Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Thai policeman who lead the initial investigation into murder of 2 British backpackers tells BBC it will impossible to retest DNA samples

https://twitter.com/JonahFisherBBC

So now its down to the RTP and not the judge to decide? This is chaos and we are not currently seeing anything near what one would call a fair and transparent trial

It's an absolute disgrace. This country should NOT be promoted as a safe tourist destination. It is a dangerous 3rd world cesspit that doesn't deserve ANY tourists

and soon hopefully Thailand will have NO tourists - all done by them self and their imbecille actions ...clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Talk about Karma 5555555

no, the chinese are coming

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In reply to JLCrab Post #353:-

The point is, which has already been stated, is that a translator working for Sky News has been warned off by presumably, the Thai mafia from Koh Tao. Whether that translator was working for Sky News, Reuters, the BBC, or ISIS is irrelevant - what are the RTP doing about it? And why has the roti seller been appointed as official translator for the court? Was the translator that was working for Sky News one and the same? (Sorry JD - conspiracy theory!)And if he is appearing as a witness for the prosecution, how is it possible that he can be appointed as official translator to the court?

So you're saying maybe SKY News is a bunch of wimps who will let their translator be frightened off by some goons from another island where the trial isn't taking place? Did the SKY News camera crew not have a photo or video of their translator being warned off?

Yawn.

What is the point that you are trying to make? That SKY news "invented" this story? Even if so, so what? Bears no relevance to the trial.

Sky have now just published the report also http://news.sky.com/story/1515906/backpacker-murder-dna-setback-for-defence

Meanwhile a Thai translator being used by Sky News in court has said she's been "warned off" helping journalists by the Thai "Mafia".

We are talking about a trial under the Thai system of justice run by people who's only concern is personal wealth and reputation. With enough money I'm sure we could get a judgement stating bugs bunny was the killer and what's more, it would be announced with the straight face of pure thainess.

Reading comments from the RTP in the guardian seem more like a comedy than a serious court case. Can't find samples, maybe lost / destroyed? He only had 6 months to get his case ready and now he's confused when asked about key evidence? It's an absolute joke.

If that's the best they have, the case should be dismissed to save everyone allot of red faces. Give up while you're behind.

dismissing is not enough

- they should start a new honest and professional search for the real murderers

Thailand backpacker murders: DNA evidence 'lost' - police

(BBC) Crucial DNA evidence in the case of the murder of two British backpackers cannot be retested because it no longer exists, Thai police have told the BBC.

The evidence is central to the prosecution case against two Burmese migrants on trial for killing David Miller, 24, from Jersey, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk.

The defence had wanted it re-examined.

It comes as Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, who both deny murder, rape and robbery, appear in court for a second day.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33457038

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2015-07-09

THis was the main reason why they delayed the court case for almost 5 months. Those 2 boys never done it so the cops should look at the older investigations with those linked to the influential persons from Koh Tao. This whole country is becoming a disgrace for the whole world.

I wonder how that rich police chief in Bangkok and the General is going to spin this story.

Any way in Germany the prosecution keeps all the evidence and the police have nothing to do with the case after the case has been completed. They might be called in court as a witness to the case but nothing else.

What he is saying is that the DNA evidence has been exhausted and there is none left, so lets leave it at that.

Is it a blanket statement, referring to ALL DNA samples, ....or just the cig butt (which is inconsequential in my view). If the blundering cop is referring to all DNA samples, then the RTP and prosecution are in deeper doo doo than imagined.

Even if so, so what? Bears no relevance to the trial.

How about coyotes?

So there off back to Koh Tao to check if they have any further evidence!!! Trial of the century in the making for all the wrong reasons

Speaking to lead defence lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat outside the court room, Colonel Somsak said: “I am going back to check and will call you later to tell you what I have.”

The prosecution then asked the three judges to suspend the hearing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11728270/British-backpacker-murder-trial-in-Thailand-descends-into-confusion-over-DNA-evidence.html

Kirsty Jones repeated.

The goal is to keep any heat off Thailand, the real killers, the Thai police, Thai govt, etc. As long as this farce of a trial goes on, the focus is not on any real investigating.

The can will keep getting kicked down the road for ever and ever.

Stuff all the amateur Sherlocks - it doesn't matter who did it any more the whole thing is incapable of producing a fair trial no matter WHO you think did it .....trying to pick at evidence and theories is just schoolboy fantasy....it isn't even relevant...any trial of anyone now can be nothing more than a sham

I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?

How do you know they're two different mafia families (do they mind that you call them mafia? most Thai take extreme offense at being called 'mafia'). How do you know the two families are rivals?

It's only a 20 minute boat ride between the two islands. It's not a stretch to envision very concerned mafia members on the smaller island - cruising over to the larger island and making sure there's as little mention as possible of their possible involvement. It's already known Mon was at the trial today.

It's funny, none of the Headman's shielders (I'm not referring to Crab, but to others more right wing than him) have been jumping up and down protesting the word 'mafia' used to describe the KT Headman's clan. I was careful in prior posts to use the term 'mafia-like' when describing them. Can I now be less careful about that? Good thing I don't live near those islands. They might find me and harass me also - because of my outspoken views on how this case has been so thoroughly skewed to protect the H's people.

