More canal roads subside due to severe drought

webfact

More canal roads subside due to severe drought

7-8-2015-2-01-47-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Severe drought that has caused water in many canals in Bangkok and adjacent provinces to go dry has subsequently lead to road subsidence, and serious traffic accident.

The road skirting the Klong Rapeepat canal in Nong Khae district of Saraburi province is the latest case which incidentally is directly on the opposite side of a previous collapse.

Late last night along the Klong parallel road located in Klong Luang district in Pathumthani province, three sections of the road suffered subsidence which caused road surfaces to crack and collapse.

Authorities have inspected the damage and while repairs are being carried out, they are coordinating with heavy vehicle operators such as trucks and buses to reduce their speed so as to not further aggravate the situation.

At the same time the Nong Khae – Nong Sua road located in Nong Khae district in Saraburi province also suffered a similar fate with a 100 metre section experiencing collapse to depth of three metres.

This road skirts the Klong Rapeepat canal and coincidentally the collapsed section is directly opposite a previous collapse on the opposite side.

The incident occurred late last night and officials from the Department of Rural Roads have now closed of this section of the road so that repairs can be made.

The problem was further compounded however when new collapses were reported along another three sections of the road.

Another similar road located in Bang Somboon sub-district in Ongkarak district of Nakhon Nayok province has also experienced subsidence.

The road skirts an irrigation canal and a 100 m section has subsided between 50 cetimetres – 1 metre.

Local administration officials have ordered concrete piles to be driven into parts of the damaged road sections and covered them with gravel as a temporary repair so that local residents can traverse the road in safety.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/more-canal-roads-subside-due-to-severe-drought

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-09

The guy with the death wish probably has the same IQ as the so called engineers who designed and built these roads.

If that is not bad enough look down to where they have the massively huge road closed barriers.

It might have something to do with the big heavy concrete wall running along the canal side of the road, it seems to be a bit of an overkill to me, I'm sure that I would sooner take my chances running down the bank into the water than hitting this thing.

Edited by harada

Roads alongside rivers and canals have been collapsing for years! It is known that lack of water dries up the soil beneath the roads thereby causing subsidence! The answer, of course, is not to build roads alongside water! But that takes commonness to understand!

The guy with the death wish probably has the same IQ as the so called engineers who designed and built these roads.

don't you see - it is Suthep!

I prefer to leave out the named person, which has little to do with the article, except in the mind of fabrication.