How many are there?

KarenBravo

I believe both answers are correct.

The problem is, what do you classify Bkk as?

If a province (jangwat) then 77, I believe Bkk isnt classified as a province, hence 76.

Bkk is I believe called an administrative area.

At one point, I believe that there was a plan to create a new changwat to encompass Suvarnbhumi Airport - so as to not give any existing provinces preferential treatment in being able to levy taxes on the activity there. I think that was going to be the 76th province - and then Bueng Kan was to become the 77th. But then - political winds changed- and the idea for a special airport changwat was scrapped. But Bueng Kan still proceeded - but dropping back to 76th.

MS

Edited by maisodni

First hit on google is wikipedia, it says 76.

am I using a different google to some of you ?

4th and 6th hit on Google says 77.

What's your point?

I did not bother with 4th and 6th as #1 was correct.

Many Thais seem to count Bangkok like a province (overlook the difference and understand "administrative divisions" in total).

Long before Bueng Khan was setup as a new province in 2011 you saw these "76 provinces" posters for foreigners.

From the legal status it is clear that Bangkok is not a province, e.g. because the citizens can elect their "governor" (mayor) while province governors are nominated from the central government. And in Thai you will not read "changwat khrungthep (Bangkok province)" usually.

So strictly its indeed 76 + 1 tongue.png

City of Pattaya is another place with special status (of course below the province status). Fairly complicated.

The WiKi is quite a good source for studying Thailand administrative divisions etc.

Provinces of Thailand

List of districts of Thailand

And from there one can open an article for each of the 878 (?) districts (Amphoe).

In the list of districts you will - correctly - not find the subdivisions of Bangkok.

These 50 "khet" (districts) are listed here:

List of districts of Bangkok

Edited by KhunBENQ

Why is this knowlege so important to the OP

To me just a case of who cares ? Other than the OP of course

General knowledge.

Anyone that doesn't know that there are 50 states in the US, I consider uninformed.

Not knowing how many provinces in the country I call home would also be uninformed.

I've used the word "uninformed" as a substitute for another word because I'm being polite.

The reason I started this OP is because there are two different articles from The Nation on Thaivisa. One of them quotes the number 76 and the other 77.

General knowledge.

Anyone that doesn't know that there are 50 states in the US, I consider uninformed.

Not knowing how many provinces in the country I call home would also be uninformed.

I've used the word "uninformed" as a substitute for another word because I'm being polite.

The reason I started this OP is because there are two different articles from The Nation on Thaivisa. One of them quotes the number 76 and the other 77.

Ok general knowlege without cheating and using google how many counties in England ? Some not knowing that could classed as being uniformed and i am being polite but of course your going to google the answer in an attempt to dazzle us with your brillance

And yet you were interested enough to read the thread and comment on it.

I tend to do my due dilligence before posting dear boy

General knowledge.

Ok general knowlege without cheating and using google how many counties in England ? Some not knowing that could classed as being uniformed and i am being polite but of course your going to google the answer in an attempt to dazzle us with your brillance

Can't remember. Used to know when I was at school, but, left the UK 36 years ago.

If there was a single definitive answer to the question I posted, I wouldn't have started this thread.