Fatal accident on the 118 highway involving foreigner

maanoi

I drove past the scene not long after it happend earlier today.

Just past the outer ring road at a u-turn opposite a market.

The vehicles (ute vs motobike) had not been removed and the deceased was still on the road. Police had arrived and were talking with a foreigner who looked distraught.

I learned later from Thai friends who heard about it on the radio that the foreigner was driving the ute and the blame was being put on him.

Was wondering if anyone knows him, or has any other news source about the accident.

Edited by maanoi

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIP. Those U-turns are are very dangerous.

Indeed.

For some reason a Thai female friend in her 20's has a fetish of posting raod death photos on her facebook page, many are caused by u-turns. Typically a pick-up doing the turn, a motorbike coming at highspeed smashing into it.

RIP.

any driving accident with a farlang,he is the blame straight away.you can not win

Now that didnt take many posts before it reared its head...

You can win if you cover all bases before you get into a vehicle on these roads. Ensure you have all the legalities squared away i.e Thai drivers license, road tax paid, green book and insurance papers etc etc etc. Plus to be extra safe have a camera mounted and recording your travels. As long as you dont break the traffic laws, should you be involved in an accident your chances of "winning" are greatly increased.

Thats not to say that initially you wont be blamed, but with the aforementioned on hand it can be easily proven that you are not at fault.

Anyways back to the OP...... any death on these roads is a wasted life. RIP

If the driver pulled out in front of the bike at a U-turn, it's a very likely due to a common issue that has to do with how drivers perceive riders. Motorcycles and scooters generally aren't seen as 'threats' (in the sense that they could cause harm) by people in cars- studies have shown that anything on two wheels is given the same respect as a bicycle when it comes to a driver turning in front of it (at a U-turn, or- in the most common cause of bike-car accidents- a car turning right in front of a bike [or left in countries where they drive on the right]).

Even as a rider of many years in Thailand and elsewhere, I still have to remind myself that an oncoming bike needs to be treated the same as a car when I'm in my car waiting at a U-turn- my first tendency is to see the road as 'clear' once there are no oncoming cars nearby, even if there are still bikes coming toward me. Drivers need to change their perspective, and it's a very difficult thing to do, especially someone from a Western country where bikes aren't nearly as common on the roads as they are here. The 'Think Bike' campaign that started in South Africa and has spread to other countries is trying to raise driver awareness, but it's a struggle.

Of course, I'm just speculating as to the possible cause, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

any driving accident with a farlang,he is the blame straight away.you can not win

BS bar talk.

I was in an accident a couple of months ago, I thought it was my fault, described what had happened and it was ruled 50/50 blame.

Read about the accident above on a Thai language news site, I don't remember a foreigner being mentioned invthe article.

Edit: the article here http://www.cmprice.com/forum/?content=detail&wb_type_id=1&topic_id=178783

No mention of a foreigner. I point thus out to show that the fact it was a foreigner (according to this thread) isn't taken to be important in the news reporting.

Edited by naboo

Looks like there was severe head trauma- maybe (probably) a better helmet (if one was worn at all) would have made a huge difference.

A lot of assumptions on your part.....obviously quite a high speed impact [look at the bumper damage] so all sorts of trauma likely IMO

A reminder to all bike riders of the inherent dangers on the roads.

Sad to see yet another motorcyclist lost.

Edited by andreandre

Looks like there was severe head trauma- maybe (probably) a better helmet (if one was worn at all) would have made a huge difference.

A lot of assumptions on your part.....obviously quite a high speed impact [look at the bumper damage] so all sorts of trauma likely IMO

Obviously it's assumption, hence my not saying 'definitely'- that doesn't change the fact that a head injury was likely the cause of death, which is usually the case when someone is intact but dead at the scene (he wasn't even brought to the hospital)- lower body injuries usually leave you a bit more time (at least to be brought to a hospital) before it's called at the site of the accident.

You don't have to wear a helmet- I don't really care what you do, and I've read some posts by you in the bike section so I know your feelings about helmets- but when I see a pic of a body with obvious signs of a head injury, that's what I'll assume was the cause of death unless I hear differently.

Edited by flare

RIP. Those U-turns are are very dangerous.

Indeed.

For some reason a Thai female friend in her 20's has a fetish of posting raod death photos on her facebook page, many are caused by u-turns. Typically a pick-up doing the turn, a motorbike coming at highspeed smashing into it.

RIP.

....and smashing into it because the pick-up obnoxiously ignored the approaching motorbike and pulled out in front of it. I have come to expect them to pull out in front of me at uturns.

Edited by OneZero

Obviously it's assumption, hence my not saying 'definitely'- that doesn't change the fact that a head injury was likely the cause of death, which is usually the case when someone is intact but dead at the scene (he wasn't even brought to the hospital)- lower body injuries usually leave you a bit more time (at least to be brought to a hospital) before it's called at the site of the accident.

