Letter of residence - changes?

I have just been to Jomtien immigration for a letter of residence for opening a new bank account, I am presently on a visa on arrival and immigration said that I need to get a tourist visa in order to get the letter. I may be wrong but I am sure I have had the letters before for cars and bikes with a voa, has the ruling changed or is it something specific to opening a bank account and if that is the case putting down the use for getting a driving licence might be an option, any advice gratefully received...

The OP should probably consult the banking forum. The topic of opening a bank account with a visa-exempt entry has been covered there. It's possible to do, without a certificate of residency. Just ask at another branch bank. For example, the Kad Suan Kaew branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai will open one with a letter from your guest house or rental agreement listing your address and someone known to them vouching for you.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

I have just been to Jomtien immigration

Ask Kasikorn (Royal Garden on Pattaya beach road).

Give them some hotel name as address.

Maybe it will work at other K. branches like in Jomtien too.

I had a friend just open a Bangkok Bank account last week without one. He had a fresh one year extension (ret.) but no residence certificate.

He did go to immigration a few days later and got two of them for getting car and motorcycle licenses. It cost 500 Baht (for two) and was done in 20 minutes.

Last year I took someone here on a 30 day visa exempt entry to my Thanachart branch on 2nd Road. They wouldn't open an account for him and said they required a longer stay visa.

Edited by Smokin Joe

I got both car and motorbike licenses in Chiang Mai with just one current residency certificate and a copy. The certificate was 500 baht, but had to return the next day to pick it up. It's free if you're willing to wait a month.