Thai Tourism Minister says tourism should promote longer stays by foreign visitors

webfact

the longer stays do no come anymore because thailand goverment want\ highclass\ tourist .....and longstay tourist are now only young tourist going around the world and for the longstay eldery people in the european countries it is too expensive they did that15 a 20 years ago [overwintering] the high season is everyyear shorter and shorter half december till end of february....i have a resort so l and other resorts no where i talk about ...20 years ago the whole year tourist, now forget it only the famous places then are now promoted! so it is over ...good luck bo.ranong

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to a lot of people in Oz, I find they have no idea how cheap (and it is bloody cheap) a holiday in Thailand can be. They think in Oz prices where a basic motel roo can cost you B2000/night and a family meal more.

Most Aussies get 4 weeks AL per year, some more. But they come here for a week, staying in relatively expensive large hotels, because it came as a package. If they knew they could stay in reasonable accommodation for $200/MONTH, how cheap even western meals are, they would plan to stay longer.

Why doesn't TAT organise a website where small hotels can post rates for the next month AND ADVERTISE IT.

up to 30 days - no visa cost

up to 60 days - $45 visa cost

up to 90 days - $90 visa cost ??? why

$80 for a motel room in OZ ... where mate?

$6.65 for a motel in Thailand ... where Mate?

I think if you are married to a Thai, you should be able to go free for up to 90 days

I don't want to live in a condominium / unit ... and you can't own property, so that's no help

the cost of living in many ways is not cheap

Maybe make retirement visas easier if you buy a condo or house. Once you have proof of transfer of a minimum amount of funds and the Chanote, then Immigration would issue a 5 year multiple entry retirement Visa valid so long as you continue to own the property. Renewable after 5 years with continued ownership.

This would encourage more foreigner to buy property, stay longer and spend a lot more money than one week tourists on package holidays buying a few souveniers

Kobkarn Wattawarangkoon has probably already thought of that one.

​Desperate situations call for Desperate measures.

Most of us were tourists.

But now since we have become expats and staying longer and spending LOTS of money we all of a sudden become gost guests with absolutely no rights and even less attention.

Madame finds herself on dangerous terrain with this bullshit.

better she go home and stay there.

Maybe make retirement visas easier if you buy a condo or house. Once you have proof of transfer of a minimum amount of funds and the Chanote, then Immigration would issue a 5 year multiple entry retirement Visa valid so long as you continue to own the property. Renewable after 5 years with continued ownership.

This would encourage more foreigner to buy property, stay longer and spend a lot more money than one week tourists on package holidays buying a few souveniers

If you are investing in the country i.e buying a property, have Thai spouse give a permanent residence visa.

There are a dozen ways they could do this.

1. Make visa issues easier to deal with. Longer visas, less hassle with 90 day checks. Easier to get a retirement or marriage visa.

2. Make it easier for foreigners to buy property. The fear that they will take over the country is unjustified. You can limit the amount of land they can buy, and the number of homes they can own, etc.

3. Increase traffic safety. Get the cops to do real police work.

4. Get inflation under control. No matter what these ridiculous government officials say, inflation here is real. Prices are going up all the time. What most Thais in the tourist industry, or who cater to ex-pats do not seem to realize, is that there may come a point where the place is simply no longer a good value, and at that time, we will be moving on, in droves. I have already seen this on Samui. Prices have gone up so dramatically, that it is getting harder to find good value. Restaurants are driving themselves out of business, with their price hikes. Some hotels, who have been particularly aggressive with their price hikes, are experiencing record low occupancy rates. Apartment blocks have significant vacancy rates. There are hundreds and hundreds of villas which are sitting empty. Part of that is due to overbuilding. Part of it is due to aggressive pricing. Some customers are just saying NO!

I could go on for days. The shame about all this, is that it is so difficult for many Thais to look within, for the source of the problem, so the possibility of these changes taking place is low.

Agree with most of the above, but not this line:

2. Make it easier for foreigners to buy property. The fear that they will take over the country is unjustified. You can limit the amount of land they can buy, and the number of homes they can own, etc.

First, tourism is not about buying property, and

Second, the fear is justified - take a look at Australia - high property prices in part due to foreign buyers. If you see Chinese people at a house auction in Aus, just go home, you won't be able to out-bid them.

Thailand has the right policy in that respect.

