Thai Taboos & Customs

tk47

Ok, I can understand if this topic has been done before but I cannot find a thread on it so far and if anyone can point me to the correct thread I'd be grateful.

I am curious what customs are seen as being taboo. What would upset the Locals.

Dress sense I understand it is best to wear a T-shirt and shoes.

Also I gather it is rude to tap someone on the shoulder.

But what of other things to do or not to do in Thailand?

thx

If you drop your money on the street, do not step on it to hold it down.

Try to avoid swearing alot, most Thais don't understand the context and only hear the bad word and assume it is directed at them.

Ok, I can understand if this topic has been done before but I cannot find a thread on it so far and if anyone can point me to the correct thread I'd be grateful.

thx

Don't point at anything with your feet.

I got such a bollocking for pointing at something on the bottom shelf at the supermarket just yesterday.

I should know better (the is no embarrased smiley)

Here's another one: NEVER signal a Thai guy to come to you by holding up your index finger and moving it back and forth as we do in the West. That signal basically means "Come fight me!" If you want to signal to any Thai person and have them come to you, just hold your hand palm down and move your fingers back and forth.

As another poster mentioned, NEVER joke about the Royal Family. That may get you into a fight even faster than the finger motion mentioned above. You can make fun of the Prime Minister/government though; provided you aren't talking to one of their supporters. :o

I've learned it isn't really necessary to cover your mouth when toothpickng, just don't open it. That's easy for the frontals. There is one too about handing things over with the left hand - left hand is for toilet duties. I think that one is fading though. Never write a name in red ink. There is a lot of monk stuff too, let them sit alone in the front of the bus; women don't touch them or hand things over to them. 13 is their unlucky number as well. They don't like being compared to animals, and most believe humans are not animals, at least Thai humans.

OK, here is a good one: always offer to share your food with the one you love. Sure fire way to have a major issue is to not share :o

Also, don't use black ink on a money envelope for a wedding.

Not sure about the 13 being unlucky tho, my husband doesn't think so.

OK, here is a good one: always offer to share your food with the one you love. Sure fire way to have a major issue is to not share :o

Yes, you're right. The lucky # is 9 and unlucky is 0 in Thailand. In Korea 4 is unlucky, China 8 is lucky. But my students told me it was 13! Oh well.

Yes, you're right. The lucky # is 9 and unlucky is 0 in Thailand. In Korea 4 is unlucky, China 8 is lucky. But my students told me it was 13! Oh well.

six is unlucky too. it resembles the thai word for lame/crippled (hok)

thx

its rude to touch the head of anyone older than yourself,it is also rude to show the soles of your feet or point by the use of your feet,if you need to use a tooth pick you should sheild your mouth so no one can see what you are doing this is a sign of bad manners if you dont,which seems bazare as they openly pick there nose in public which is aceptable to the thais.if you visit temples you should remove your shoes and wear suitable clothing to cover yourself up.never in jest compair a thai to an animal ie. a monkey or a cow they find it highly offensive

never in jest compair a thai to an animal ie. a monkey or a cow they find it highly offensive

"Saat" which means "animal" in Thai is a real bad one but perhaps the worse animal to call somebody is a "hia" which translates to "monitor lizard". This word is one of the rudest words to call somebody although it can be used in vulgar expressions that are not directed at anyone in particular.

Calling somebody a "kwai" or "buffalo" is another bad one...akin to calling somebody a moron.

"Monkey" or "cow" would be nice words to describe the high school kids I used to teach! :o

Edited by Thaiboxer

Saat" which means "animal" in Thai is a real bad one but perhaps the worse animal to call somebody is a "hia" which translates to "monitor lizard". This word is one of the rudest words to call somebody although it can be used in vulgar expressions that are not directed at anyone in particular.

Can anyone explain this further ? These lizards are regarded as stupid, or ... ?

The monitor lizard is regarded as a disgusting creature by Thais and therefore associating somebody with one is a huge insult. You will sometimes see these lizards on small, country roads or even swimming in a canal or lake; they swim like an alligator or crocodile.