Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Samuel's tweets:

"Farcical scenes as prosecution told they can't use 1 witness as a translator for another. Now trawling CELLS to find a Burmese/Thai speaker!"

I am tempted to say "unbelievable" but that is redundant now in this case

from another online source

Montriwat Tuwichean, 46, who owns a bungalow and restaurant named In Touch, who called police, also testified Wednesday

They also asked why officers took many hours to seal off the crime scene.

Chasit Yoohat, 51, a private doctor from Koh Tao Clinic who was called to the scene, and Montriwat Tuwichean, 46, who owns a bungalow and restaurant named In Touch, who called police, also testified Wednesday.

Can people read back a post or 2 instead of reposting the tweets?

The one about the Mafia threatening the witness is approaching double figures now.

And I think it should be reposted on every single page, it pretty much sums up what we all felt was happening and now we have credible reports about it to.

Lt Col Somsak told BBC that the samples had either been lost - or that only sufficient for 1 test. Defence wanted to verify independently.

Worryingly, Sky News reporter Jonathan Samuels reported that the broadcaster’s translator had been “warned off” by local mafia; not a development that inspires confidence. There were numerous reports during last year’s hectic investigation of the murders that members of local mafia families were involved in the murder.

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial. #kohtao

Andy Hall

Defense can only say: 'recently significant info provided us by UK authorities highlights important contradictions in prosecution evidence'

Is this suggesting that some DNA has gone missing?

As I understand it the Thais are saying some evidence was so small it was used up in the initial test and other evidence has gone missing...

I feel the only way that any creditability to this evidence is that the DNA profile should have passed to a 3rd party who can corroborate they had it before the B2 were on the RTP radar.

Even then I could no be sure because if it were only hair, these samples could have been surreptitiously gained from those two and planted.

The way this case was handled in the first few will leave many of use doubting the strongest of evidence.

Didnt it take 5 or 6 attempts to get this to go to court and now this nonsense. Did they just think the world press would be to busy to turn up?

No matter what further evidence they produce from the shopping trolley now it can never be trusted. I wonder if they even know what they have in the trolley, who packed it, seems to me its like a lucky dip for them! For Gods sake stop the trial now.

Didnt it take 5 or 6 attempts to get this to go to court and now this nonsense. Did they just think the world press would be to busy to turn up?

No matter what further evidence they produce from the shopping trolley now it can never be trusted. I wonder if they even know what they have in the trolley, who packed it, seems to me its like a lucky dip for them! For Gods sake stop the trial now.

In the trolley is also the alleged murder weapon, a shovel.

I can hardly wait for the defense to get stuck into this, how the shovel can inflict such precise wounds on David. One poster on here who is "informed" as opposed to "opinionated" believes that it's possible. I hope the defense can produce expert witness on the murder weapon used.

They probably did after all the other stuff that's gone on in Thailand over the years..However this right from day one has had the media certainly in the UK really involved..I have been really heartened by the coverage on UK news channels ,it's been quite strong and consistent..it's quiet at the moment while the court case has been on but I am sure tonight it's all going to kick off after what's happened today.

Not letting that bias back in yet are you?

There's still a lot of evidence to go through, including the friends of the defendants testimony about the phone, finding out if there are still samples of DNA to be tested etc

Plus it's very important to hear from the defense in open court about their UK evidence!

What a load of BS this is. All these two have done is sign something made up and written by the same human rights lawyer!! This should be dismissed as being 'evidence of their retraction'.

They didn't retract their statements it was done for them.

A police who have lost the key evidence.

An appointed translator who was involved as a potential torturer.

And a mafia mob sneaking outside which threatens people.

Unbelievable

Yes, the post above pretty much sums up events on Day 2 of this trial.

It absolutely beggars belief.

Is this suggesting that some DNA has gone missing?

As I understand it the Thais are saying some evidence was so small it was used up in the initial test and other evidence has gone missing...

I feel the only way that any creditability to this evidence is that the DNA profile should have passed to a 3rd party who can corroborate they had it before the B2 were on the RTP radar.

Even then I could no be sure because if it were only hair, these samples could have been surreptitiously gained from those two and planted.

