'No request for extradition' of Thai nationals from France

webfact

'No request for extradition' of Thai nationals from France
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- There was no request for an extradition from France of three Thai nationals accused of violating the lese majeste law, French Ambassador to Thailand Thierry Viteau told The Nation.

Speaking during the celebration of Bastille Day on Tuesday night, he said Justice Minister Paiboon Khumchaya had made no request for extradition of the Thais during their meeting on Monday.

"The atmosphere during the meeting was cordial," Viteau said about his meeting with Paiboon on Monday.

The issue of the alleged lese majeste offenders, who have taken refuge in France, was broached earlier when Viteau visited Paiboon to discuss some general administrative issues. Paiboon had raised the issue with the ambassador and explained to him the case of the three persons who are accused of violating Article 112, a source from the French Embassy said. The identities of the three Thais were not revealed by either side.

"In France, we don't have Article 112," the French ambassador said, referring to Article 112 of the Thai Criminal Code or lese majeste law.

A source said the French Embassy in Bangkok had no prior knowledge as to when the three Thai nationals had sought political asylum in France, as they had contacted the French Embassy in a neighbouring country.

In his statement on the occasion of the France's national-day reception on Tuesday evening at a hotel in Bangkok, Ambassador Viteau wished for the return of peace, democracy, the rule of law and reconciliation to Thai society.

Good wishes before leaving

"This will be the last celebration of national day for me [in Thailand], as I will be leaving in the next few months to take up other responsibilities in Paris … Before I leave, I wish Thai society a speedy return to peace, democracy and the rule of law, including [accompanied] values and institutions," Viteau told the guests at the reception.

He then invited all the guests to raise a toast in honour of His Majesty the King and to French President Francois Hollande.

Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula attended the event from the government side. Former deputy prime minister Phongthep Thepkanjana and former education minister Chaturon Chaisang from the Pheu Thai Party were also present.

Red shirt co-leaders Thida Thavornseth and Weng Tojirakarn, law expert Ekachai Chainuvati and Sunai Phasuk from Human Rights Watch also joined the reception.

Among foreign diplomats, German Ambassador to Thailand Rolf Schulze and the US charge d'affaires, Patrick Murphy, were present.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-request-for-extradition-of-Thai-nationals-from--30264536.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-16

No request for extradition, well as I understand it France and LoS doesn't have an extradition treaty to start with and in addition where treaties are in place many countries will not extradite for ' crimes ' that are not on their statute books.

Does Thailand think that it's such a player on the world stage that a note to France will generate the response they want ?

No request for extradition, well as I understand it France and LoS doesn't have an extradition treaty to start with and in addition where treaties are in place many countries will not extradite for ' crimes ' that are not on their statute books.

Does Thailand think that it's such a player on the world stage that a note to France will generate the response they want ?

No, this was all for the "sheeple" at home that believe all they are told, regardless of how true or how much sense it makes.

I think it was wise that on the celebration of Bastille Day Justice Minister Paiboon Khumchaya made no request for extradition of the Thais over a lese majeste law violation during their meeting. After all Bastille Day is the celebration of French independence, you know the time when they took control of the government away from the monarchy, executed the king and queen as well as most of the noble families in France.

Great! Now the rest of the world understands this was just some kind of newsletter with greetings from "Amazing Thailand".

I wonder it the list starts with: Dear Thailand lover, this is just a friendly reminder FYI. To unsubscribe please click here

Edited by Lupatria

Well, if Thailand would order 3 submarines from France at the list price, they would send them....