You don't have to wear a helmet- I don't really care what you do, and I've read some posts by you in the bike section so I know your feelings about helmets- but when I see a pic of a body with obvious signs of a head injury, that's what I'll assume was the cause of death unless I hear differently.

what has this rave got to do with my comment? What i myself choose to do has absolutely no influence on what i said here.

Assumptions by you ; ...maybe (probably) a better helmet (if one was worn at all)... If one was worn at all??

I never said that head injury was not likely..i said that looking at the damage to the pick up, that high speed impact would have resulted in more than just head trauma also note i said In My Opinion...

Edited by andreandre

what has this rave got to do with my comment? What i myself choose to do has absolutely no influence on what i said here.

Assumptions by you ; ...maybe (probably) a better helmet (if one was worn at all)... If one was worn at all??

I read several very defensive posts about gear written by you in another section- sorry if I assumed incorrectly about your posting intent in this thread, but you have often had a problem with people who advocate wearing decent gear as the only proper way to ride (a view which I share, but wasn't advocating here- I was pointing out my observation)).

We seem to have very different definitions of 'rave'- regardless, my comment regarding helmet use in this case was likely correct, and I stand by it. If you have a issue with my speculating as to the cause (as well as the corroborating speculation of an eyewitness to the accident), well, that's your problem, not mine.

In reference to your edit (not quoted above), certainly there were likely other injuries- however, a fatality called at the scene- with the photographic evidence of a lot of blood in the head area- points to a head injury being the most likely cause of death (which is the most common cause of death among riders with inferior helmets or no helmet at all- if you talk to anyone who works with emergency medical services in Thailand, they'll confirm that). Again, it was my opinion, and I never stated it as anything more than the most likely possiblity.

Does this count as another 'rave'?

Edited by flare

Just this week I was stopped by a police block. My wife was driving, but the officer looked at me seriously..and started asking questions...until noticing that I touched our car cam.... He got very polite, smiling, and respectful...

Edited by BKResort

If the accident is the one in the link provided by Naboo, it looks like the motorbike was overtaking the pickup, which turned across to do a U-turn. Bike ended up hitting front right side of pickup, end result a tragedy... Rip another rider

Yeh the link is the same accident as I was talking about.

The U-turn and intersection on the 118 is directly infront of the Windy Equestrian Club which is on the south side of the hi way. The market is directly across the hi way on the north side. GPS 18.8439792613, 99.0744869956 This market has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and is hugely popular by Thais and foreigners, it can be a night mare at times on the 118 in the area. In the past 10 years I can thank of at least 6 killed at this U-turn. As for the victim RIP as for the driver of the other vehicle yes I know who he is but refuse to comment until other details are forth coming and not on this forum.

That is a really bad place to have a u turn perhaps it should be earmarked for closure,in fact during holiday times it is closed for a week , and traffic flows better. The traffic police actually man this u turn during peak periods as it is so bad.

Edited by sappersrest

I think part of the problem is the faster bikes these days, a lot of Thai drivers, especially older generation, are just not used to bikes passing them. They see a bike coming and think scooter, only to realise that it's going faster than they can...

If it was not a Thai driving the pickup, I would expect them to be more aware of this 'phenomenon'... I don't know the full facts of this accident though..

I read several very defensive posts about gear written by you in another section- sorry if I assumed incorrectly about your posting intent in this thread, but you have often had a problem with people who advocate wearing decent gear as the only proper way to ride (a view which I share, but wasn't advocating here- I was pointing out my observation)).

We seem to have very different definitions of 'rave'- regardless, my comment regarding helmet use in this case was likely correct, and I stand by it. If you have a issue with my speculating as to the cause (as well as the corroborating speculation of an eyewitness to the accident), well, that's your problem, not mine.

In reference to your edit (not quoted above), certainly there were likely other injuries- however, a fatality called at the scene- with the photographic evidence of a lot of blood in the head area- points to a head injury being the most likely cause of death (which is the most common cause of death among riders with inferior helmets or no helmet at all- if you talk to anyone who works with emergency medical services in Thailand, they'll confirm that). Again, it was my opinion, and I never stated it as anything more than the most likely possiblity.

My insinuation of rave was your mentioning my own personal choices on other forums in this particular thread..no relevance here at all!So a rave for sure [iMO}

Comprehension obviously also not your forte...'I never said that head injury was not likely..i said that looking at the damage to the pick up, that high speed impact would have resulted in more than just head trauma also note i said In My Opinion.coffee1.gif

Honda CRF 250 vs Toyota Vigo..... I know which one comes away in better condition every time. As a result whenever Im out riding on my CRF, my peripheral vision is working overtime. I treat every intersection as a possible accident waiting to happen and never take for granted that larger vehicles will wait for me to pass before pulling out. Scan ahead and think of escape routes to possible scenarios ..... defensive driving helps.