The way this case was handled in the first few will leave many of use doubting the strongest of evidence.

The cigarette DNA is worthless as it only proves that they were on the beach which they have admitted. Where is the DNA that was on Hannah that is supposed to match the B2??

"I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?"

Craby - are you really that dumb or just hopelessly biased for whatever reason?

Yes. I think the Mafia on Koh Samui are mad as hell that this whole circus is taking place on their island where there are 5-star hotels at their disposal and not backpacker bungalows like on Koh Tao.

Accommodation is not the only income source on these islands. Drugs, booze and hookers for example. How many show up for the full moon parties? 30,000?

Not letting that bias back in yet are you?

There's still a lot of evidence to go through, including the friends of the defendants testimony about the phone, finding out if there are still samples of DNA to be tested etc

Plus it's very important to hear from the defense in open court about their UK evidence!

Yes plenty of bias when we now have reports of DNA getting lost or destroyed, those reports from the lead RTP in the case. Disgraceful

What a load of BS this is. All these two have done is sign something made up and written by the same human rights lawyer!! This should be dismissed as being 'evidence of their retraction'.

Perhaps your post is a load of B.S. unless you have proof of what you are saying

Good, because if that's true the "mafia: are digging there own graves.

The British press won't fear them in the slightest, and will go after them big time.

This is very disturbing, tweet just in from Jonathan Samuels:

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial

https://twitter.com/jonathansamuels

The mafia warning off the Thai translator for Sky News shows just how far they will go. Its little wonder that the defense have stated that important witnesses they have are too scared to testify.

But yes this will backfire on them and will only give the media more determination to report every chaotic aspect of this case, ie tell the truth no matter what the consequences. There are obviously some people who are in a state of fear that the truth will be revealed.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Hall made some time ago and kind of reinforces that

“It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared,” Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said. http://asiancorrespondent.com/128732/koh-tao-murder-suspects-issue-plea-for-witnesses-ahead-of-formal-charges/

Sounds like further Bull-shit from the Defense, which is what they want.

Andy Hall is not bias! He has stated his personal opinion on several links but without Evidence. He tries to sound neutral but makes mistakes. He makes a good living here without working! Unless someone can show me he is given money from his mother, and it comes from other sources.

A Gravy Train is just that! The smart ones know how to find it and pump it. The many dumb ones support it!

A Fact of Life! .

Andy Hall "makes a good living here without working!" This is scurrilous garbage -- like everything you write. I will take this back if you immediately show the "evidence", oh how you love that word, Buggy, of the source and figures of Mr. Hall's income. If you can't, please, please, please <deleted>.

From the Samui Times today:-

"A decision was due to be made by the judge today as to whether independent DNA testing could be carried out. However a senior police officer today told the court that the DNA found on the cigarettes is finished and other samples were only suitable for one test or may have been lost."

"Finished" "Lost" Now there's a surprise! (Especially the "may have" bit!) And from a "senior" police officer!

"I realize what has been reported. Why would the Mafia on Koh Samui let the Mafia from Koh Tao have any say on what happens on their island?"

Craby - are you really that dumb or just hopelessly biased for whatever reason?

Yes. I think the Mafia on Koh Samui are mad as hell that this whole circus is taking place on their island where there are 5-star hotels at their disposal and not backpacker bungalows like on Koh Tao.

Accommodation is not the only income source on these islands. Drugs, booze and hookers for example. How many show up for the full moon parties? 30,000?

How many rooms does have a 5-star hotel at +/- $US 1000 per night??

Perhaps your post is a load of B.S. unless you have proof of what you are saying

I'm no hand writing expert but you don't need to be to see that both letters are written by the same person. Simply look at the dates on both letters and they are identical in every way, as are the loops and style (I used a magnifying glass). I had to laugh when I see the torn out scraps of paper with one sentence scribbled out to make it appear genuine!!giggle.gif.

I don't think it is written in the Myanmar language either and are their signatures for real?

What I would do if I was the prosecutor is ask them to sign a piece of paper - I doubt that they (signatures) would look anything like what's written on the paper.

It is obvious to me that they did it.

Archived