Nana Jungle - Bread

chiang mai

If you haven't discovered this place you're missing out on some of the best bread in Thailand and almost certainly one of the most unusual bread buying experiences you'll encounter. Rimping and Tops et al, eat your hearts out, you don't even begin to come close to the quality offered here.

Open on Saturday mornings only from 7:30 am for about an hour or so (everything is sold), the bakers sell a variety of breads and pastries that rival any bread you'll find in Europe or the West - my personal favorites include the sourdough, the olive bread and the blue cheese quiche. Located in Suan Phai Lom Village on Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Centre Road, the selling area is nothing more than a few tables in the centre of a clearing in the middle of jungle.

The place is getting popular so be aware aware the queues are getting longer and they begin forming earlier, the queue started this morning at 6:30 am and an hour later it was over seventy people long - just to give you an idea of the scale, their stock comprises a couple of hundred loaves of bread and several hundred other items, all of which get sold every week.

You'll have to wake up earlier than usual perhaps but it's well worth the effort. Google the key words mentioned here for detailed map and reviews.

BTW I'm not connected with the business, I just happen to love good quality fresh bread and wanted to share.

Agree with cm on the quality. As good as bread in Europe. Quiche is good too, croissants, etc. We went again recently and got there at 7:40 and was already too late. There were at least 70 in the queue - probably more. When we got to the front, there was literally one loaf of bread left and one slice of pizza! That's it. I'm not a morning person. Going anywhere at 7:30 is difficult for me. I won't be in a queue at 06:30, no way.

FYI, now we just go to their bakery. Prices are exactly the same and there are even many more choices. I have their card here somewhere if anyone wants the address. It's fairly easy to get to. The address is Nong Hoi, but I don't think it's actually in Nong Hoi. Good bakery! Owner is a very nice lady.

Edited by elektrified

Not to sound too dense but why do people go stand in line at 06:30 "in the centre in a clearing in the middle of the jungle" if they can simply go to one their stores instead?

Er... perhaps because they have never heard of the shop(s) before but they have heard much positive praise (via social media/networking) of some unique, high quality bread buying experience in the middle of a jungle, aka, a marketing strategy on the part of the baker that has paid dividends!

Not to sound too dense but why do people go stand in line at 06:30 "in the centre in a clearing in the middle of the jungle" if they can simply go to one their stores instead?

Er... perhaps because they have never heard of the shop(s) before but they have heard much positive praise (via social media/networking) of some unique, high quality bread buying experience in the middle of a jungle, aka, a marketing strategy on the part of the baker that has paid dividends!

You mean sort of like what you're doing here with this thread? thumbsup.gif

Edited by TheAppletons

I give up, I thought you knew. laugh.png

Honestly, have been going there for some time because it's convenient and fairly close to where I live so I had never bothered to ask. This morning however I did ask an American who was next to me in the queue if these guys had a shop in town and he said, "yes" and turned away, another rather more helpful individual explained there is a second shop near the Convention Centre or so, kick off time prevented me from inquiring further but Post Number 2 hints at the location of the first bakery.

You mean sort of like what you're doing here with this thread? thumbsup.gif

"BTW I'm not connected with the business, I just happen to love good quality fresh bread and wanted to share".

Plus, I have no idea where their shops are,

Nor do I know anyone in or even remotely connected to their business!

GOT IT NOW FW?

I've heard about this place for a long time and a friend even brought me a croissant which was very good. However, it is just not convenient for me and the shop that is not too far from The Holiday Inn sounded impossible to find.

It's called Nana Bakery and the one at Nong Hoi is just on the way into Ban Siriwattana on the left hand side. See my map - it's the 7th entry down on the index.

Almost everything they do is good but I favour the croissants and pork lasagne (although not at the same meal).

It's called Nana Bakery and the one at Nong Hoi is just on the way into Ban Siriwattana on the left hand side. See my map - it's the 7th entry down on the index.

Almost everything they do is good but I favour the croissants and pork lasagne (although not at the same meal).

Regular shop hours, or does one have to partake in a "social media induced" mass hysteria event at the crack of dawn?

Edited by MESmith

Perhaps worth adding that the 7:00am get together is just that for many people, a weekly social occasion. The bakery serves free coffee and a number of other food and non food related stalls have emerged over past months, lots of people seem to know each other, Thai and foreigners. The bread buying is simply Part I, Part II, the social interaction, follows soon thereafter and I sense this is the main act for many attendees.

For the benefit of those with learning disabilities, comprehension issues or other potential psychiatric maladies, the "key words" might include:

Nana Jungle Bread Chiang Mai.

It's marked on Google Earth map.

The guy with the Italian food has some great food lines, ravioli, lasagne, in containers reader to heat 'n eat or freeze.

Thanks. Your map is brilliant.

T

Perhaps worth adding that the 7:00am get together is just that for many people, a weekly social occasion. The bakery serves free coffee and a number of other food and non food related stalls have emerged over past months, lots of people seem to know each other, Thai and foreigners. The bread buying is simply Part I, Part II, the social interaction, follows soon thereafter and I sense this is the main act for many attendees.

Right. It's merely a social interaction for "early birds". Free coffee as stated. They sell herbal drinks, mushroom and other home-made soups, grilled hot dogs/sausages, etc. (But the sausages sell out in about 30 min.) Most people seem to know each other - or know someone.

But indeed, the bakers run one of the better bakeries here IMO. I haven't looked around for the card but Greenside has it on his map. They are open during regular business hours.

I've been there several times- if you're in the queue when they open, you're sure to have a good selection of bread, croissants, muffins, etc- the pizza tends to go early, but there are enough of the staples to satisfy everyone who shows up on time (just don't get too upset by a bit of pushing and shoving- the middle-aged Thai ladies are some of the worst). If you roll in at 8:30am and it's slim pickings, well, you were warned.;)

Edited by flare

Get up really early, travel across town, join a big queue and there may or may not be any bread or sausage rolls when you get to the front. Sounds brilliant.

McDonalds was invented for people like you.

Going west on Huay Kaew Road cross over Canal Road and on on your right is a 7/11. Make a U-turn and come back to the 7/11 and then make a left on the Soi that boarders the 7/11. There is a "Nana" Bakery on this Soi on the left about a kilometer or so up the Soi. It is very small and hard to find. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much. The best bread I've ever had in CM.

I've been passing on Mahidol Rd. every weekday for years (after sending the children to school); and had no idea, there was a bakery there.

Better late than never.