Dress Like A Professional

GuestHouse

I was reminded this morning of a converstation I once had with a Thai girlfriend and of the importance of image.

One of my Thai colleagues expressed a rather damning opinion about ANOther member of the team she is working with. When I pointed out his many good points, she commented 'but he doesn't dress like a professional'. (He actually dresses very well but never wear a tie and is probably a bit more broadminded when it comes to the colours of his shirts than most)

I was at once transported back in time to a converstation I once had with a Thai girlfriend, when I went to pick her up one day for a trip to Bangkok, she suggested I might want to change my clothes before we went.

'Change what and why?' - It was getting to the end of our relationship and I was becoming ever more tired of her sh1t.

She responded 'You might dress more like a professional'.

So I asked 'But since I am a professional, isn't the way I am dressed - like a professional - how could it be otherwise?'

I should add, I wear suits and ties to the office, but s0d that for weekends.

Of course, this is another one of those rules that can be used to our (farang) favour. A suit and Tie opens doors in ways you have to see to believe, and I've always mainted that a well pressed suit, white shirt and tie is to the eye of a Thai woman what a mini skirt and 3" heels is to the eye of your average red blooded man.

Edited by GuestHouse

I prefer the Richard Branson Aproach, if they dont like the way you look dont do business with them, it is a very weak character who has to dress to impress, people should be impressed with you and what you have to say and offer not you clothes.

(within reason of course)

Edited by fourbaht

If I want to make a good impression, I will dress appropriately as I am not rich enough (yet) like Branson to not care! This applies more in Asian countries than the west - but it is so flippin hot it takes a lot of effort to stay looking good.

If there is an advantage to be gained from playing up to a stereotype of success, then you should use it.

Naaaaaa....

I do not like wearing a suit,tie and so I hardly do.

Still I am invited to have bussines meetings with all kind of GM's Toyota, Ford, Honda and recently

been to the Hyundai factory and talked with management team there as well.

(yes I do have follow up meetings as well)

I am not rich or look handsome just dress casual but make sure my clothes are clean and

not look too old.

I know my boss does not really like it that I refuse (in most cases) to wear a tie.

But when he told me I had to do it I replied to him that if he can explain the functional value

of wearing a tie to me I would be more then willing to wear one or perhaps even two :o

Alex

Different culture for sure. I mean, you could find tons of rich millionaires in the states (don't know about europe, etc) that wear kakis, tshirts and couldn't care less about their appearance, haircuts, etc.

But, those in Thailand are definetly rare. I had talks to that effect with my wife, and she told me only a rich fool will dress inappropriately. (appropriately probably means "to his status".)

I'm interested to know how "professional" translates for farang females. I'll be working in an office, supervising a staff, in a creative/media environment. For the past 7 years I've been a grubby freelancer with the exception of a few nice "Manhattan" outfits.

I want to make a good impression in my company but God do I dread wearing "dress" clothes.

My fiancee's dad is rich like hel_l as he is a huge property deveopler and he hardly ever wears a suit. Only on special occasions.

Glad to know they exist in Thailand too then.

They're everywhere.

You just don't notice them because they don't have to wear a suit and Thai to impress.

They don't need to impress anyone anyway.

The richer I become, the less I need to wear suits. I wear what I want to wear. But I see how others respond differently when I wear a suit or jacket.

I see suits and I think of expense-account businessmen who are sweating their nuggets off but must still wear the costume.

Other people here see suits and think "Look! It's superman! Give him what he wants"

Whatever. I know what's up.

If the paying customer wears a suite and tie, so should the salesman.

The first day I opened my biz in Bangkok my staff come in wearing a suite and tie, when I told them it wasn’t necessary as we don’t have clients come into the office they were well chuffed.

I agree.. in business you should emulate the dress code of your clients.

However, just be sure you don't display more wealth than your boss. They might be tempted to think you're making too much and not working hard enough.

i think most people are looking at the issue the wrong way.

in thailand, you dress up to show respect to the person you are meeting, not the other way around where you are seeking to impress people. once you understand this you will understand why you are expected to suit up for important meetings.

its not about you, its about respecting your counterpart, and showing that you hold her/him to esteem.

westerners who carry the me me me mentality will obviously not appreciate this subtlety.

i admit that i have learnt along the way all the additional nuances in dress code. for example, if meeting consultants (ie people whom i pay) i will wear a tie and the full suit only if meeting their ceo for the first time. if meeting a business partner or counterpart, always wear the full suit for the first meeting. how you dress in subsequent meetings will depend on the relationship established and culture of the counterpart. if meeting outside of an office environment or outdoors, wear a suit jacket with no tie. this allows you to quickly remove jacket to fit into environment without too much fuss.

its all about protocol and grace. you will be more respected if you show that you have some basic sense of these courtesies.

