Thai university 'accidentally' sells 3 tons of rare books to recyclers

webfact

ahhhh... and still this guy's get talked about ....thaksin .....when the time is right for him ......he will be back here in thailand ... to get whats been promised to him ...and to collect on past debts ..... any of you that have been here for years will know .... HE WILL BE BACK .......thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I'm not a 'conspiracy theorist' but was it Thaksin who gave a 'hidden order'?

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Why study and learn from recent Thai history when it doesn't project the proper values? It's better to burn the evidence and forget it ever happened.

On the other hand very good to hear there are responsible people, who discovered the mistake and trying to rectify it before too late. I am sure the vendor will know how to set a very good price - he will probably get himself a brand new truck very soon.

What's the chances that the recycler still has them as they represented money to him and he would be looking to make a profit asap ?

If he does still have some / all and has heard the story I'm sure he'll be happy to sell them back but it won't be for Bt 6,000. rolleyes.gif

Maybe the recycler can read and is having a fire sale on old books. He as a businessman would no doubt exam his purchase to check for anything of value. 6,000 bahts for 3 tons? Wow what a deal. I am surprised that this happens as I know when large purchases are made here everything is double and triple checked. Methinks money changed hands here somewhere.

Accidentally my arse. University teachers and over looker are suppose to be well educated in the matter of rare books. Some one made some bahts and it was not the school. Students loose but corrupt teacher leaders gain money for Thai holiday. If it look like b_ll Sh-t and smells like bu-l shi- it is probably bul- shi-!

It would take a good scholar to determine the value of the scripts.

How many of these scholars does the university have? Possibly one.

Hard to believe that he would order the destruction.

A dumb mistake probably is what happened, knowing Thailand.

However, the staff somehow mixed up the order and gave away 3 tons of the library's archival collections instead

Probably because they couldn't be bothered to read the labels! Reading is not a very popular pastime in Thailand for sure!

What do you mean? I see girls in soi 6 reading texts all the time. :)

There's not a day goes by where the utter incompetence of the Thai does not make one wonder.

What an endlessly entertaining people to observe.

coffee1.gif

you should be thankful, you would have few chances to feel superior otherwise

What's the chances that the recycler still has them as they represented money to him and he would be looking to make a profit asap ?

If he does still have some / all and has heard the story I'm sure he'll be happy to sell them back but it won't be for Bt 6,000. rolleyes.gif

minimal...some labor took them. Maybe even Myanmar labor.

And I doubt there is a big market for it.

But a very good chance that it wasn't processed yet when discovered and no one told them to complete stop operation no matter what costs.

Probably because they couldn't be bothered to read the labels! Reading is not a very popular pastime in Thailand for sure!

I don't know about your household, but here and in most of Thailand books are very popular. Many Thai's read a awful lot, just look at a few bookshops and see how busy they are...

I'm not a 'conspiracy theorist' but was it Thaksin who gave a 'hidden order'?

The collection also reportedly included magazines published by student activists in the years leading up to the 1973 student uprising that toppled the military junta at the time.