Would a 6-month lease renewal result in the loss of my retirement status?

This is my second question for the week. Thanks for your patience.

I plan to leave the country next month for two months. Upon my return in October, I'll renew my lease for six months instead of one year, because I plan to leave next year for three to six months. (As it is, I will be paying high rent for an apartment that will be unoccupied for two months!) The landlady has already agreed to renew for only six months. I may or may not actually leave after six months, so I want to keep the retirement status; however, I don't want to be hemmed in and prevented from living my life because of a lease (loss of a hefty two months security deposit).

When I need to renew the visa in December,

- When Immigration sees the six month lease, would they automatically go, "no dice", and put me back in visitor status?

- If that is the case, does that mean that I would be granted just 90 days with the option of a one month extension at the end of the 90 days? (meaning I would still have to break my lease and leave after four months instead of six?)

- Is there any way around this potential problem, i.e, walking out of there in December with a renewed retirement status stamp?

Just thinking ahead.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-

You worry too much, there is nothing thatsays you have to have a 12 months lease. Just be sure you have a re-entry permit before leaving. I used a month to month lease for years no problem here in Chiang Mai.

Hmmm... these responses make me hopeful. I kind of think Immigration may be tougher in Bangkok though.

I am hoping more people respond. I have a bit of time, obviously, but I want to know how I need to maneuver when it is time to renew my lease. I am wondering if moe666's comment about the re-entry permit is the key. I do have one now and plan to always have one (multiple, in fact). I spoke to my landlady, who agreed to renew for 6 months but won't go month to month. Here in BKK, I've asked around and was told that as a new tenant, all buildings require one year's commitment for the firs year, so it makes no sense to try to go elsewhere.

I may just have to ask them directly next time I report. Hopefully I get someone who is human enough to answer a simple question.

Thanks for your input.