How much to offer...

sillybilly

Taxi's... as Ghostnigel says above... In Bangkok, tell the taxi to use the meter, if there is any issue simply get out and try the next one.

If issues persist, walk around the corner and try another.

Always try flagging down a moving taxi, those waiting outside hotels or at busy tourist spots are (for the most part) looking to over charge their foreign passengers.

Recommendation: Get a local Sim-Card and register with GrabTaxi... which is a smart phone taxi app which takes away the headache of dealing with potentially dishonest taxi drivers.

Also, Get a local Sim-Card and register with UBER (using your credit card details).

Tuk Tuks: No idea, I've not used one in BKK for over a decade or more... they're never cheaper than a taxi and they have no aircon (BKK is hot and humid !)...

As a rule of thumb - a Taxi within the city centre will rarely cost you more than 100 baht... (this obviously depends on milage).

There is also the sky train when running up and down Sukhumvit Rd.

Edited by richard_smith237

As all the other posters have stated: Take a Taxi and make sure they use the meter.

Non metered taxi's overcharge you anywhere from 50 to even 100thb.

Tuk-Tuk prices can be negotiated but they're far more expensive than Taxi's. I only use them in locations that are devoid of Taxi's and motorbikes and only let them drive me to the nearest busy road.

The tuk tuk folks in BKK are just too damned much trouble. Taxi cheaper! Like above, make them turn on the meter.

Also, most drivers claim they have no change, hoping that they can keep the entire 100 baht you give them for 50 baht fare. So have change. The last time this happened to me, I told him to sit there and wait while I went to look for change (take EVERYTHING with you!). He had to wait about ten minutes while I went from street vendor to street vendor trying to get change, which I eventually got. The cabdriver wasn't happy. I was gloating.

The tuk tuk folks in BKK are just too damned much trouble. Taxi cheaper! Like above, make them turn on the meter.

Also, most drivers claim they have no change, hoping that they can keep the entire 100 baht you give them for 50 baht fare. So have change. The last time this happened to me, I told him to sit there and wait while I went to look for change (take EVERYTHING with you!). He had to wait about ten minutes while I went from street vendor to street vendor trying to get change, which I eventually got. The cabdriver wasn't happy. I was gloating.

I tooka cab into town early the other morning and the fare was 55 Baht.....driver had no change of 100 Baht so happily accepted the 40 Baht change I had.

They are not all bad.