Dress Like A Professional

GuestHouse

I find it just absurd that people are wearing this costume in the tropics. Think how much energy could be saved in air conditioning if everybody wore something nice and loose and airy to the office in keeping with the climate. I think it's a shame that the Thais, who do have a climate-appropriate national dress, have adopted the western business suit as a sign of prestige and authority.

We should really all walk around topless in Siam, like back in the day.

I'm all for it. Anyone oppose?

The second step is when that person opens their mouth.

Then you can tell class.

Could you elaborate? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this (fascinating subject, yet little talked-about!). Don't worry - I'm not baiting you to be able to attack you later - that's not my style - I honestly want to learn more about class and how people can tell another's class.

I find it just absurd that people are wearing this costume in the tropics. Think how much energy could be saved in air conditioning if everybody wore something nice and loose and airy to the office in keeping with the climate. I think it's a shame that the Thais, who do have a climate-appropriate national dress, have adopted the western business suit as a sign of prestige and authority.

We should really all walk around topless in Siam, like back in the day.

I'm all for it. Anyone oppose?

I'm from a time and place that didn't teach me that a suit was a status symbol. My environment taught me that the suit is worn by a kind of blue collar class - the working slave class - and that if you are truly wealthy and command employees, you can chose your own attire. The dot com entrepreneurs were rich enough to NOT wear a suit.

It seems to me that after a society has spent some time with affluence, people are no longer scrambling for food, or shelter, or transportation. Then we find ourselves scrambling for signals to show status. And then we find that the symbols themself are a kind of yoke, that we became enslaved by. It seems to me that true material success is being free from the need for these symbols. What makes us happy? Good food, good company, a nice environment, freedom from want or fear.

A suit and a pen, to me, is not a status symbol I want to show. I wouldn't want to attract someone attracted to it.

If you are trying to make money from someone you dress accordingly (whether this be a suit or a thong!)

If someone is trying to make money from you, you can dress however you want to. I prefer casual / semi tramp - cos it saves time in finding out who is capable of understanding something that is more than superficial.

"At work" amongst equals, bosses and staff I always look scruffy in a cheap suit, which I only wear cos it makes choosing clothes in the morning easy. Besides, even in a £2000 suit I would still not look corporate, so I don't even try, in fact I find it helps when I don't cos the smart folk realise that if I can get away with looking like a tramp in a suit that their must be a reason, and the dumb ones who don't realise this don't matter..........cos they generally don't sign the cheques!

All IMO of course and in UK Farangland. Thailand? I would never even bother trying to work here. Why? too much work for too little "real" money in "my" field. Not meant to be rude, it's just business.