Translation service in Bangkok

XGM

Translation services are disgustingly unprofessional in Bangkok, it seems they are willing to officially recognize just about anybody who speaks the slightest bit of the foreign language . I speak German and English fluently but the Embassy insisted on an officially stamped translation. I paid 600thb for them to translate one German document into English. After reading it, not only did I find multiple mistakes, but some sentences which were supposed to represent one thing, were actually translated into the exact opposite! Turning a recommendation into a questionable reason for doubt.

Needless to say, I contacted the German embassy and provided both documents for them to translate. Afterwards I sued the translation company. These were very important legal documents where a single mistake could prove to be disastrous. It took 3 months and I only got 300k out of it, but at least they all had their licenses revoked and will never work in the translation business again.

Best tip I can give you when translating important documents is: Let your embassy handle it. It takes longer, but your documents are being translated by somebody employed by the government, having studied for at least four years, and passed a state exam. As opposed to a Thai wannabe who studies the language over the weekend, has no degree, never passed an exam and probably got his certificate through the help of the company and some connections.

Sorry for the long reply, but the experience I had disgusts me to this very day.

Of course there will be professional translators in Bangkok.

Can not speak for English - Thai, but same as the German embassy also the British embassy gives a list of translators:

(the German embassy would not handle the translation, you have to take care)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/thailand-list-of-lawyers

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/249302/FINAL_List_of_Lawyers__Updated_09_Oct_2013_.pdf

(page 17 to 19)

Guess they are good for all English language documents.

Otherwise - as already - search your embassy website (if you are not a UK citizen).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I have used Bangkok Translations a few times. Thai to English.

The price is right, the product is good and correct.

From personal experience I recommend them.

888.1st floor Unit 13, Mathatun Plaza Building, Ploenchit Road Lumpini,

Ph: 0898846482

That is their address, but just get off the BTS at Ploenchit on the left side heading to siam and they are in an office on the right side of plaza.

Companies there charge between 500-700 baht per page. This looks to me a bit high. Half an hour per page is way more than it should take, charging 1,000 - 1,400 baht per hour is high in my eyes.

Its the price.

Sorry to say.

Even here in an upcountry district town a translator wants 500 for a page.

Translation Thai - German of a housebook main page plus entry of my wife.

A job of a few minutes.

600 Baht at Q-house Bangkok.

• 1 month later...