Its still an eye opener when you see accidents like this. The rider lost his life and the Vigo drivers life will be altered forever. Its not something that I ever want to experience.

As the police sergeant on Hill Street Blues always said and the end of the morning brief..... "Hey, be safe out there"

I'm somewhat confused by the 'direction' of the accident. If the truck was struck on the right front quarter while making a U-turn, the bike must have been traveling in the same direction on its right side. So was the truck making its turn from the lane of travel, or from the U-turn lane. If if was from the U-turn lane, why was the bike traveling inside the turn radius? Judging from the distance that the bike and rider traveled AFTER the collision, it doesn't seem the bike was moving all that fast.

Did the bike cut off the truck, or did the truck cut off the bike? Was the truck making a U-turn across two lanes of traffic?

Regardless of who was at fault, two lives will never be the same. RIP

Edited by FolkGuitar

Any casualty is very sad. I'm currently teaching my wife to drive and although I'm sure my mantra of "mirror, signal, action" gets tiresome she's beginning to see how awareness of everything going on around the car is vital and no matter who gets hurt it's life changing for everyone involved. Or worse.

Seeing the severe damage to the driver's side of the pickup, it makes me wonder if the driver wasn't making a right turn from a side road across the traffic flowing from the right. Not that it matters, it's still a tragedy.

The U-turn and intersection on the 118 is directly infront of the Windy Equestrian Club which is on the south side of the hi way. The market is directly across the hi way on the north side. GPS 18.8439792613, 99.0744869956 This market has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and is hugely popular by Thais and foreigners, it can be a night mare at times on the 118 in the area. In the past 10 years I can thank of at least 6 killed at this U-turn. As for the victim RIP as for the driver of the other vehicle yes I know who he is but refuse to comment until other details are forth coming and not on this forum.

Very true. All these U-turns are dangerous, but this one is especially bad. Having a U-turn directly in front of a busy market isn't the smartest location.

You have people U-turning to get into the market, people leaving the market, people driving past the market. Recipe for disaster.

I have no idea who was at fault here. But if it wasn't the vigo driver then I hope he isn't taken advantage of.

Yes the U turn scenario doesnt quite seem right upon viewing the damage and location of damage to the Vigo. Also the direction that the wheels of the Vigo are pointing is strange, thats not to say that the Vigo wasnt moved after the accident. The markings on the road from the CRF (Fuel spill or hydraulic brake fluid and footpeg scrape) tend to show that the CRF was coming from the opposite direction to the Vigo.

The Vigo certainly took a big impact on the drivers wing which looks like it was more a direct hit than a glancing blow. Nasty stuff

Its all a bit weird looking, hopefully the BiB can sort it out and enlighten us so that we can all learn and be aware of possible similar dangers out there...... if that makes sense?

It's ridiculous that people are still perpetuating this myth. I had a serious crash here and no-one even remotely suggested it was my fault because I'm a foreigner. Why people perpetuate this myth is beyond me. Maybe it's because they have a chip on their shoulder and feel like they are always the victim, or maybe it's because they want to show everyone how 'well-informed' they are and how much of a smart-arse they are. I'm sure the insurance companies wouldn't want to pay out on such a basis.

My insinuation of rave was your mentioning my own personal choices on other forums in this particular thread..no relevance here at all!So a rave for sure [iMO}

Comprehension obviously also not your forte...'I never said that head injury was not likely..i said that looking at the damage to the pick up, that high speed impact would have resulted in more than just head trauma also note i said In My Opinion.coffee1.gif

I think you're the one who needs to work on his reading comprehension (I never said the head trauma was the only injury, but it's most likely what led to a death on the scene, and obviously a decent helmet would have helped in that regard- judging by the VAST majority of riders in LOS, he wasn't wearing one, though I concede he might have been- you see, as I didn't say anything definitive, I was also posting opinion), but, whatever, I'll continue to post my opinion as I see fit.:)

Really, when you read the words 'maybe', 'probably', etc the poster is expressing an opinion (which is what I did)- when someone says things like 'definitely' or 'absolutely' (which I didn't) it's an expression of fact- see the difference? You took exception with my opinion, and I took exception to your taking exception, and so on- see how that works? And guess what else- what you post over your time on a forum colors the opinion others have of you and your past consistent views (such as always getting defensive when someone mentions the value and efficacy of a good helmet, and that a smart riders avails himself of one) are indeed germane as to how someone responds to you, so what you have previously posted does indeed have relevance.

In the future, please feel free to post your opinions without using mine as a reference, and you can be sure I'll do the same.

Edited by flare