Ok lets call them the influential people from Samui and Koh Tao but to a Thai it means the same very much. You back that crap to get in exchange protection if you or a family member get into problems.

Stuff all the amateur Sherlocks - it doesn't matter who did it any more the whole thing is incapable of producing a fair trial no matter WHO you think did it .....trying to pick at evidence and theories is just schoolboy fantasy....it isn't even relevant...any trial of anyone now can be nothing more than a sham

unless they have the DNA taken from the rape. Then they can reexamine the samples taken on the sweep of people and even retest a few who were never really tested.

What a load of BS this is. All these two have done is sign something made up and written by the same human rights lawyer!! This should be dismissed as being 'evidence of their retraction'.

They didn't retract their statements it was done for them.

"All these two have done is sign something made up and written by the same human rights lawyer!!" Give ThaiVisa and us his name or you're just spewing garbage.

"They didn't retract their statements it was done for them." By whom? If you can't supply the 'evidence', then don't write garbage. More spewing.

I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?

How do you know they're two different mafia families (do they mind that you call them mafia? most Thai take extreme offense at being called 'mafia'). How do you know the two families are rivals?

It's only a 20 minute boat ride between the two islands. It's not a stretch to envision very concerned mafia members on the smaller island - cruising over to the larger island and making sure there's as little mention as possible of their possible involvement. It's already known Mon was at the trial today.

It's funny, none of the Headman's shielders (I'm not referring to Crab, but to others more right wing than him) have been jumping up and down protesting the word 'mafia' used to describe the KT Headman's clan. I was careful in prior posts to use the term 'mafia-like' when describing them. Can I now be less careful about that? Good thing I don't live near those islands. They might find me and harass me also - because of my outspoken views on how this case has been so thoroughly skewed to protect the H's people.

Ok lets call them the influential people from Samui and Koh Tao but to a Thai it means the same very much. You back that crap to get in exchange protection if you or a family member get into problems.

Horsesh-t. If they scare off a translator or two what difference is that going to make?

They implicated themselves months ago - I don't believe that a trap was set but they fell in anyway and nobody seemed to pick up on it but me!!

An article that appeared in the Washington Post (I think) stated that, in their own words after they were accused of being the killers/rapists because they (Thai Police) claimed that they had found semen with their DNA on the outside of condoms.

Their response to this was "you can't have found our semen on the outside of condoms because we didn't use them WHEN we violated her"!!

This -like your other posts that I read - is utter BS

I will not go into discussion on this level. People who know how to think will understand

- and you (in case you can) will not want to.

What he is saying is that the DNA evidence has been exhausted and there is none left, so lets leave it at that.

Is it a blanket statement, referring to ALL DNA samples, ....or just the cig butt (which is inconsequential in my view). If the blundering cop is referring to all DNA samples, then the RTP and prosecution are in deeper doo doo than imagined.

Even if so, so what? Bears no relevance to the trial.

How about coyotes?

Surely they must still have the original trace of the DNA from the semen found inside Heather that they used to compare the DNA of 200 people on the Island.

What is the problem then - get some independent testers to take blood/saliva samples from the accused and check their DNA against that trace.

Everyone who knows about this case is angry about it and or loathing the police for the way they have handled the case from the beginning

No one here knows for sure who is right or wrong about who actually murdered the 2 foreigners.

Are the police correct about the 2 suspects in custody and on trail or is this another police cover up?

I do not know for sure and neither does anyone else for that matter.

Meantime, if I had to make a decision......I would decide that the police are conducting another cover up while the 2 Burmese are innocent and simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If it had not been them..... it would have been someone else and certainly not the real murder(s)

The Thai police have a well known history of perpetrating cover ups on a grandiose scale and most people agree that this another cover up and no surprise to anyone.

That being the case then it looks like 2 more people are going to prison for something they did not do.

Cheers

What must the family be thinking of this absolute joke of a case. If I was the father of either of the two victims I'd be out now finding justice my way. The Thai way is a pathetic, miserable mockery of the two innocent victims and the two innocent men whose lives are threatened with no evidence available linking them to the case. The only thing the police had was a fistful of THB and 2 names supplied by the lowlife scum who really did it.

I'm going to watch Deathwish 2 now to make me feel better!

Thailand backpacker murders: DNA evidence 'lost' - police

(BBC) Crucial DNA evidence in the case of the murder of two British backpackers cannot be retested because it no longer exists, Thai police have told the BBC.

The evidence is central to the prosecution case against two Burmese migrants on trial for killing David Miller, 24, from Jersey, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk.

The defence had wanted it re-examined.

It comes as Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, who both deny murder, rape and robbery, appear in court for a second day.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33457038

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2015-07-09

Only in Thailand...

LOST??? clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

They implicated themselves months ago - I don't believe that a trap was set but they fell in anyway and nobody seemed to pick up on it but me!!

