Bt300 wage 'only good for family of 2'

webfact

'Bt300 wage only good for family of 2'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A FAMILY of three may not be able to rise above poverty on just the Bt300 minimum daily wage, a research director on labour development at the Thailand Development Research Institute said yesterday.

In regard to whether the daily minimum wage should be hiked early next year, Associate Professor Yongyuth Chalamwong said a study by his team found that the current wage could cater for a family of two living above the poverty level anywhere in the country.

However, Thailand's Bt300 wage would not be sufficient over time, as the International Labour Organisation said a worker's wage must cover two other two family members as well, he said.

An analysis of the Thai poverty level found that families of three in 61 provinces. The people earning the Bt300 wage and having a family of three in municipal areas were living below the poverty line, while those outside municipal areas could support families of three better.

In reality, sole income-earners in a family had to do overtime or a sideline job on weekends or have their spouse do a part-time job, he said.

In regard to those working on a temporary basis or daily labourers at micro or small establishments, a lack of salary structure prompted their bosses to base wage payment on the minimum wage.

A report by the National Statistics Office said agricultural sector workers earned less than Bt250 a day, he said, and if each of them must tend for two family members, they certainly would be "poor".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bt300-wage-only-good-for-family-of-2-30263896.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-07

All his noise around the 300 Bahts minimum wage has no meaning. The unemployment rate in Thailand is close to 0%. Businesses even paying more than the minimum 300 Bahts can't find workers. The problem is Thais do not want to work. As soon as they reach "sustainability", why means they can pay for their daily booze, they stop working. Increasing the minimum wage will just lower the number of working hours needed to reach this level. The problem in Thailand is work ethic. Success here means doing nothing. That's what need to be improved, not minimum wage.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

All his noise around the 300 Bahts minimum wage has no meaning. The unemployment rate in Thailand is close to 0%. Businesses even paying more than the minimum 300 Bahts can't find workers. The problem is Thais do not want to work. As soon as they reach "sustainability", why means they can pay for their daily booze, they stop working. Increasing the minimum wage will just lower the number of working hours needed to reach this level. The problem in Thailand is work ethic. Success here means doing nothing. That's what need to be improved, not minimum wage.

Sorry Johnny but I have to disagree with you on that point.

I have know a lot of Thais who work bloody hard day in day out to support their families and your comments are nothing but stereotypical generalizations based on bar room hearsay.

"In regard to whether the daily minimum wage should be hiked early next year, Associate Professor Yongyuth Chalamwong said a study by his team found that the current wage could cater for a family of two living above the poverty level anywhere in the country."

Really, professor?

Why not try it with one of your research team?

I know I couldn't live on it.

Scrape by, constantly worrying about money, no doubt gathering debt and saving nothing for the future, maybe.

However living a life that has any measure of security, I don't think so.

I know a single mom with a 8 year old boy living in Pattaya. I help her to survive. I tried to calculate how much is necessary for her daily life (2 persons):

breakfast 80 Baht

lunch 80 Baht

dinner 80 Baht

transportation 40 Baht

other 100 Baht

total 380 Baht x 30 days = 11400 Baht

room 2500 Baht

electric, water 500 Baht

She needs about 14400 per month. That is about 550 Baht a day.

How normal people can survive?

Some goid points. Lets also not forget what happened during the last wage hike. Ready made food on the streets increased at 5-10 baht while quantities per portion decreased significantly. Market prices increased as well. A minimum wage increase is almost always a good thing except when all daily costs increase to cover it.

I have know a lot of Thais who work bloody hard day in day out to support their families and your comments are nothing but stereotypical generalizations based on bar room hearsay.

Which part you don't agree with ? Thai unemployemnt is close to 0% ? Or that it's impossible to find "qualified" worker (maid, construction worker, gas station attendant, waitresses .... ) at THB 300 / day or even more ?

Yes there are people who work hard to make ends meet but dig a bit further and you will realize it's because they've to support an extended family (that part we agreee) of blood sucker lazy ass.

And no, it's not bar room hearsay, it's what owners of small and medium size companies I'm working with are telling me and official statistic you can find anywhere if you take the time to look for it.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Yes, it's a generalization, but a valid one. And yes, there are exceptions to every rule, and there are some very hard working Thai's here.

But ... if you've ever run a business here, or employed Thai's for any reason, for any job, you'd know how accurate JohnnyJazz generalization's actually are.

Agreed. Workers in our factory take all the over-time they can get to lift their salaries higher. It is not uncommon for them to work 10-12 hours per day, 6 days a week (and sometimes 7). This can double their monthly pay cheques.

Case in point. My gf's 23 year old daughter went to nursing school in Khin Kaen. Graduated and got a job at a hospital in Bangkok. Worked one month until she got her first paycheck. Quit work, moved back to Esaan. Got a job at a Khon Kaen hospital last month. Received her first paycheck, 7,000 Baht and quit work. Won't listen to anything her mother tells her. No work ethic.

No way can a couple live off 300 baht a day.... NO WAY.

Me and my wife pay one of our staff 300 baht for 3.5 hours a day. She workd 11am to to 2.30pm daily and then she has a few hours off and starts at a local restaurant from 5 to 11 pm and gets paid 150 baht. That is at a rate of about 25% what we pay.

