Conversion of a Tourist visa into a NON Immigrant O Visa

Is the conversion of a Tourist visa into a NON Immigrant O Visa still available? This Morning a friend of mine, here on tourist visa, went to Sakhon Nakhon and the officer said that he has to go to Vientiane to get a Non Immigrant coz they no longer do that... is it correct or he just ran into an officer that is not well informed?

Thanks.

Vientiane would certainly be best. He will just need to show the financial proof for an extension based upon retirement which I assume is what he wants. If using money in the bank it only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

It can be done in Bangkok but it takes 2 trips 15 day apart to get it.

I don't think Sakhon Nakhon has done it for a long time if ever.

• Like 1

Anybody knows if he can get a Non Immigrant OA instead of a Non Immigrant O in Vientiane?

A OA visa can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

He will get a single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

Anybody knows if he can get a Non Immigrant OA instead of a Non Immigrant O in Vientiane?

A OA visa can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

He will get a single entry non-o visa.

I suspected so, thanks a lot for your help :)

Interesting. I went to Immigration in Chonburi just this morning and they WILL convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O-A but the price will be double the usual 1900 baht. I have to go back because I lacked some sort of document that only the woman who sub-lets my condo can provide. My landlord told me the woman would be back in country on Thursday. My income affidavit letter from the US Embassy is only good until Friday, then I will have to go to Chang Wattana and pay another fifty bucks for another one. I got my letter at the outreach here in Pattaya last Friday. I'm expecting SOMETHING to throw a monkey wrench into the works. I wish I had known I was subletting at the time I paid the deposit and two months rent. Subletting means that your rent receipt will not be sufficient to get your tourist visa converted.

It won't be an O-A that it will be converted to.

The income letter is good for 6 months, not just a week.

What are you expecting to get at Chang Wattana for $50.00? It certainly won't be an income letter from your embassy.

Interesting. I went to Immigration in Chonburi just this morning and they WILL convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O-A but the price will be double the usual 1900 baht. I have to go back because I lacked some sort of document that only the woman who sub-lets my condo can provide. My landlord told me the woman would be back in country on Thursday. My income affidavit letter from the US Embassy is only good until Friday, then I will have to go to Chang Wattana and pay another fifty bucks for another one. I got my letter at the outreach here in Pattaya last Friday. I'm expecting SOMETHING to throw a monkey wrench into the works. I wish I had known I was subletting at the time I paid the deposit and two months rent. Subletting means that your rent receipt will not be sufficient to get your tourist visa converted.

Not all immigration offices can accept an application for a conversion to a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for an extension for stay bawd upon retirement.

What you are doing is first applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry pay a 2000 baht fee for it then application will be sent to Bangkok for approval and then 15 to 20 day later you will get go back and get visa/entry stamp. After that you can apply an extension of stay based upon retirement for a fee of 1900 baht.

A OA visa can only applied for at an embassy in you home country and the fee would be 5000 baht.

Why do you think you income affidavit is only good until Friday. Immigration will accept one that is up to 6 months old

This was the fee that was quoted to me by an Embassy official. I said Chang Wattana but meant the Embassy. The income letter is good for ONE WEEK. That is also what I was advised. It would make SENSE if the income letter was good for six months but I do not expect logic in Asia. I just do what they tell me. HOWEVER......I hope you are right and I was given the wrong information. That would certainly make the process less stressful. smile.png

It won't be an O-A that it will be converted to.

The income letter is good for 6 months, not just a week.

What are you expecting to get at Chang Wattana for $50.00? It certainly won't be an income letter from your embassy.

Edited by Jools

Perhaps somebody confused a letter from the bank with proof of income. Those are good for a week or much less.

I did my extension last year with an affidavit that was about 4 months old. The 6 months is correct.