That is not an problem without a solution so lets not make it as if it is. These things can all be resolved but the will has to be there.

I mean no disrespect, this opinion is common on TV, but maybe it's because they don't want foreigners buying up all the prime real estate and pricing out the Thais. If only 5%, of the 25 million tourists each year, decide to stay then that is 1.25 million foreigners buying up properties. And if you own property, you can bet you will want political representation and equal justice under the law. When you have a complaint about your Thai neighbor you go to the land office and raise a fuss and expect them to accommodate you as an equal because you "own" your property and your poor Thai neighbor rents, and you can afford an attorney and he cannot, and so on. Seems it's just better all around to not let foreigners own real estate with exceptions for condos. I realize that you want to own your home, prefer to own your home, but don't see why it is necessary for you to own your home.

Talking to a lot of people in Oz, I find they have no idea how cheap (and it is bloody cheap) a holiday in Thailand can be. They think in Oz prices where a basic motel roo can cost you B2000/night and a family meal more.

Most Aussies get 4 weeks AL per year, some more. But they come here for a week, staying in relatively expensive large hotels, because it came as a package. If they knew they could stay in reasonable accommodation for $200/MONTH, how cheap even western meals are, they would plan to stay longer.

Why doesn't TAT organise a website where small hotels can post rates for the next month AND ADVERTISE IT.

up to 30 days - no visa cost

up to 60 days - $45 visa cost

up to 90 days - $90 visa cost ??? why

$80 for a motel room in OZ ... where mate?

$6.65 for a motel in Thailand ... where Mate?

I think if you are married to a Thai, you should be able to go free for up to 90 days

I don't want to live in a condominium / unit ... and you can't own property, so that's no help

the cost of living in many ways is not cheap

Yes my prices were way too cheap for oz motels, due to my not having used one for many years.

My friend arrived this week on Samui. His room is B4000 for the next month. Any number of small hotels here would accept B5000 because the place id dead.

If you think Thailand isn't cheap, try going home for a while.

The lady should read the news once in a while before making another ignorant statement.

Brownnosing the Chinese won’t get you far in the near future:

1287 companies were no longer traded on Wednesday. These are 45 percent of the shares in the Shanghai Composite and Shenzhen Component Index with a market capitalization of 2.5 trillion US dollars, as the "Wall Street Journal" reported on the basis of FactSet data. This means that almost half of the shares have now been suspended from trading.

Vendors need to adopt new approaches that will help them sell more goods to tourists.

By putting up more billboards and mega speakers?

They are also encouraged to study more closely what tourists like to buy. Manufacturers are urged to focus on applying traditional knowledge to design products that attract more buyers.

So the faked handbags, clothes, and watches are not attractive anymore?

Heftier fines for overstay that will force them to stay longer first day overstay 100K baht fine paid in cash only that will make them think twice about running of home to spend their money at home, or in some other Asian hot spot.

Thailand, is no longer a cheap place. And you need to think about medical insurance. If retiring here. Bills could wipe you out.

"Thailand is no longer cheap"?? Where are you from? Bangladesh?

They should think about insurance? You can easily get insurance in Thailand. But you know that already, right?

I think people are possibly misreading the topic.

The way I see it the intent is try and encourage tourists staying longer on their holiday, as opposed to long term stays i.e retirement visas etc.

They are also encouraged to study more closely what tourists like to buy. Manufacturers are urged to focus on applying traditional knowledge to design products that attract more buyers.

Manufacture even skimpier outfits for the, ahem, traditional hostess products that seem to be quite an attraction?

We're in thailand can you stay for $200 a month I think not

Vendors need to adopt new approaches that will help them sell more goods to tourists.

Selling clothes and shoes that actually fit westerners (inc. Russians) may help a little with their sales.

OK the Chinese may have a 24" inside leg!

"foreign tourists should always be taken into account when developing a tourism plan." She must have master's degree to come up with this insight. Hey, here's a suggestion: have a sit down with immigration which in last year or so seems to have done every possible move to discourage tourists staying beyond 30 days. Left hand doesn't know what right hand doing.

Somehow, some way, those in decision positions need to realize Thailand not the only game in town (SE Asia). They need to find ways to make this country at least as tourist friendly as their neighbors.

Agree with the previous post, visa's are the biggest issue for people wanting to stay longer in Thailand. Allow foreigners to own 1 property, and then issue them with a renewable 5 year multi-entry visa.