She says if it was not for us, she would not be able to live.

I am even embarrassed to be paying only 300, but the wife says it is a lot. She is right, compared with Thais who use people as pretty much slave labour.... It is disgraceful.

The owners at this restaurant do give the staff free food, but only get the leftovers from the customers, and this restaurant is making an absolute fortune.

Edited by PepperMe

Which part you don't agree with ? Thai unemployemnt is close to 0% ? Or that it's impossible to find "qualified" worker (maid, construction worker, gas station attendant, waitresses .... ) at THB 300 / day or even more ?

Yes there are people who work hard to make ends meet but dig a bit further and you will realize it's because they've to support an extended family (that part we agreee) of blood sucker lazy ass.

And no, it's not bar room hearsay, it's what owners of small and medium size companies I'm working with are telling me and official statistic you can find anywhere if you take the time to look for it.

Jonclark is 100% right.

You are stereotyping based on the few dregs of society and putting that stigma onto millions of Thais who do not have the opportunities. Either that or you are living in a westernised Thai bubble and you have no clue about real life outside of it.

There are literally millions who are born way outside the metropolitan areas. 40 million of them in Isaan. Many of whom have no access to proper education or live miles from industrialised areas and were basically raised in a subsistance lifestyle and know no better.

But to you they are lazy no-good blood suckers, which they are not.... If you knew any of them and actually took the time to drill down their life and upbringing, you would learn that they are actually very disadvantaged.

Go to any western country and there is no shortage of lazy assed workshy scum who have had full access to good quality education and training/work (With MUCH higher pay) opportunities that these poor sods can only dream about....... AND WASTED THEM..... In favour of a life on benefits.

So get off your judgemental, holier than thou high horse and get out there and look a bit closer at what is all around you, but you are yet to actually see.

Edited by PepperMe

gigglem.gif So, how do I get the lazy folk in my neighborhood to do some work for me? I usually pay between B500 and B1500 for just a few hours of work and they still don't come and rather stay home an sleep. BS, sir.bah.gif

Yes, it's a generalization, but a valid one. And yes, there are exceptions to every rule, and there are some very hard working Thai's here.

But ... if you've ever run a business here, or employed Thai's for any reason, for any job, you'd know how accurate JohnnyJazz generalization's actually are.

Well lets dissect his statement shall we? - "an unemployment rate of close to 0% ...the problem is Thais do not want to work". To me an unemployment rate of 0% suggests that most Thais are in fact working, correct? So the first part of the post seems slightly contradictory to say the least.

"Sustainability defined by being able to pay for their daily booze at which point they stop working". What a load of nonsense. A great many people do loads of overtime when it is on offer or work two jobs and actually save their money.

But all people see here is a couple of blokes having a beer at the end of the day - and jump to the conclusion that the vast majority of the working male population are lazy good for nothing alcoholics who work for their daily fix of booze.

(But of course were the same generalization to be aimed at all the foreigners having a pint in one of the many expat pubs around Thailand at the end of a working day the very hubris it would create from the expat community would defy all logic as they would rightly point out that they have worked very hard that day and deserve a couple of beers)

And the final sweeping statement - The problem in Thailand is work ethic - The problem is not a work ethic - as johnnyjazz already established with 0% unemployment that can't be the case. The problem is grinding poverty and a social system entrenched in maintaining the status quo by keeping alive the idea that the majority of the population (i.e. the poor) are on the whole lazy workshy alcoholics who if given the chance to better themselves would simply waste it, so why bother providing them with more opportunities and financial incentives to improve their lot in life.

Me, I take a slightly more optimistic view of my fellow man.

gigglem.gif So, how do I get the lazy folk in my neighborhood to do some work for me? I usually pay between B500 and B1500 for just a few hours of work and they still don't come and rather stay home an sleep. BS, sir.bah.gif

I think the one with the problem is you.... Looking for the lazy workers, you are going to get lazy workers. Try looking for good workers. There are plenty out there and as someone who runs 3 businesses with my wife and anyone on here who employs Thais will tell you that the good workers far outnumber the bad ones and this is nothing that you will not find also in other even the most developed countries.

It is NOT a Thai thing.

Well lets dissect his statement shall we? - "an unemployment rate of close to 0% ...the problem is Thais do not want to work". To me an unemployment rate of 0% suggests that most Thais are in fact working, correct? So the first part of the post seems slightly contradictory to say the least.

"Sustainability defined by being able to pay for their daily booze at which point they stop working". What a load of nonsense. A great many people do loads of overtime when it is on offer or work two jobs and actually save their money.

But all people see here is a couple of blokes having a beer at the end of the day - and jump to the conclusion that the vast majority of the working male population are lazy good for nothing alcoholics who work for their daily fix of booze.

