Does airport immigration really not have your valid visa info in their system?

I went out of the country and forgot to take my old passport which has my current visa stamp in it, and arrived with my new passport showing previous Non O Visas. After a brief discussion with a supervisor, they said that unless I had my current visa in hand, they could only give me a 30 day upon arrival stamp. I asked if they had my visa info in their system and they said no. I tried to show them a photo of the visa, but they said they needed to see the actual visa in the old passport. They were very nice about it and we were all joking, but seems antiquated that their system wouldn't show visa information.

In 2015, is this really possible that when a new visa is issued, nothing goes into their system?

What I can't wrap my head around is why doesn't the airport immigration have a system where they scan your passport, then scan your visa so all the info is in there. I can't imagine in this day and age that this is beyond the scope of any country.

• Like 1

Your expectation of an all-encompassing database is reasonable, but Immigration is also reasonable in expecting you to remember to carry your old passport until the visa therein has expired.

Ubonjoe alluded to the root of the problem: Immigration is a branch of the Police and visas are issued by the Foreign Ministry. Someday all these IT systems will come together (though not everyone will benefit from the result).

• Like 2

whistling.gif There is a letter you should have been given when you got a new passport to take to your local immigration to have them copy your old visa information into your new passport.

I just did this in May when I got a new U.S. passport to replace my old expiring U.S passport. On 5 June 2015 I went with my embassy letter to immigration in Bangkok and had my info done and the stamps transferred.

Although you don't see it, at the same time the immigration updates your records.... but that information is not usually seen by the entrance immigration clerk at the airport and not everyone at the airport immigration has the authorization to see that data.

There MIGHT however, have been a supervisor there who actually could have been authorized to find that information.

I know when I transferred my visa info at Bangkok immigration to my new passport they updated my records there..... it took about 15 minutes for them to do a batch of updates as I waited for them to return my new stamped passport to me.

• Like 1

whistling.gif There is a letter you should have been given when you got a new passport to take to your local immigration to have them copy your old visa information into your new passport.

I just did this in May when I got a new U.S. passport to replace my old expiring U.S passport. On 5 June 2015 I went with my embassy letter to immigration in Bangkok and had my info done and the stamps transferred.

Although you don't see it, at the same time the immigration updates your records.... but that information is not usually seen by the entrance immigration clerk at the airport and not everyone at the airport immigration has the authorization to see that data.

There MIGHT however, have been a supervisor there who actually could have been authorized to find that information.

I know when I transferred my visa info at Bangkok immigration to my new passport they updated my records there..... it took about 15 minutes for them to do a batch of updates as I waited for them to return my new stamped passport to me.

They did not transfer your visa. All they did was a stamp with annotations about your visa and the entry using it. It also has your old passport number on it.

That stamp is not valid for entry to the country. If the visa is still valid for entry you would have to show your old passport on entry.

I also doubt they entered much info about the visa because it was already used for your last entry into the country.

• Like 2

LOL.

Do you really think Thai immigration is that organized?

How long have you lived here anyway?

I wonder if US or UK border immigrations officers have access to every visa issued by all their embassies and consulates throughout the world or if they would cheerfully admit someone without the actual visa in hand.

He was granted a 30 day entry and possibly he could take both his passports to immigrations in Bangkok to "correct" the permission to stay he was given. It is, after all, the traveler who is responsible for presenting the required visa. I doubt that even the most laid-back nanny states would be much more understanding or accommodating.

• Like 2

He didn't say he was here on an extension of stay, in which case he could have had the extension stamp transferred along with notation of his last visa entry etc. If his current entries are based solely on a still valid visa, that visa only appears in the old passport and both passports need to be carried to enter the country until the visa expires.

LOL.

Do you really think Thai immigration is that organized?

How long have you lived here anyway?

I wonder if US or UK border immigrations officers have access to every visa issued by all their embassies and consulates throughout the world or if they would cheerfully admit someone without the actual visa in hand.

Australia has an electronic visa system. All visas, where ever they are issued, are immediately imputed into the computer system. This is how the visa is approved. Labels or stamps in a passport are largely unnecessary. The visa details are retrieved electronically when the passport is scanned on arrival. I'm sure the US and UK would have a similar system.

"I went out of the country and forgot to take my old passport which has my current visa stamp in it, and arrived with my new passport showing previous Non O Visas."

How come you managed to get your current visa stamp placed in your old passport and previous non-O visas placed in your new one? Did Dr Who lend you the Tardis to enable you to travel backwards and forwards in time to make these apparent "miracles" possible?laugh.png

Immigration does not have records of visas issued by an embassy or a consulate.

They only have access to their own records that would show entries, departures and extensions of stay and etc.

How far are the details between different country embassy's and consulates shared in a common database?

For example a tourist visa issued by country Laos (who tend to issue a max 3 concurrent double tourist visa's limit) - If you took advantage the three back to back tourist visas and then changed to a new passport - Then applied through a different bordering country for what is really your fourth back to back tourist visa - Would the previous 3 back to back issued visa from Laos show up on this different country's system?

If I were to get my new passport now, but my next trip to immigration isn't until next March, could I just wait and do everything (both the transferring of the stamps & my annual extension) in one visit? Or does immigration get mad if you don't come see them right away as soon as you get a new passport?

The OP said:

"I went out of the country and forgot to take my old passport which has my current visa stamp in it, and arrived with my new passport showing previous Non O Visas"

I don't understand... why would the old passport have your current visa, but the new passport have old visas in it?

Even if visa details were 'in the computer' they would be referenced to a specific passport number, which you didn't have with you, so even a fully computerised system (as is used for example by Australia) wouldn't work if you did not have the referenced passport in your possession at time/point of entry into the country.

They only have access to their own records that would show entries, departures and extensions of stay and etc.

