Dan Sinkon open?

AliasJohn

I believe the border crossing at Dan Sinkon is now open to the Thai community to cross over. Rumour in town has it that it now its possible for us westerners to

enter Myanmar at Dan Sinkon. Can any one shed any light on it?

Cheers

Open for Thai and Burmese. The first can travel up to Marid/Myeik/Mergui with just a borderpass for a week (max). They cannot travel elsewhere in Burma unless they have proper visas. The latter can come to Prachuap with just a borderpass for 2 days 1 night. Not yet open for farang.

In addition to what I wrote above, between Singkon and Myeik there isn't much to do (virtually nothing unlike you like remoteness). There's a really nice small town called Tanintharyi (Tannawsee in Thai) which lies at the Tanintharyi river but again, there is nothing to do there and accomodation is spartan. The Thai I know who come to Myeik do it for the wat(s) (wat else? pun intended). The area has wats with Thai monks as the area has quite a lot of ethnic Thai people (speaking both Burmese and Thai). The road is pretty good (although still narrow sometimes) now between Myeik and Tanintharyi. Between Tanintharyi and Mawdaung it gets worse but it's ok. Locals travel from Myeik to Mawdaung by minivan, a recent phenomena/service. Or from Tanintharyi to Mawdaung by minivan or motorcycle. As recent as 1,5 years ago nearly all transport was by motorcycle only btw, a long bumpy ride ;-) There's also a boat from Tanintharyi to Myeik. The latter is great fun!

In addition to what I wrote above, between Singkon and Myeik there isn't much to do (virtually nothing unlike you like remoteness). There's a really nice small town called Tanintharyi (Tannawsee in Thai) which lies at the Tanintharyi river but again, there is nothing to do there and accomodation is spartan. The Thai I know who come to Myeik do it for the wat(s) (wat else? pun intended). The area has wats with Thai monks as the area has quite a lot of ethnic Thai people (speaking both Burmese and Thai). The road is pretty good (although still narrow sometimes) now between Myeik and Tanintharyi. Between Tanintharyi and Mawdaung it gets worse but it's ok. Locals travel from Myeik to Mawdaung by minivan, a recent phenomena/service. Or from Tanintharyi to Mawdaung by minivan or motorcycle. As recent as 1,5 years ago nearly all transport was by motorcycle only btw, a long bumpy ride ;-) There's also a boat from Tanintharyi to Myeik. The latter is great fun!

I wonder why the Thai and Burmese authorities didn't open Dan Singkorn for everyone at the same time...Thais normally aren't interested in going to Myanmar anyway, except for a few local businessmen from Prachuab intending on doing business in the seafood industry in Myeik. All other Thai businessmen would fly there via Bangkok and Yangon first, but western travellers would be very interested in going in overland.

Strangely though, there has been no talk of when it might open to foreigners (perhaps after the November elections). Instead, a new crossing in Mae Hong Son province has been proposed to open as an international crossing by the end of the year yet currently it isn't even operating as an official locals crossing! Seems strange to me that the authorities would propose to open a brand new crossing for all foreigners first rather than make the simple upgrade necessary to allow foreigners to pass through Dan Singkorn.

See this article for more information on the proposed new checkpoint: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2015/06/myanmar-proposes-new-checkpoint/

One more inconvenience, for the Thais heading into Myanmar at this checkpoint is they can't bring their own cars or motorcycles. If they arrive by car, they must park at a car park next to the Dan Singkorn crossing, walk across to the Myanmar side and find some sort of local transport to transport them to Myeik.

One more inconvenience, for the Thais heading into Myanmar at this checkpoint is they can't bring their own cars or motorcycles. If they arrive by car, they must park at a car park next to the Dan Singkorn crossing, walk across to the Myanmar side and find some sort of local transport to transport them to Myeik.

untrue. they can go if the car is theirs, ie. paid in full (no mortgage).

I wonder why the Thai and Burmese authorities didn't open Dan Singkorn for everyone at the same time...Thais normally aren't interested in going to Myanmar anyway, except for a few local businessmen from Prachuab intending on doing business in the seafood industry in Myeik. All other Thai businessmen would fly there via Bangkok and Yangon first, but western travellers would be very interested in going in overland.

untrue. most middleclass thais i know in Prachuap are interested to go to myeik; and many already did so. that particular part of burma is very-much influenced by Thailand and ethnic Thai people have lived there for ages and still live there. When Bpama army gained more and more control in Tanintharyi region (starting in the 80s) - most of the region was strictly controlled and administered by KNU - 1000's of Burma-born Thai have fled Myanmar ("Thai diaspora"). Note too that at that time Singkon pass (not an official border then) was not controlled by the Burmese. Thai went in and out (up to Tanawsee and Marid) with no documents whatsoever, simply paying a small fee at Karen checkpoint. Main business/contraband was not seafood but cattle, timber, forest wildlife, etc.

Strangely though, there has been no talk of when it might open to foreigners (perhaps after the November elections). Instead, a new crossing in Mae Hong Son province has been proposed to open as an international crossing by the end of the year yet currently it isn't even operating as an official locals crossing! Seems strange to me that the authorities would propose to open a brand new crossing for all foreigners first rather than make the simple upgrade necessary to allow foreigners to pass through Dan Singkorn.

The MHS crossing is much more needed atm than Mawdaung, economically. Singkon has been open officious for so long already and the south is doing OK with plenty of major hubs (Kawthoung, Myeik, Dawei). Kayah state has been behind for so long due to civil war which has ended. So a crossing is very logical. It's also a good alternative if things go wrong with the Karens on the Myawaddy Kawkareik stretch. Loikaw is close to Naypyitaw.

Southern burma is a case on its own btw. Army(-and connected folks) will decide what will happen with the archipelagio and backpackers are their last priority. The islands are not open yet. Overland travelling south of Myeik is still very "limited" (it's possible but what's the point at the moment, barely any accomodation for foreigners, very slow busses, occasional bandit robbery, etc).