My ex-gf asked me that "if I'm so loaded, why did I wear such shoddy clothes?"

So to her, me wearing casual outfits and blending in with the locals seemed like the wrong thing to do.

Showing wealth and status through dressing up might make her look better too?

My own explanation is that I don't want to look like a pile of money, ready to be picked and ripped off.

If the paying customer wears a suite and tie, so should the salesman.

The first day I opened my biz in Bangkok my staff come in wearing a suite and tie, when I told them it wasn’t necessary as we don’t have clients come into the office they were well chuffed.

I agree.. in business you should emulate the dress code of your clients.

However, just be sure you don't display more wealth than your boss. They might be tempted to think you're making too much and not working hard enough.

I own a short time hotel, any one got a thong and some high heels I can borrow for work tomorow?

Guest house is right. Certainly that has been my experience, whether I like it or not. I am a firm believer in, 'never judge a book by its cover', that it should be the person inside the clothes that is important - within reason - but in Thailand it is all about tinsel, no matter how superficial it may be. With some of my Thai friends, they adopt the same attitude, and it is so conditioned into them. Somebody that is well dressd and well groomed is treated with more respect and status, in my experience. And that definately is the case with Thai women, even if they don't know the first thing about you. This is what's irritating. You could be a complete lunatic, but it wouldn't matter, at first, as long as you are have well dressed appearance.

Have to agree,

First impressions are everything.

Punctuality and appearance, you've heard the old sayings before,

"Punctuality isn't about time, it's about attitude",

"It's harder trying to create a good first impression, the second time around",

I always wear a shirt and tie when traveling, it can mean the difference in being pulled out of line for a random search, getting an upgrade, and this point I've seem many times, showing up at a hotel with limited vacancy, the shirt and tie gets a room, and no-vacancy for Mr flip flops and shorts.

The old rule of thumb, dress appropriately says it all. :o

I have a bunch of nice tailor made suites, blacks, grays, various earth tones and creams. I love them I love wearing them I love how I look in them and I walk, talk and act like it shows. It really dose make a difference and open up doors. And not too mention, just as one poster commented on earlier, a well dressed man (and by well dressed I mean classically so, not this trashy nuvo fashion) really turns on most Thai women.

I look good in whatever I wear. Even when im not wearing anything :D

As ever Donz gives us all a good laugh! :o

On a serious note, in business I always dress as the occasion requires. When in doubt I'll over dress rather than underdress. When I uderstand the client and their 'culture' I'll wear what they do, ie, smart casual if that's what they do or full suit and ties if that's what they do. I never do business in Thailand. If I start doing so, I'll have to think differently.

Edited by suegha

Somebody that is well dressd and well groomed is treated with more respect and status, in my experience. And that definately is the case with Thai women, even if they don't know the first thing about you. This is what's irritating. You could be a complete lunatic, but it wouldn't matter, at first, as long as you are have well dressed appearance.

It's not hard to work out.

A good visual first impression makes a big difference. Thr second step is when that person opens their mouth.

Then you can tell class.

I don't live in Thailand and up to now there've been few occasions where I've ever had to wear a suit there, so please tell me how DO you cope with a suit in that climate?

Even tropical weight suits are, in my opinion, just way too much fabric to be wearing in hot season temperatures of 38 degrees. I mean, it's OK when you're in an air conditioned office, but the minute you'd go outside, even for a few minutes, you'd be drenched, wouldn't you?

The classic lounge suit which became the present-day business suit, was designed to keep men warm in drafty 19th century English offices during the winter. Plenty of layers of wool and cotton, tight on the body. Necktie closed tight to keep the throat covered.

I find it just absurd that people are wearing this costume in the tropics. Think how much energy could be saved in air conditioning if everybody wore something nice and loose and airy to the office in keeping with the climate. I think it's a shame that the Thais, who do have a climate-appropriate national dress, have adopted the western business suit as a sign of prestige and authority.