How far are the details between different country embassy's and consulates shared in a common database?

For example a tourist visa issued by country Laos (who tend to issue a max 3 concurrent double tourist visa's limit) - If you took advantage the three back to back tourist visas and then changed to a new passport - Then applied through a different bordering country for what is really your fourth back to back tourist visa - Would the previous 3 back to back issued visa from Laos show up on this different country's system?

The MFA does not have a database for visas issued.

People that had a problem with a visa that was issued with an error have gone to the consular affairs department and had to wait for them to contact the embassy or consulate to confirm they issued the visa.

That is why people can get a new passport and get a new visa even after having several in their old passport. It is possible to go back to the same location where they had gotten several visas. All they go by is what they see in the passport.

The OP said:

"I went out of the country and forgot to take my old passport which has my current visa stamp in it, and arrived with my new passport showing previous Non O Visas"

I don't understand... why would the old passport have your current visa, but the new passport have old visas in it?

Even if visa details were 'in the computer' they would be referenced to a specific passport number, which you didn't have with you, so even a fully computerised system (as is used for example by Australia) wouldn't work if you did not have the referenced passport in your possession at time/point of entry into the country.

The OP has omitted facts. There is no way you would be legally stamped out of the country without the actual passport with the current permitted to stay stamp and departure card.

With that passport he could easily come back under the same extension - before expiry - if he had a reentry permit.

I already had two 3 month Non O stamps in the new passport which I pointed out to immigration, and they rightfully said "but yeah, how do we know that Non O hasn't expired"?

As Old Croc mentioned, many countries keep an electronic record of these things these days, not that hard to do actually.

Edited by steelepulse

If I were to get my new passport now, but my next trip to immigration isn't until next March, could I just wait and do everything (both the transferring of the stamps & my annual extension) in one visit? Or does immigration get mad if you don't come see them right away as soon as you get a new passport?

I don't know your country of origin but if you were British, you cannot have a new passport until you have handed in or sent off ( if living abroad ) your old passport which they then clip the corner from and return it to you along with your new one.

So unless you are using two passports, I don't understand how you will do it?

I managed to do it as I had two passports so doing as you suggested was easy at renewal, I just took both along there and they moved it across.

Edited by Scouse123

The OP said:

The OP has omitted facts. There is no way you would be legally stamped out of the country without the actual passport with the current permitted to stay stamp and departure card.

With that passport he could easily come back under the same extension - before expiry - if he had a reentry permit.

I think the OP had already done an entry using both passports to use the valid visa in the old one. Which would mean he had a entry/permit to stay stamp in his new passport.

The OP said:

I think the OP had already done an entry using both passports to use the valid visa in the old one. Which would mean he had a entry/permit to stay stamp in his new passport.

Correct.

I don't know your country of origin but if you were British, you cannot have a new passport until you have handed in or sent off ( if living abroad ) your old passport which they then clip the corner from and return it to you along with your new one.

Actually that is not true. UK can issue two valid passports, usually the reason is the need to travel to contrasting countries.

So unless you are using two passports, I don't understand how you will do it?

I'm a United Statesian & never gotten a passport renewed. They will mutilate the old passport even though it still has some months of validity?

I'm a United Statesian & never gotten a passport renewed. They will mutilate the old passport even though it still has some months of validity?

Yes, all countries do that, and is marked as such in their national database, which is not shared with other counties. But one can still have valid visa, permits etc in it reason for which is needed to travel.

So back to the original question - will immigration be mad that I tossed the new passport into a desk drawer for a few months instead of immediately coming in to get all the old stamps transferred?

For one if your new passport doesn't have the entry stamp transferred when you have to produce for official needs there is no info on it about your legal stay. Even some hotels wants to check that.

And if you don't have the entry stamps transferred you can have trouble exiting.

The MFA does not have a database for visas issued.

People that had a problem with a visa that was issued with an error have gone to the consular affairs department and had to wait for them to contact the embassy or consulate to confirm they issued the visa.

That is why people can get a new passport and get a new visa even after having several in their old passport. It is possible to go back to the same location where they had gotten several visas. All they go by is what they see in the passport.

Blimey - I'm stunned!

So even in the same country where the visa has been issued - they do no record this in any type of computer system and the only evidence of a consulate or Embassy has is what is on the passport itself.

I might be missing something here, but is this not a workaround for the restricted amount of tourist visa applications that can be made back to back, by simply applying for a new passport after using up the max amount of back to back tourist visa applications?

So even in the same country where the visa has been issued - they do no record this in any type of computer system and the only evidence of a consulate or Embassy has is what is on the passport itself.

MfA likely have a database but is not immediately accessible from any Immigration terminal. Some consulates don't bother checking beside what is on the passport itself. Others sends for approval to the embassy in country. Some other claim they have to submit for approval to MfA in Bangkok. There is no uniform approach.

I might be missing something here, but is this not a workaround for the restricted amount of tourist visa applications that can be made back to back, by simply applying for a new passport after using up the max amount of back to back tourist visa applications?

Some people does that, but in reality as long one can prove funds and residence it may not even be necessary.

• Like 1

I already had two 3 month Non O stamps in the new passport which I pointed out to immigration, and they rightfully said "but yeah, how do we know that Non O hasn't expired"?

As Old Croc mentioned, many countries keep an electronic record of these things these days, not that hard to do actually.

I don't believe Thailand is capable of full integration of computer systems in line with most western countries these days.

It is a country built on a mountain of (largely unnecessary) paperwork. If they were to suddenly become fully computerized I believe about half of all office workers would have nothing to do, and it would create a massive unemployment problem.rolleyes.gif

Might have to wait a few more decades for it to become first world, and then many of wouldn't want to live here anyway.biggrin.png

• Like 1