Your favourite buildings in Thailand?

fish fingers

Some of the big suspension bridges on the tollway going out of bangkok down to Hua Hin, the one with the 3 headed elephant statue close by

Edited by kannot

There used to be an abandoned wooden mansion set back from the corner of Petchabury and Ratchathewee Rd's. .It still had beautiful, traditional shutters and carved doors. I really wanted to photograph it.

Of course, I waited too long.

Gone when I finally got there with my gear, soon to be yet another a condo location.

There is another old property, also on Petchabury Rd, on the side opposite Pantip Plaza near the First Hotel. There are signs on the property walls telling would be developers to stay away...not interested in selling. One wonders how long they can hold out.

There used to be an abandoned wooden mansion set back from the corner of Petchabury and Ratchathewee Rd's. .It still had beautiful, traditional shutters and carved doors. I really wanted to photograph it.

Of course, I waited too long.

Gone when I finally got there with my gear, soon to be yet another a condo location.

There is another old property, also on Petchabury Rd, on the side opposite Pantip Plaza near the First Hotel. There are signs on the property walls telling would be developers to stay away...not interested in selling. One wonders how long they can hold out.

Until Granny dies and the kids cash in.

That is what I'd do.

I believe the robot building's days are numbered; it is not an efficient use of the site, and the area is so prime that several developers are looking at the site to tear it down and redevelop....so if you like it...then take pictures of it sooner rather than later.

I like the Elephant building a lot, terrible location for it, but quite cool nonetheless. Always thought it would be cool to squirt brown water out the window in the back and take a pic :-)

Of the modern buildings, I think Central Embassy is incredibly overrated and really a scrubbed up fancy turd (even is the shape of a turd) with a slick façade that doesn't work at all in that location (it has no real connection to the street or its environment, and fails completely to understand how Bangkokians view that plot from the street level or BTS). Pano on Rama 3 is a lovely building though.

Too early to comment on most of the rest, but MahaNakhon appears to be the real deal in a World War Z/blade runner sort of a way, while Four Seasons is also a stunning building as is Marque. Really not so impressed with EMquartier in many ways, but the helix Omatosando 'homage' (aka rip off) is quite cool, and the highline 'homage' (aka rip off) to the BTS is pretty awesome; the very cool thing is the garden on the 7th floor; the overall form of the building, well better than nothing, not exactly an amazing building but good nonetheless. The River is a pretty impressive sight at night, as is the Circle Prototype on Petchburi (at night anyhow).

I really like the little house at Asia Teaque near the ferris wheel; it is direlect, but in a city where everything old gets torn down and made new, the opportunity to see such a prime location still with an original shack....it is pretty cool to me.

Some of the big suspension bridges on the tollway going out of bangkok down to Hua Hin, the one with the 3 headed elephant statue close by

I like the back story to the 3 headed elephant.

Yes drive over that bridge heading for Dao Kanong everytime I drive down to Chaam.

I'm gutted that the Thai system doesn't protect these historic houses. They will last as long as the owners will live, sadly. Their kids will sell the next day.

The other 'post modern' building I really liked in Bangkok was the Rex Hotel on Sukhumvit Rd near Thonglor. The 'Coffee Hall' was fun and that was where I ended up on my first date with a thai girl. Completely gutted that its gone now.

4379-1288430760gvy3bjdt9.jpg041100271_01.jpg

rex-hotel.jpg

Edited by fish fingers

I've always been fascinated by the old Customs House near the Chao Phraya. Obviously run down and abandoned, but it seemed evocative of times past. I hope it will eventually be preserved and restored.

01a2.jpg

old-customs-house.jpg

44019.jpg

faded-facade.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

The Vimanmek Museum - reportedly the largest teak building in the world. Built by Rama V in the early19000s as a temporary residence. Its furnished as it was when he and his family lived there.

Sukothai Hotel in Sathorn Road - superb inside.

Wat Arun - unique!

Edited by bra

Phi Mai historical complex, Wat Chedi Luang, and Wat Arun. And then for fun, Wat Maeta-Krai at the end of highway 1229 in Northern Thailand.

Edited by connda

Elephant Tower, Chatuchak District, BKK:

Interesting personal anecdote about this building: some years back I was looking for a venue to set up an adrenaline challenge for one of our more gung-ho corporate groups. I approached management of the Elephant Tower about setting up a couple of (horizontal) 2-Line Bridges between both sets of legs of the Elephant. They were actually keen on the idea but unfortunately had renovations and a major window cleaning job scheduled during our requested time period so had to decline.

I then approached the management of several skyscrapers to see if they'd let us set up an abseil (rappel) down the side of their bldg. Everyone declined but finally I called the Jewelry Trade Center (3rd tallest building in Thailand @ ~221 m / 58 fl) -- after a meeting and cool rooftop recce, kinda surprisingly the building manager agreed (probably was keen on making some pocket money:). However, just 2 days before the scheduled event the building's Board of Directors (who somehow previously didn't know anything about said plans), heard wind of it and cancelled the event due to 'safety & liability concerns' -- despite the fact that our set-up & rigging would have been 10 times safer than the dubious looking system their window washers regularly used...

Anyway we ended up taking the group canyoning at a 9-tier waterfall in Nakhon Naiyok, which besides being harder physically and technically, is actually more dangerous than abseiling down a skyscraper (no mishaps thankfully though).

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt

This very large temple complex is 50km north of Chiang Mai.

Wat Ban Den -- always changing, always getting bigger and more impressive. It is a place I have to return to 2 or 3 times a year as the photo ops (for me) just get better and better.

post-51749-0-60759700-1436841634_thumb.j

post-51749-0-81183400-1436841649_thumb.j

post-51749-0-15081000-1436841663_thumb.j

post-51749-0-58685800-1436841679_thumb.j

My house , this is just the kitchen out the back. But it is home and that is where the heart is. Corny I know but just back from my local pub and my wife thinks that is my home !

By the number of bottles in the pic....looks like this IS the pub!!thumbsup.gif