(But of course were the same generalization to be aimed at all the foreigners having a pint in one of the many expat pubs around Thailand at the end of a working day the very hubris it would create from the expat community would defy all logic as they would rightly point out that they have worked very hard that day and deserve a couple of beers)

And the final sweeping statement - The problem in Thailand is work ethic - The problem is not a work ethic - as johnnyjazz already established with 0% unemployment that can't be the case. The problem is grinding poverty and a social system entrenched in maintaining the status quo by keeping alive the idea that the majority of the population (i.e. the poor) are on the whole lazy workshy alcoholics who if given the chance to better themselves would simply waste it, so why bother providing them with more opportunities and financial incentives to improve their lot in life.

Like I said.

He is taking the lowest of the low social misfits that fester in EVERY society and is tarring the entire Thai workforce with the same brush.

Does this guy even live in Thailand?

Unemployement statistic are usually based on people looking for job. If you're not looking for a job, you're not unemployed. I think a lot of people here will agree with me, a lot of people in Thailand are not looking for a job. For money maybe but definitively not for work.

Look around in Bangkok, most of the workers are Burmese. Why is so ? Because Thais don't want the jobs. Office job, air cond, not overworked ok. But when a bit of sweating is involved ? No way.

Sorry "my" Thailand maybe a bit different from others. I don't go to bar, don't talk to bar girls so was never able to hear their sad life stories. My friends are educated middle class Thais and that's what they say.

As a business owner who employs over 200, it is safe to say it is hard to find Thai workers, I won't even mentioned qualified. Even foreign workers are getting hard to find. Nobody pays 300 baht/day due to the shortage of workers. And based on a general consensus among other business owner friends, Thais are really lazy or don't want to hustle

I have new workers who walked out of the job after half a day of work, mind you its only a packing job sitting by a table and putting stuff in plastic bags. The work is not hard, and they all have fans. Thats not to say there are no hard workers, but 80-90% are just lazy and seeking for work in malls/retail shops where they get AC and do minimum work waiting for customers.

Based on talking to friends, the only ones that do not have much impact are the ones who pay their workers by the piece, this encourages workers to work fast in order to make more money per day.

@jonclark, I can confirm what you are writing. I know a lot of people in BANGKOK who don't receive the minimum wage. Here in the sticks of Mae Hong Son it's the norm. Only a few specialists are getting more.

And forget the manupulated story that the Thai jobless rate is below 1 %. As with all idiotic statistics, it depends on how you define "jobless". Where there are now jobs, there are no jobless people - as prouven here in our Northern remote area.

I totally agree with Jonny

try to give a job to a Thai: today he's coming, maybe the next few days as well, but then it happens: he stays home. Got a booze or a girl, or both and jabba.....after 1-3 days he appears again. I got that experience a dozen times already

I know a single mom with a 8 year old boy living in Pattaya. I help her to survive. I tried to calculate how much is necessary for her daily life (2 persons):

breakfast 80 Baht

lunch 80 Baht

dinner 80 Baht

transportation 40 Baht

other 100 Baht

total 380 Baht x 30 days = 11400 Baht

room 2500 Baht

electric, water 500 Baht

She needs about 14400 per month. That is about 550 Baht a day.

How normal people can survive?

by cooking themself instead of buying the 3 meals per day.

2 fried eggs + rice for breakfast doesn't cost 40 Baht, not bought finished and even less if you make it yourself.

Room, my staff rent for 1000-1500 and mostly they use it together so 500-750 Baht per month.

@jonclark, I can confirm what you are writing. I know a lot of people in BANGKOK who don't receive the minimum wage. Here in the sticks of Mae Hong Son it's the norm. Only a few specialists are getting more.

And forget the manupulated story that the Thai jobless rate is below 1 %. As with all idiotic statistics, it depends on how you define "jobless". Where there are now jobs, there are no jobless people - as prouven here in our Northern remote area.

yes no one gets the minimum wage, we tried to find a home maid for 12.000 Baht/month and couldn't find one. And all that came resigned after 1 month because we expected to really work.

Now we have one who works half the day for 500 Baht.

The construction workers from Myanmar who build our house get 300 Baht per day, men and women (who don't do much) the same. The foreman from Myanmar gets 400 Baht.

+the regular gifts at new year, chinese new year, water paid, some food also. So usual a couple makes 18.000 per month.

So if someone gets less than 300 Baht he is either unreliable and lazy or somewhere outside and not willing to move to a other area.

As a business owner who employs over 200, it is safe to say it is hard to find Thai workers, I won't even mentioned qualified. Even foreign workers are getting hard to find. Nobody pays 300 baht/day due to the shortage of workers. And based on a general consensus among other business owner friends, Thais are really lazy or don't want to hustle

I have new workers who walked out of the job after half a day of work, mind you its only a packing job sitting by a table and putting stuff in plastic bags. The work is not hard, and they all have fans. Thats not to say there are no hard workers, but 80-90% are just lazy and seeking for work in malls/retail shops where they get AC and do minimum work waiting for customers.

Based on talking to friends, the only ones that do not have much impact are the ones who pay their workers by the piece, this encourages workers to work fast in order to make more money per day.

Let me guess, are you another one of them that offers 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, 300bht per day?

yeah great offer

im not suprised they dont want to work actually.

Who would want to exploited, making greedy people rich for a few crumbs.

Why dont you go to your own country and pay the mimimum wage there?

You could even get these "woofers" to work for nothing. Even better