Prayut apologises for seizing power, but explains that 'it was necessary'

webfact

Prayut apologises for seizing power, but explains that 'it was necessary'
THE NATION

30264073-01_big.jpg?1436395377620
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has his picture taken with a group of students and their parents visiting Thailand from the United States at Government House yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday told a group of returning students that he was sorry for seizing power last year, but something had to be done to break the political deadlock.

"I did not want this to happen but it was necessary, so I apologise to all of you," he said.

The 37 students back home from studying in the United States and Europe and 76 of their parents had joined a ceremony at Government House to honour Their Majesties the King and Queen and HRH Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on her 60th birthday.

The reception for Thai students from abroad is held every two years.

The students were special envoys who could help enhance the understanding of foreign countries about Thailand's situation, he said.

Social media was now becoming all the rage, but students should consume only useful information and exercise sound judgement before arriving at any conclusion, he said.

They should not believe anything without reason. They were studying in more advanced countries so the government asked them to help explain to foreign countries that the current government is trying to strengthen the country.

Though this government came to power in an inappropriate way in the eyes of advanced nations, the country had faced an impasse for too long. Something had to be done, he said.

After taking control, the government has ruled the country under a provisional charter and strictly follows the rules. The government has neither vested interests nor political interests. It has been working to reduce disparities and increase income.

"Democracy is the best system but it's not without flaws. The advantage is that people can participate through elections, public referendums and getting representatives to solve problems.

"I go to the polls every time to elect representatives but many problems are not solved, they just get worse. We had to suspend democracy first and strengthen our immune system,'' he said.

The students should explain to foreigners the significance of the Thai monarchy, he said.

Thai kings were regarded as divine and could not be compared with kings of other countries. Thai kings are above all conflicts and that's why Article 112 of the Criminal Code is necessary to help protect the monarchy from being violated.

"Would you allow anyone to insult your father? Thai kings cannot sue anyone. As Thais we have to protect the royal institution. Anyone who doesn't understand this isn't a Thai,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-apologises-for-seizing-power-but-explains-t-30264073.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-09

That's ok general, when the country eventually charges you with treason, they will likewise provide you with a hollow insincere apology also.

Does anybody have a good and complete accounting of how past "dictators" or coup leaders have made out over the years? How many stayed in country? How many are still alive? How many are still working in the government? In Private industry? Were any ever charged or prosecuted after they gave up power after the coup?

That's ok general, when the country eventually charges you with treason, they will likewise provide you with a hollow insincere apology also.

Does anybody have a good and complete accounting of how past "dictators" or coup leaders have made out over the years? How many stayed in country? How many are still alive? How many are still working in the government? In Private industry? Were any ever charged or prosecuted after they gave up power after the coup?

Suchinda Kraprayoon did very well for himself post coup and blood bath crackdown. Became the ceo Of true.

There will be no repercussions for Prayuth unless something happens which is not mentionable due to laws here in Thailand. He will likely continue to have wealth far exceeding his salary like so many other of the top brass.

Well Mr. P, it was no surprise as to what you did...it was expected and normal for Thais after so many past coups.

However, what has happened since and is still happening is a surprise and very much inexcusable...namely the draconian crackdown on freedoms.

is the kid saying 'I'm going to pee on your lap one more time'?

Ahhh, there are so many possible suggestions as to what goes on in the picture but almost all of them run foul of either defamation laws or posting rules biggrin.png

Thai kings were regarded as divine and could not be compared with kings of other countries. Thai kings are above all conflicts and that's why Article 112 of the Criminal Code is necessary to help protect the monarchy from being violated.

"Would you allow anyone to insult your father? Thai kings cannot sue anyone. As Thais we have to protect the royal institution. Anyone who doesn't understand this isn't a Thai,'' he said.

Let's get the facts straight - not all Thai kings were regarded as divine. During the Ayuttaya period, sure with the "deva raja" system - kings being reincarnations of Hindu Gods and Bodhisatas.

During the earlier Sukkothai period Pho Khun Ramkhamhaeng was considered to be the originator of Thai democracy.

Today, things are very different as there is not an Absolute Monarchy.

"Thai kings were regarded as divine and could not be compared with kings of other country's"

So as I understand it the Chinese emperor was considered divine.

The Egyptian pharaoh was considered divine.

The Japanese emperor was considered divine.

Even the English Plantagenet kings were considered divine.

Thai kings of old [and history dictates] as well as European kings, Emperor's, Pharaoh's and even Queens were not above conflict as they went out to battle and sometimes at the for-front of the charging forces.

So just how is it that kings of other county's can not be compared with Thai kings?

Now if it that he is talking about more modern royalty then still today the Japanese Emperor is still considered divine.

Seems to me just another case of Thailand is special and the world doesn't understand Thailand.

Also that it's just another attempted justification of the use of article 112 laws?

My question is when a constitution is written it must be signed and have royal approval, so when a person breaks the constitution why is there no problem?

I'm just asking? It would be great to have this clarified once and for all.

"I go to the polls every time to elect representatives but many problems are not solved, they just get worse. We had to suspend democracy first and strengthen our immune system,'' he (Prayut) said.

What a classic line. This guys gets better with time.

there were three generals names are impossible to spell. that ran off to the temple and became monks! as far as I know there have never been a general court martialed or put in jail!

you still think it was ok for the yingluk government to keep killing protesters then nice human you are....do have a long life

Winston, can you please please please post the evidence that the Government were doing all the killing, are you actually telling me that the ones who have all been caught like the Trat grenade throwers were PTP MP's and Government representatives?

I'd like to see communications between Government officials stating to carry out these attacks please, the logistics memo's of where to collect their hardware etc, all from Government sources.

Otherwise I think your claims are just red herrings.

Thanks

I really think that these topics should be posted and locked because we obviously can't talk about the truth so all we get is people moaning about something without knowing the reasons and the ones of us who know can't tell them the history or even the current goings on.