How hard can it be to get a 2x 60 day visas,which give you 6 months if you extend,in your home country.Most tourists want nowhere near this long as they have jobs.Most "tourists"wouldn't want to tie up money in condos that they hardly use or the pitiful returns they give.

Pitiful returns? My landlord must be laughing all the way to the bank. 7 years ago, paid 800,000 baht for the studio apartment I rent in Chiang Mai. Say another 100,000 baht for furnishings. I pay 100,000 baht a year in quarterly instalments. That's a gross return of 11%. Even at current valuation of 1.5 million baht, still a healthy 6.7%. What area are you referring to?

If you want to get "Better class" tourists the TAT need to stop publicising places like Patpong and Nana. We know they get people but they are not generally the type of people that Thailand says it wants.

Every city witout exception has these places but they dont put them in the tourist brochures and then complain that they are not getting "high class" touorists.

People in previous posts have made a lot of good suggestions so here are a few more:

1. Clean up the beaches

2. Clamp down on crime

3. Stop th double rates

4. Too many people seem to die or are murdered here, not a good incentive to bring in tourists.

5. Put the sex side of it to the back ground. It will always exist but families are not going to come when it is advertised in their face.

Make the country visitor friendly. Then you will get the families coming and returning.

It isnt hard it is just a question of understanding what the type of tourist you want to come actually wants

We have people here from many different countries. Maybe we could offer up some suggestions based on what attracts tourists to our home countries. Does Thailand have any museums? I used to live a few blocks from the Smithsonian in Washington DC and that is always a huge tourist draw.

Try cleaning up the beaches and implementing proper waste management systems on the islands, ban the use of styrofoam food boxes nationwide, get rid of the jet skis ( I'm sure they deter more tourists than they attract ) stop employing apes as boat pilots.... I'll stop here as its endless.....

Agree with the previous post, visa's are the biggest issue for people wanting to stay longer in Thailand. Allow foreigners to own 1 property, and then issue them with a renewable 5 year multi-entry visa.

A 5 year visa wouldnt get me to part with several million Bht for a property and I doubt if anyone else would. People bought in Dubai as they were promised a lifetime visa. Then they changed that and the was a mass seeling of properties

We're in thailand can you stay for $200 a month I think not

koh Samui, 200m from the beach., half that to main shopping centre and bars. PM me if you want a resort name and phone number.

Stay for longer ... go to an Island... get murdered why not ?

Thailand backpacker murders: DNA evidence 'lost' - police

Crucial DNA evidence in the case of the murder of two British backpackers cannot be retested because it no longer exists, Thai police have told the BBC.

The evidence is central to the prosecution case against two Burmese migrants on trial for killing David Miller, 24, from Jersey, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk.

The defence had wanted it re-examined.

source BBC

How hard can it be to get a 2x 60 day visas,which give you 6 months if you extend,in your home country.Most tourists want nowhere near this long as they have jobs.Most "tourists"wouldn't want to tie up money in condos that they hardly use or the pitiful returns they give.

It is very hard in Paris actually. All you can get is a single entry and you need to show a certified bank account statement, a payslip or pension statement and a flight out of Thailand after two months or you simply do not get it! Being French, I have to go to Laos to get a double entry.

Dream on.

IF you actually read the article, it's the Minister asking companies to find away to get tourists to stay longer. He is effectively passing the buck. Longer visas would require ministerial approval, this doesn't come from tour companies.!

No need to include buying condos, marrying Thais etc... just make it easier to stay period. 6 month visa on arrival, no 90 day reports or any BS. KISS, (keep it simple stupid). Don't nickel and dime with 1,900 baht extensions. Long termers spend enough. With the Hang Seng correction/crash things are about to get tougher (I think). Ex-pats and long term tourists are worth there weight in gold, bringing money into the country, buy and rent condos and houses. They are here through low season and high season, drought and flood, political unrest and any other setback that causes 2 week tourists to go elsewhere. It is simple, make it easy to stay. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Ulic

Sounds like mostly TV expats trying to twist this into something to make their lives easier.

This is about tourists, expats who live here.

I know for a fact that some tourist who visit Thailand only leave after 30 days and would stay longer and spend more if their tourist visa was for a longer period of time.

I think your condos and retirement visas are valid topics own, but you should start a different thread for that different topic.