Maps

sillybilly

I don't want to be facetious, but have you tried to google Phuket maps?

Not too computer smart but I think I did, what I am hoping to find is one thats shows the streets as well as some of the temples etc. My friend and I will be hiring scooters to look around with.

The majority of tourist maps are not to scale and don't give a decent representation of what is on the ground. I suggest you use them in conjunction with google Maps and google earth to build up a better perspective. Edit the maps accordingly to draw up your own rough guides to assist you when riding around- ie distances, etc which you can use in conjunction with the odometer.

Actual town plans are again just a rough guide and you would need to pencil in things to help yourself.

Be careful. Renting an m/bike, gawking around, and looking at a map is a recipe for disaster. But if you must, take some precautions.

Does your travel insurance cover m/bike accident?

When you stop to look at the map, get off the road. All the way off the road.

Stay left.

Stay slow.

Stay alive.

Have a safe trip. smile.png

Most of the free tourist maps available at the airport or hotels are heavily skewed toward their sponsors (advertisers). As another poster mentioned, they're generally not to scale.

Many of the English language bookshops in Thailand carry a good selection of regional maps - I'd check one of these for a map of Phuket before your trip.

And please, pay heed to Shot's suggestion above regarding not trying to read a map while riding a motorbike. I can't tell you how many tourists I've seen here doing that and nearly causing accidents.

The OP wanted to do research before arriving which is why I didn't suggest collecting maps at the airport or his hotel.

If he understands the layout before coming I'm sure he won't be riding a bike and reading a map at the same time.

There are reasonably good maps available on line which is why I suggested he look there.

I don't want to be facetious, but have you tried to google Phuket maps?

Not too computer smart but I think I did, what I am hoping to find is one thats shows the streets as well as some of the temples etc. My friend and I will be hiring scooters to look around with.

Probably best to use Google Earth, zoom in and print areas of interest.

• 2 weeks later...