly said. When you are at the top you should expect the heat, as there is always someone who wants to bring you down. My advice to the General is don't worry about it. (whatever it is)

Not so long ago, everyone thought Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris were awesome people too... You can never judge a book by it's cover.

If you had served alongside General Prayuth, in an Operational capacity, and seen how he controlled his men, with sound man management skills, shrewd tactics, overall superior situational awareness, and seen how effective his Command and Control was, during the most bleakest and dire times, then I dare say you could say you had a lot of respect for him.

He was Army Commander and didn't stop the current Insurgency, when he had the entire Army at his disposal, I wouldn't be hailing that as anything worthy of respect either.

Given that General Udomjet holds the equivalent of the Medal of Honor for valour, no matter how much I try to find what he did, combat wise to earn this award, I draw a blank, does anyone know what heroic deed in an act of war that he received such a high award for valour ? I can't find anything online at all, any of the old and bold who have been here a long time able to shed a light on this, only reason I ask, is that if he carried out some heroic act in combat.. that is worthy of respect.

Ever heard of this mag?

YES WE CAN

Move on. It is opinions like yours that are not only boring but halts progress and this country needs progress and fast. I didn't like the man either but those people who constantly harp on about him for everything little thing, need to grow up.

As for politicians and those in power, I believe they should take my old Grandmothers saying. "If someone says something and it is not true don't worry. If it is still don't worry". Wise words in my opinion. After two world wars she told me a few words don't hurt, hunger and pain do.

The world has changed and people do and will criticize. I really don't know or care what people have said or allegedly said. When you are at the top you should expect the heat, as there is always someone who wants to bring you down. My advice to the General is don't worry about it. (whatever it is)

So it's Frangs who are being sarcastic that's halting Thailand's progress? Well I never realised that Farang opinions actually meant something outside of TVF... oh well, we live and learn.

Funny enough, my old granny used to say "stick and stones will break your bones but names will never harm you, so stop being a cry baby"

My Grandad used to say " If they're talking about you, they're leaving someone else alone"

What wars did he fight in? What battles was he a leader in? He's part of one of the most under-utilized, over-budgeted, corrupt armies in the world.

Ever heard of this mag?

YES WE CAN

I think lannaguy was joking,it was a reference to my attachment.But then again some people have no sense of humour.

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

No human being is perfect! Kh Prayut is the ONLY hope for Thailand and it is only those who have an axe to grind chose to criticize. He has made incredible progress with the elimination of corruption which extends from the top to the bottom - but the road ahead is a long one and I only hope he is able tyo continue like this.

cheesy.gif

And really, "Khun" Prayut?

So you have been able to speak to what? 47,000,000 Thai's and come to the conclusion that Prayuth is the ONLY hope for Thailand?

What made you arrive at this bizarre conclusion?

I think you need to switch your glasses and stay off the Kool Aid.

There's plenty of well respected and intellectual Thais, with far more experience and respect that an Army General, who stage a coup.

You're trolling you don't get that the general has NO opposition, as he's banned everyone from participating in any form of opposition, we all know the words that describes him, and his regime, but unfortunately, TVF doesn't allow it, which is understandable

Ever heard of this mag?

There were problems (street battles) in the UK in the sixties and seventies. The history, or perhaps better to say "the evolution" of democracy in the UK took hundreds of years, from the signing of the Magna Carta, through a bloody civil war, with universal suffrage only being achieved after the horrors of WW1.

It was this long history of struggle that made Spitting Image, Private Eye and many others able to be tolerated in the UK, as anything else would be a backward step after so much struggle at the cost of so many lives. Thailand's a lot to go through before such programmes and publications will be allowed in this Kingdom.

It was reported last week that after more than a year of investigations, there had been 71 people charged with corruption.

In a country of 70 million with millions employed as civil servants..... 71.

Give me a month of unfettered access to Chiang Mai Police 'Service' and i'll give you more than 71.

Incredible Progress indeed.

If he's the only hope then Oh Dear !

It was reported last week that after more than a year of investigations, there had been 71 people charged with corruption.

In a country of 70 million with millions employed as civil servants..... 71.

Give me a month of unfettered access to Chiang Mai Police 'Service' and i'll give you more than 71.

Incredible Progress indeed.

The only real success so far is someone who pled guilty to many offences sparked by a subject we can't talk about and nothing to do with any crackdown on corruption.

The truth always hurts!

The truth is with all his faults he is still the best PM this country has had in the last 15 years IMO.

You obviously have neither been in Thailand for fifteen years, nor speak to any Thais who have been adults for at least fifteen years. You are buying what they are selling, and what they are selling is fascism.

Unfortunately his elimination of corruption is rather selective and there goes the hope. Microphone fiasco and the expensive clocks in Government House swept aside. Questioning the generals wealth; threatened and never be asked again. Indeed the road is long and the only hope is that he hand the nation back to the people. At least corruption can then be exposed and talk about.

The truth always hurts!

The truth is with all his faults he is still the best PM this country has had in the last 15 years IMO.

You obviously have neither been in Thailand for fifteen years, nor speak to any Thais who have been adults for at least fifteen years. You are buying what they are selling, and what they are selling is fascism.
Which Thai people should I talk to because if I talk to the ones that think the military junta is the best thing for Thailand right now I'm going to have the same opinion that I have now.

If I talk to red shirt supporters who like burning Bangkok, killing innocent children and really don't care who is in power as long as they get their 500 baht for their vote I am still going to hold on to the same opinion. Is this what your buying into?

BTW I don't talk to Thai people (with their bias one way or the other) about politics I prefer to get my information from better informed sources.

Insecure man in power. Wonder why.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

Are you the self-appointed internet police now?

...or did "he who we must not speak off- especially not badly" appoint you?

Edited by DM07