An article that appeared in the Washington Post (I think) stated that, in their own words after they were accused of being the killers/rapists because they (Thai Police) claimed that they had found semen with their DNA on the outside of condoms.

Their response to this was "you can't have found our semen on the outside of condoms because we didn't use them WHEN we violated her"!!

This -like your other posts that I read - is utter BS

I will not go into discussion on this level. People who know how to think will understand

- and you (in case you can) will not want to.

I have simply quoted something stated by a human rights lawyer/spokesman or in whatever capacity he works for them in that appears in an article in the Washington post - just because (in my opinion) it shows their guilt that they are the killers/rapists and goes against your argument and opinions on the matter is not my fault.

The young Scottish busker who fled the Thai island of Koh Tao in fear for his ... Lanarkshire, who said on Facebook 'The mafia are trying to kill me! ... by a bar manager and a policeman who accused him of the murder, and a ..

This guy knows more and should be called to testify.

The young Scottish busker who fled the Thai island of Koh Tao in fear for his ... Lanarkshire, who said on Facebook 'The mafia are trying to kill me! ... by a bar manager and a policeman who accused him of the murder, and a ..

This guy knows more and should be called to testify.

I agree but I also think they need to talk to the two who were wanting to kill him. I wonder what they would say in court ?

Just a thought, if the DNA isn't a match, I wonder who's DNA might have been found in Hannah.

Do you (jdinasia) think it should be retested against those who have already been tested ? Maybe a certain someone could head to Britain and do a test in front of the T.V. cameras.

If you're asking jdinasia or AleG, they would say 'No' ...new testing of DNA should not be done which compares Nomsod's or Mon's DNA (or any other of the Headman's peoples' DNA) against the DNA found in/on Hannah. They would say something like, "No, they're not the defendants, they've already been cleared. Forget about them. Don't even mention their names. They're cleared now and foreever, you got that?!"

Do you mean with also the Alibi of Nomsod, in which he is captured on CCTV in his Bangkok Residence at the University on both the day before and the day of the murders?

Or does your Grand Conspiracy Theory also include the Security at the University Campus, plus all the University Students who say Nomsod was in class at the Bangkok University and writing an exam on the morning of September 15th, and day of the murders?

DNA Testing is expensive and also very time consuming. I am sure they are backlogged in Thailand for other crimes, and just like they are where you live. So you can add me to the list that would say No, as with an Alibi like this, you are just wasting time and tax payers money. Especially when you already have a match from the 2 accused.

My friend you do speak some serious pap, in many posts you make to do with this case it seems. Not sure what your agenda is?

There are reports that Nomsod was on KT that night, along with some of his privileged pals, hanging out in his uncles bar. There were students in his class that said he was missing. The Uni cctv 'snapshot' that shows him on uni property the NEXT day had a lot of doubts about its authenticity, and even if authentic it in no way proves that he was not on KT the previous night. (Out of interest is this cctv snapshot from the next day the 'iron clad alibi' that you refer to? If so can you explain how that is 'iron clad'?)

The confrontation between Hannah / David and some locals in the AC bar seems to be neatly forgotten. No cctv has ever been forthcoming from the AC bar I believe? That's pretty handy if our chum was there. Also jokes (or maybe not jokes?) the next day or two between Nomsod and one or two of his chums about the killings on Facebook (in Thai). One of these people was a girl who, like Nomsod, regularly visits KT (another very privileged offspring) and these 2 in particular chatted and joked about the killings. I must dig up her name. The way they talked made me wonder if she might have been on KT that weekend too. In fact to be honest it made me wonder if they were both involved. I'd also be interested to know more about the AC bar DJs and the large fella who posed with a ho as he cropped up in some facebook friends lists also.

Despite numerous cameras on the wee strip there seemed to be a total lack of cctv available/provided of the night in question apart from a few seconds of edited stuff from a single camera. Surely just a few hours of uninterrupted cctv from a few of the best positioned cameras would have helped this case possibly, rather than the tiny bit released that, surprise surprise, just served to confuse and muddy waters even more. Now who can control all this stuff on the ground?

1. Village headman (or relatives)

2. RTP

3. No-one else

Why was Mon and his dodgy copper pal threatening to pin it on and hang Sean McCanna to tidy up if they had nothing on him?

I'll grant you one point for your observation about the condom a few pages back, but, if correct, that to me just backs up the fact that there was a very personal motive behind this attack IMO. The B2 just do not fit. Some others fit much better. I'm not saying Mon was the main perp (or even involved in the initial crimes) but his alleged 'dna test' was apparently done and dusted in 8 hours seemingly without anything even leaving the island yet days later the Bangkok lab themselves said it takes an absolute minimum of 24 hours to do the tests. So I call BS on that particular 'test'. Was Mon hiding something, or maybe his dna might have been uncomfortably close to one of the guilty parties?

I think the only thing that is guaranteed is that the real perps will never get done for this. I do think that there is a lot more knowledge on the island than is being shared, so possibly the truth will out in the long run but will never be 'cast iron'. If people living there think that is paradise then so be it. Funny idea of paradise though - being shit scared of your life if you don't toe the killer mafia line. You can keep that thanks.

Archived