Need help with USA Plasma TV

marmaduke

Being US model it may also have electric issues - is it perhaps 60hz only? Could be some electronics are taking there clue from the power freq and messing things up? If specs state 50/60hz then that should not be the issue.

What are you trying to convert?

Are you using component or HDMI?

Added: I found I could just plug in media players and the like, but the only time I could get Satellite to play was converting HDMI to Component out, which defeats the object.

Edited by Chicog

The transformer and the converter are separate issues.

Have you tried all component from source to TV via a converter?

Added: can you set the source to NTSC?

Edited by Chicog

Just for grins, do you have the "manual"? I assume you do but jus in case here's the pdf file for it. Notice on page 136 it says:

AC 110-230V±10%, 60H so maybe you do not need a converter but look at the label very carefully. Also does not indicate 50 hz. As someone indicated that may be your problem.

Not sure if the file attached.....

Edited by Mrjlh

Just for grins, do you have the "manual"? I assume you do but jus in case here's the pdf file for it. Notice on page 136 it says:

AC 110-230V±10%, 60H so maybe you do not need a converter but look at the label very carefully. Also does not indicate 50 hz. As someone indicated that may be your problem.

Not sure if the file attached.....

post-91150-0-48114800-1437029898_thumb.j This is the converter I have, does not say 50hz, no markings but Amazon says it supports 60hz.

Don't have the manual.

Can you playback anything on your TV? From USB/Computer or anything? Can you see any display? TV sets have built in picture for set up and testing - can you even see that? From first post it appears you are not having any luck.

If your TV is imported from America ( and assuming it isn't a multi-standard tv )

it uses the NTSC system why are you converting signals to PAL which it will not understand ?

If you also imported you DVD,games console or whatever they would also be NTSC so no need to convert just plug straight in.

If you want to plug in DVD, games console, sat receiver etc bought in Thailand you would need a PAL to NTSC converter

If your TV is multi-standard PAL, NTSC ,SECAM then you won't need a converter.

If your TV is imported from America ( and assuming it isn't a multi-standard tv )

it uses the NTSC system why are you converting signals to PAL which it will not understand ?

If you also imported you DVD,games console or whatever they would also be NTSC so no need to convert just plug straight in.

If you want to plug in DVD, games console, sat receiver etc bought in Thailand you would need a PAL to NTSC converter

If your TV is multi-standard PAL, NTSC ,SECAM then you won't need a converter.

Looking at the spec it is NTSC only.

The TV is NTSC and ATSC and not multi standard. It can't just be a flip of a switch or we would have it set up already.

If TV won't understand a PAL conversion and Thailand uses PAL , then how can this be done.?

The TV is NTSC and ATSC and not multi standard. It can't just be a flip of a switch or we would have it set up already.

If TV won't understand a PAL conversion and Thailand uses PAL , then how can this be done.?

You need one /several PAL to NTSC converters, the converter you have at the moment is NTSC to PAL ( ie back to front )

Also as it has a ATSC tuner ( the American Digital TV system ) it will not receive Digital terrestrial TV in Thailand

( no English language channels anyway ) but may well work on a cable system.

Your TV only understands NTSC all appliances sold in Thailand are PAL

the converter you have is NTSC to PAL that wont work as the output is PAL not NTSC which your tv understands.

You need one that does the conversion the other way from PAL which comes from say the DVD player and converts it to NTSC for your TV to display.

It might work on truevisions cable network.

Chicog said he couldn't get his to work with a satellite box using HDMI but it did work using a converter box HDMI -> Component RGB ?

( whats wrong with component anyway ? )

Edited by johng

Theoretically if you are connecting thru hdmi, NTSC/PAL shouldn't be an issue as the HDMI specification can handle both 50/60 framerate and output from True HD box should be at either 720p or 1080i, so the resolution is pretty standard and modern TV should be able to handle these okay, maybe PAL resolution of 576 throws the TV off?

Did you try connecting local DVD players and see if it'll work?

Bringing a Plasma big screen TV from the US/Canada. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wrong in so many ways...

Plasma screen (history)

TV standard (NTSC input only)

Input Voltage (110-230v AC, 60 Hz)

Expensive shipping to Thailand (with possible Import duties)

The True box usually isn't switchable. (PAL output only) Along with almost all devices sold here.

If you brought other devices they probably aren't compatible with the input voltage/frequency.

You would've been better off selling in US/Canada and buying a new one in Thailand!

OP, your Aviator is so fitting! cheesy.gif

Edited by BB1950

Bringing a Plasma big screen TV from the US/Canada. cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif

Wrong in so many ways...

Plasma screen (history)

TV standard (NTSC input only)

Input Voltage (110-230v AC, 60 Hz)

Expensive shipping to Thailand (with possible Import duties)

The True box usually isn't switchable. (PAL output only) Along with almost all devices sold here.

If you brought other devices they probably aren't compatible with the input voltage/frequency.

You would've been better off selling in US/Canada and buying a new one in Thailand!

OP, your Aviator is so fitting! cheesy.gif

BB, Ha Ha Ha you sound like my wife. Had the plasma in NYC it was awesome.....Brought the Plasma over in a container with many other items.

I was looking for help not a critic Although, you do sound somewhat knowledgeable..I will try JohnG sugestion Any further help is much appreciated.

Edited by Rimmer